Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:15 am 

Would greatly appreciate any recommendations or advice on using car transporters. I bought a car in Louisiana that needs to be shipped to CT. Were it not for the bad weather potential, I would have flown there to pick it up. I have no experience in using transporters and would welcome any advice on the finer points such as insurance and choice of carrier. Thanks.

CT plate PHILSZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:15 pm 

I have used Intercity Lines several times, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for an enclosed transport. I believe they are headquartered right in MA. I will forewarn you that it can be very costly, however :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:45 pm 

I spent considerable time exploring this question when Rick Morgan transported his valuable Z collection a few years back, then again when he sold them. Professional transporters offer several advantages (enclosed or open carry, hi-value insurance) but they were very costly and made you work at THEIR schedule, rather than work for yours. They also only guaranteed a wide window of time (3-5 days!) within which they would deliver the car, and would only deliver it to your specifically-named designee. That put the receiving person on the spot for hanging around the delivery point until the car was delivered.
They often waited until they could load several cars headed in the same direction, then scheduled your pickup or drop off along the way. If you weren't there when they were, they continued on their route with your car and delivered it on their way back.
Researching customer complaints I noticed a scamming trend among BROKERS, far more than among delivery companies. Brokers would agree on a very reasonable price for your delivery, collect your money and pick up your car. But as the drop-off date approached and you contacted them, they would claim they "couldn't find a driver at that price" and inform you you had to either wait another few weeks for delivery, or pay (a LOT) more money to have it delivered on time. They gave instructions on how to make your increased payment, then stopped returning your calls. As soon as you caved to this scam and sent the extra money, your car magically appeared at the time/date/location originally agreed on. It was a wide-spread problem and many brokers got pinched, closed up shop and resurfaced under a different name. The companies themselves don't seem to do this; only the brokers. There are also prohibitions against transporting any personal belongings within your cars, for obvious reasons.

I was very happy to deal with an independent driver from Georgia (or Carolina?) named Hugh, (848) 461-0700, who brought his personal transporter up here, picked up the cars individually and transported them safely to Florida without a single problem. He allowed us to ship car parts with the vehicles, and secured them safely for each trip. He's retired from his first career and has done this work independently now for many years. Very nice guy; you'd wish he was your backyard neighbor. He's also the best deal we found, anywhere. Hugh also remained in frequent telephone contact with us along his route, so we knew where the cars were at all times.

Tell him you're our member and remind him of the valuable Zs he transported for us a few years back. I helped him load some of the cars and I send him my best regards. I recommend him highly. I hope he's still in business.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:47 pm 

Thanks for the tip, Frank. I'll give Hugh a call. I particularly appreciate the insight on the games that brokers play. I received a very good quote from a broker that someone in a local classic car club used several times. I will make a point about being careful about demands for more money after the car has shipped.

CT plate PHILSZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:57 pm 

Yeah, I don't feel like the drivers or transport companies themselves are in on that. I think they just quote you the uncomfortably high price right up front, take it or leave it, like Demo says. But the brokers can lure you into thinking they can save you a thousand dollars. Once they have your car and your deposit, THEN they tell you it will cost another $1,000 or so to get your car on time.
I suspect the transport companies don't know anything about that, and the broker simply contracts them when they have extorted your extra money. At that time the professional carriers simply collect and haul your car, without knowing what happened btwn you and the broker.
Buyer, beware.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:04 pm 

You can also try the Uship website to get quotes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:51 pm 

I received a recommendation from a local car enthusiast. It worked out really well. I used an enclosed transporter to bring a Z from Louisiana to Westport for $1,350. The name of the broker is C.A. Freeman owner of C Auto Transport c1auto@aol.com, 405-708-1373. I found the guy to be honest and responsible. I do appreciate that there are risks with any broker. However, going straight to one of the major shipping companies would have cost more like $3,500.

CT plate PHILSZ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:08 pm 

:thumbs_up: That sounds like an excellent deal!
Please let us know how it all works out, and if you're happy with the result.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:08 pm 

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

For reference for anyone else who stumbles upon this thread, I was very pleased with Golden Key Express - https://goldenkeyexpress.com/auto-transport/

I used them when I sent my 510 out to California, and had a buddy who used them as well for his. They are a small transport company that owns their own trucks, and does not broker their shipments out. Once your car is on the truck it stays with that driver till it is delivered. The car does need to be running but they were able to accommodate my at the time temperamental 510. As Frank mentioned you are a bit at the whim of their schedule, but they were very communicative through the whole process, I was in touch directly with the driver for both pick up and drop off.

I would definitely use them again if I had to ship a car across the country.

I'll have to save Hugh's number - always good to have some options - especially a "hot shot" small load hauler for the East Coast.

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z