Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Vibration in Drive Line
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:36 pm 

I had some one tell me that by the Seat of there paints they feel a vibration in the drive line. My car which is new to me was my Dad's and he does not re-call a vibration , Althought the past 3 years he only put about 1500 miles a year due to hip replacement ( which explains how I ended up with it.

So my plan at this point is to get the tires balanced, to elminate flat spots, then im not sure ..... anyone with expertise please let me know

Thanx

Rob

Last edited by Robert.Dillon on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:55 pm 

Well Rob, I'll make an assumption and guess you're talking about a Z...

But could you give some specifics as to the Z you're talking about?
The year would be a good start, mileage would be good too :wink:

Post subject: My Car
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:46 pm 

1994 300zx 2+2 132,000 NA

Engine replace about 10k ago and Tran about 9k ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:59 pm 

The Z32 has a 2 piece drive-shaft. With high mileage the center carrier bearing gets worn, and that could be the source of your vibration.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:57 am 

So , at this point I have removed the Exhaust from the car a found that the Driver side Cat is Cloged. This may explain my difficulty in getting the car threw emmissions.

also I have some one who Builds Drive shafts for Race cars willing to build one for me at cost , But I am unsure weather removing the factory 2 piece can cause problems. Is there sheilding that has to be removed to fit a 1 piece? etc...

Also with a Cat that is cloged .... what should I do with that ..... replace just the one and call it a day .... There is the problem of Extra cash . The wife may not allow me to part with much to take care of this so I would think that a Cat back system would be out of the question...? Do you have to remove the entire down pipe to replace the cat , or just cut it off ? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 am 

Well an exhaust shop should be able to set you up with a replacement cat but cats are not cheap. Test-pipes are a less expensive, though possibly not legal for road use in CT, alternative. Another option is to check the classified section of twinturbo.net for used cat pipes.

I'm running a one-piece drive shaft with no issues. You should look into replacing the transmission mount when you replace the DS as they also wear out/sag over time/miles

Post subject: Cat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:03 pm 

Thanx ... I did not even think of the Trans mount. I know that about 3 years ago or about 8000 mile ago my Dad had the Trany replaced with a factory rebuild... big bucks i guess , so I will add the mount to my list ..

Also do all of the Heat shield's fit? why did nissan not just put a 1 piece from the factory ? seems as if it would have been less money ?

Ok ... Thanx again

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:58 pm 

I think the 2-piece unit is supposed to transmit less NVH (Noise-Vibration-Harshness) to the cabin.
My Z already had a straight through exhaust, and urethane bushings and metal ball-joints where Nissan had rubber bushings, so I didn't notice any additional NVH with the addition of the One-Piece DS :wink: I haven't heard of complaints about the One-Piece DS from others either though.

The one thing I have heard, is that if you install a One-Piece DS, that it may need to be clocked after initial installation. If you take the car out after installation and feel vibrations, put the car back in the air, disconnect the DS from the Diff, rotate it 25 degrees, and bolt it back up. You may need to repeat this procedure a few times. This tends to quell any vibrations that were present after first install. If you go all the way around the DS probably needs to be balanced. As you have a friend who builds them I doubt you'll have to deal with these issues though, as they should know what the deal is from the start.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:47 pm 

Removed the Drive Shaft and found a Bad U-joint at the Diff. It makes a Poping sound as it rotates and you can tell it is not right.... so ... the New Aluminum Drive Shaft will be built by Monday or Tuesday and hopfully I'll have it installed shortly there after... I am just happy that there was a Problem found and now I will have Grees able fittings with new u-joints

Later

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:27 pm 

Glad you found your issue, let us know what you think of your new DS.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:13 pm 

Well , Just a quick update ... I have recived the New drive shaft and installed it. I put new gaskets on the old stock exhaust... Needless to say the vibration is gone in the 40-60 mph range... it is also smooth threw the 120 range.... So I am happy.... I took pictures and as soon as I figure out how to upload them i will... Rob :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:36 pm 

Rob (and others),
To upload pictures to the Member's Rides section, just send an e-mail to our webmaster Jim Hagani at webmaster@ctzcc.com. In your e-mail, tell him the password you would like to use. He will then e-mail you back your ID and password. This will be different than the ID and password used for the Discussion Foum. Regards, Ross

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:29 pm 

Hey Robert, this discussion was 10 years ago. How about an update? How's your ZX now?

Frank