Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:26 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:11 pm 

***Work in Progress***

Here are some of the ways to get a little (or a lot) extra power from your VG.

Air Flow

Intake
No one to my knowledge makes an intake kit for our cars, whether "CAI" or "Short Ram"

MSA sells what they call a kit. It's not really. All you need is your choice of drop in, or a cone filter, a 3" pipe and some clamps. You can ditch the resonator box and gain a little more growl.

Throttle Bodies

The 300zx throttle body is 53mm. You can get a larger throttle body from a KA 240sx or a Stanza. Both are 60MM units from the factory.The 240sx has water lines on the opposite side and the Stanza has the water tube facing the opposite way. I prefer the Stanza TB.

Upper Intake Manifold

A larger Throttle Body wont net you much gain unless you port the upper manifold. Now you may see better throttle response but you wont truly benefit from the TB upgrade unless you gut your plenum. The upper manifold is a restriction to increased power in this platform.

Gutted plenums are available on a regular basis from fellow enthusiast. Expect to pay between $300-$375. Sheet metal plenums are also available on a custom basis with quick turn around.
MGP

Sheet Metal (Diabolic Z)

Porting
Porting the lower intake Manifold and Cylinder heads will provide LOTS of good airflow. Big room for improvement here, but costly.

With in the Z community contact, Steve Sebes, SCS Motorsport

Cam Shafts

Cams made by Nissan and JWT are ground on new Nissan cam blanks. Reground cams are simply stock cams ground to give the desired longer durations and higher lift.You can order custom cam grinds.

Type / Manufacturer Duration (Int/Exh) Lift in Inches Cost in US Dollars
Stock Z31 Cams 242/242 Turbo and non .385" They should be in your car!
European Z31 Cams 264/262 Turbo and non .392" Unknown
NISMO Z31 Cams 264/262 Turbo and non .392" About $400
Motorsport Auto VG30ET 262/256 Turbo car only .420" $169.95 Exchange only
Motorsport Auto VG30ET 270/262 Turbo car only .420" $169.95 Exchange only
Motorsport Auto VG30E 260/260 N/A car only .420" $169.95 Exchange only
Motorsport Auto VG30E 270/270 N/A car only .427" $169.95 Exchange only
Motorsport Auto VG30E 280/280 N/A car only .435" $169.95 Exchange only
ISKY (Iskendarian Cams) 262/258 Turbo and non .450" About $200 Exchange only
PAECO DSV-5800 Street 280/280 Ideal Turbo .328" $230 Each - $250/Core
PAECO DSV-6200 Strt/Strp 288/288 Turbo and non .360" $230 Each - $250/Core
PAECO DSV-6800 RACE 302/302 Turbo and non .373" $230 Each - $250/Core
Jim Wolf Technology (Turbo) Specs Proprietary Specs Proprietary ~ $450

Headers

For you non turbo guys MSA and Pacesetters sell Headers. You may need to fabricate some type of cross over to or merger to connect to your cat.

Turbo Manifolds

Previously one off items, Jon Martin from Diabolic Z Produces turbo relocation manifolds on a regular basis or to order. Great guy, good products.

Exhaust Systems

MSA will sell you a catback system for you Z. Good quality and sound. For a full Turbo Back, you only have one option. Certified muffler. They have products for your 2+0, 2+2, Turbo or Na, California or Federal. 3" down Pipes, Cats and exhaust systems in a few finishes packages or individually.
MSA
C.M.
Down Pipe
Test Pipe
Catalytic Converter
Cat Back

Drive-train Related:

Short Shifter

All NA transmissions use the same short shifter. Basically what MSA sells for $70 you can get on eBay cheaper or spend for the nice B&M . You will need a 240sx S13/S14 kit. With a good transmission tune up and some Redline MT-90 the shifter kit is pretty nice. The shifters reduce throws by 30-40%.

For guys with the Borg Warner T5, you can get a kit from B&M for the Mustang. $$$

Nismo Roller Bearing
A replacement for the Brass Pilot bushing, it contains needle bearings and is suppose to reduce friction = quicker revs and more power to the wheels.

Flywheel

Around 11 lbs, this thing will let your Z rev like a demon. Awesome when paired with a Roller Bearing, Aluminum Drive-shaft and BOOOOST! Careful, revs will drop a lot quicker so you will have to get your Heel-to-Toe technique Down.
Fidanza
SSG

Drive-Shaft
Aluminum Driveshaft:
Again, less rotational mass, faster revs, more power to the wheels. Expect between $300 and $375 from a capable shop. Carbon Fiber one offs will be around $1000.

Clutch Kits

To many to list, but there is some good info to be had. You will likely want a 240mm flywheel as most of the after market kits fit that size. If you have a non-turbo and add a turbocharger, you can use the 1986 OEM clutch kit as it is the proper size for you NA flywheel. Of course you can use the appropriate aftermarket kit.

Other Awesome Stuff

Water/Methanol Injection
Nitrous Injection

Awesome! Nuff said.

Last edited by vagabond on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:12 pm 

Reserved for Future Use

Cooling

There are more ways to boost the performance of your Z31 than you thought. Especially with a Turbo. Some of these products will have a intial performance value for lowering intake charge, and a continued performance value for reducing temps lead to heat soak, whic will make you Z31 Turbo feel like and NA on a hot summer day and when you are out having too much fun.

Coolant
Simple Upgrade!
The more water you run the cooler your system will be. Water has a higher specific heat than glycol (whether ethylene or propylene) 100% water cools best, but can have have a negative impactt on the material that makes up your engine and cooling system, not to forget -WINTER (this is CTZCC) ! I personally run a 70/30 water/glycol mix.

