Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:11 am 

Hi Guys:
Researching Datsun and Datsun 240Z history is so much fun!!

After years of looking, searching, asking etc etc... I finally had an opportunity to speak to "the Man" when it comes to the subject of the International Preview of the Datsun 240Z - at the Pierre Hotel in New York, 22 Oct. 1969.

Mr. Dunn one of the principles of the P.R. Firm of Dunn/Cheney was kind enough to give me a call. We talked for about an hour, then had a follow-up call a few days later for another hour.

I put the resulting article up on "the Z Car Home Page" http://ZHome.com in the "History Section". You can read it there if you are interested. See: "Introducing The Datsun 240Z 1969".

Some information, that I will share with you - that isn't yet in the article - because it will require more research / documentation - is interesting none the less.

Mr. Dunn said that he had turned over all his old documents and records to Nissan H.Q. in L.A. years ago - even though he didn't really feel that anyone there was interested. Today he wishes he had kept it all and given it to the Datsun Heritage Museum...

Mr. Dunn said that in 1969 the center of the Automotive Press in the U.S. was Detroit - and he had suggested introducing the Datsun 240Z there. Nissan Management in Japan nix'ed that saying that they didn't want to seem disrespectful nor stir up a reaction like that of 1960. So New York was selected because of its position as the business and financial center.

I ask Mr. Dunn if he could tell me what color the 240Z on display was - - he said that to tell the truth, it was so long ago and he was so busy with promotion and arrangements etc - he wasn't absolutely certain - but as he recalls it was.... Gold. Turned out not to be a good color for photographs taken in the Ballroom, and most newspapers used the Press Release Package Photo's provided.

I ask Mr. Dunn if by chance he looked at the VIN... which of course he hadn't, however he said it had to have been one of the first - as it left Japan on an airplane a week before the event was to open in N.Y. the 22nd. After the event the car was again loaded on a charter flight to arrive at L.A. on the 24th where it would be presented to the Nissan employees and local press.

This is where it gets somewhat more fuzzy... Mr. Dunn thought that the car was then flown to the SCCA ARRC at Daytona for display Nov. 26-30, 1969

So this leaves me wondering... Was it Gold?, Could it have gone to a Dealer on the East Coast after being displayed at Daytona? Of course it could have been any one of #9 through #12.... or I wonder - could it have been #13?

FWIW,
Carl B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:34 am 

WOW! :shock:

We are not yet finished researching the entire story of Lucky#13, so anything is possible. We know the car is shown as 'arriving' in Hampton VA, but we ASSUMED it got there by boat!

Now, if it traveled by air to all those locations before arriving in VA for sale, that would certainly give Jim's #16 more than enough time to arrive in TX and be sold before the earlier VIN #13, wouldn't it? So that part of the story sure fits. And Datsun certainly wouldn't have cared much about selling or shipping cars "in order" of their VINs, anyway.

We are still trying to back-track the previous owners of #13, but if we learn this is the same car, it will add yet another distinction to an already stunning pedigree.

Write the book Carl, write the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:04 pm 

Veeeeeery interesting!

If 00006 was green, 00007 was red and 00008 was silver, then what car was this?

Doubtful it was 00013 as that car was specifically shipped to a dealer for sale.

Bob Sharp has stated that the car at the NY Auto Show was GREEN then sent to Toronto where the model infamously sat on the roof and dented it, thus becoming the #33 BSR race car (car 00006).

If the car was in fact gold ( I tend to doubt that recollection of Mr. Dunn), then could it have been 00009 to 000012?

Don't you wish you could go back in time sometimes?

:wink:

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:32 pm 

(Yes I do, with about $10,000 in my pocket!)

We've not yet confirmed how #13 arrived at Hampton Va; the previous owner simply alluded that, based upon documentation he found in the car when he bought it. He also felt the car had been sold new by a dealer in NC, according to other documentation.

Considering Carl's findings, it could be possible that #13 could have been flown around to be shown off, before being placed into the "business mill" to be sold. There were only about 20 Z cars on the first boatload, so if they randomly picked one for a demo & display tour, #13's chances of being picked would have been about 5%. Not big, but certainly possible.

I would say the chances of this GOLD demo car being #13, are AT LEAST as good as having three 1970 240Zs being delivered to a Honolulu dealership, then independently finding their ways 6,000 miles to live less than 400 miles apart 40 years later! :lol:

I think the bigger question would be 'how many GOLD 240Zs were released in the first export?'. That would certainly narrow the chances of this press car being #13.

It boggles the mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:15 pm 

I'm just too speechless at this point to add anything to the discussion;
when did you last see that happen?

But it would indeed be nice, even great, if by some chance Dave Nelson
still had those papers and/or documents hanging around. Perhaps he
would be willing to part with them, inasmuch as he hasn't owned the car
for over 33 years. I, or should I say we as a Z family, would be gratified
to add those to the archival record which should stay with Lucky 13
wherever she goes.

All Z Best,.............................Kathy & Rick