At the maximum run 50/50 water/glycol. Any higher percentage of glycol will result in decreased cooling capacity.

Nismo Radiator Cap
Looks Cool
The Nismo Radiator Cap increases the pressure inside the radiator, thus raising the coolant boiling point and improving cooling efficiency. MAKE SURE YOU COOLANT SYSTEM IS HEALTHY!

*(NISMO) is rated at 18.2 lbs. O.E. caps rate around 12.6 lbs. for non turbo and 16.8 lbs. for turbo.

Lower Temperature Thermostat

You have two off the shelf choices. Nismo and Z31Parts. Enhance performance with a high quality thermostat and keep the entire engine running cooler.The reduced charge air temperature and reduced chamber temperature effected by use of a cooler thermostat will result in gains in power at all RPM, along with additional safety form a raised detonation threshold.
Z31Parts are a high quality 170 degree thermostat and keep the entire engine running cooler without fuel economy issues.

Nismo 160 degree thermostat will cause notable fuel economy, because of the ECCS's temperature enrichment. This wont matter if you run after market Engine Control.

Throttle Body Spacer Z31Parts
Already sized for 60mm TB upgrade.

Phoenolic-type spacers for isolating throttle body temperature from that of the upper intake plenum. Used either to further decrease intake charge temperature to insulate the intake plenum from heat while the coolant lines to the throttle body are left in place. (Even better with no coolant lines)

Plenum Spacer Z31Parts
No need for a lower intake manifold gasket!

This machined phoenolic-type intake plenum spacer provides a barrier for heat from the lower intake manifold to enter the upper intake plenum. Heat transmitted into the aluminum upper intake from the lower intake heats the intake air and reduces the engine's power potential. Preliminary tests have shown between 20 and 80 degree F drops in intake plenum temperature, depending on conditions.

*The 3/8" thickness also increases the intake runner length by the same 3/8" (.375").

Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

Cooler Intake temps, but possibly sacrificing engine warm up in the winter. Who the heck drives their Z in the winter?
:)
I haven't run coolant through my throttle body in years, and besides a little idle fluctuation for a few minutes (Do to other factors as well) I have no driveablility issues in the snow other than traction.

EGR Removal

It recirculates exhaust gases back into your intake, cooling combustion chamber temperatures. It also reduces the number of fresh oxygen molecules in your intake. However if you have other methods of cooling your combustion temps, and a custom ecu tune for emissions you might get away with out it.

*You need it for emissions, so you should probably leave it. Otherwise I have had NO driveablity issues.

Electric Fan

Removing the mechanical fan from your Z31 will free up room in your engine bay and more important reduce rotational mass, freeing up more power for your wheels. Woo Hoo.

But, the Z electrical system (actually the alternator) doesn't produce much juice. If you have a Competition Stereo and HID lights you might notice some slight power issues when the bass hits and you are hit the boost.

Once again too many options to choose. No specific kits for the Z BUT people like to use a couple specific OEM units; Taurus Fan and the Maxima fan.

*The two most important things are A) 2500 CFM or Higher and B) MAKE SURE THERE IS A SHROUD FOR YOU RADIATOR.

*I use a Flex-A-Lite with built in shroud and it has performed fine so far (Non Turbo)

Upgraded Radiator

Sorry guys. No bolt on here. You will have to go to a retailer like Summit Racing and enter in the specs you want into the filter or head to a local Radiator shop and have one made. Expect between $275-400 for a good cooling unit.

I wont leave you hanging. Here are some dimensions.

Water Injection

Water injection, also known as anti-detonant injection, is a method for cooling the combustion chambers of engines by adding atomized water to the cylinder, largely eliminating the problem of engine detonation. This effectively increases the octane rating of the fuel, meaning that performance gains can be obtained when used in conjunction with a supercharger or turbocharger, altered spark ignition timing, and other modifications.

You can make your own kit or by one. Commercial kits are $200+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:36 pm 

*Reserved For Future Use*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:52 pm 

Maannnn, I LOVE this Club! :wink:

Vagabond, where are you getting all these great photos? Off the internet, or do you own a speedshop?!

Back in 1977 my stock 2-row aluminum radiator was beginning to have overheating issues, so I replaced the core with a 4-row copper unit. It was one of the few good items which didn't get scavenged off my car when I sold it. I was really happy to see the radiator was still in it when I bought the car back a year and a half ago.
During restoration, I had the ends cut off and 'cored' the radiator (rods pushed thu it to clean it) then rewelded together again. I can push the car as hard as I want but can't make the needle pass the half-way point, and normal driving leaves it at 1/4 of the gauge.

Keep this stuff coming!

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:35 pm 

I'm doing a a variation of a V-mount set up due to the Z31's wacky angled radiator position. There is a radiator shop in Meriden, Ct I was hoping could build me something nice for less than the $300 Griffins online. I'll have to wait on that for a few months.

I'm surpeised more people don't get custom rads instead of all these pricey universal ones. They are fairly cheap, will fit perfect and you get to help out you local businesses.

Some pics of the stuff (A LOT) I own, other stuff is from the retailers web sites. I'm not profiting, so I only put captions on pics from individuals cars/products that aren't already public domain.

I do, probably, about an hour of solid researching Z31 related stuff a night on average. I have the time until a) I can get back to work b) my school load increases.

Hope this will help the Z31 guys. I'm tired of seeing broke looking, slow, bouncy Z31s while there are 20,000 1992 Civics buzzing around, looking better and probably faster.

I still have more to update. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:49 am 

Ahhhhh ~ a man with a QUEST! Nothing is stronger!

Keep up the great work. Every ZX owner needs this, and the rest of us are learning new stuff about the cars everytime you post.

Frank