Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:13 am 

Hello Datsun friends!

I apologize for my long absence from our forums and from any real Z activity other than the occasional drive.

I've been sidelined these last few years with a significant family challenge. In the spring of 2017 my son Graham suffered a traumatic brain injury. He was riding a skateboard with a friend down a long hill and wiped out at the bottom on the pavement. Despite our rules, he wasn't wearing a helmet. He fractured his skull and spent nine days in Yale New Haven Hospital's ICU. For most of that time he was asleep or unconscious for 22-23 hours per day. When he was awake, he remembered very little of the family, his friends or his life. To say that it has been a long road back would be an understatement. It's been the most challenging period of our lives to get him the physical, mental and emotional help that he needed during this time. Without going into further details, I'll just say that we've been to hell and back since that fateful day. The good news is he is almost where he should be. He is headed into his senior year in a therapeutic day school, which is preparing him to enter college. He likes "business" and "cars". Not sure where those interests derive from.

So I have been long absent from the Z scene and while I've missed all of you, my complete attention has been needed elsewhere. For those that feel I dropped off the face if the earth, I hope this helps you to understand. I know I don't owe you this story but I consider you to be friends and I'm therefore not hesitant to share it.

Another bit of news is that I will be retiring from my job with the New York region of the United Methodist Church next June 30th. At that time I will have been there almost eleven years after working in the corporate world for another 25. It will be time. We've always had a summer place in Jamestown RI, and about a week ago we bought a year-round residence there. Our house in Darien is already on the market but is not seeing a lot of activity. If it sells soon, we will remain in Darien in a rental until next June 30th. But I think the house will be around for awhile and I am hoping to have the fifteenth Fall Outing there this October. I say "hoping" because the pandemic introduces a level of caution and uncertainty that we never had to deal with before.

I can't say that I will become active again with "Z"s because this pandemic has made my job far more difficult and that is what I spend most of my time focused on. We are currently dealing with the very complex dilemma of how we open our 430 churches in safe and responsible ways. Some of them simply won't reopen as they were financially weak to start with.

There is one Z highlight for me during this period and that is when I was invited to bring my 1978 Black Pearl to the International Auto Show at the Javits Center for Nissans' 50th anniversary. This was in the spring of 2019. My car was displayed on the floor with some other vintage examples for the entire run of about ten days. It was an awesome experience.

I'm sure many of you have your own stories to share of the difficulties you have faced recently. Many of us know people that have been affected in both small and significant ways by this virus.

I hope and pray that you are well and will again share stories, laughter and friendships in some parking lot warmed by the sun.

Sincerely,

Ross

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am 

Ross, there are no words to describe how great it is to "hear" you back in here. We have all missed you like our own father.

I can't imagine the heartbreak you and Brenda must have gone thru over this, but if you have dealt with TBI for the past years I'm confident you are bolstered by the amazing recent progress made in that field, especially following our fighting in the Middle East. Graham will certainly benefit from the new advancements made in that field.

You've been in many prayers, and Graham will be, too. It would be wonderful to Zee you again if possible. Please remember you have over 800 friends who know and care about you personally. If there's ever anything I can do to help you in any way, I will be deeply hurt if you don't ask.

It has just made my day to hear from you again. My best to your entire family.

Frank

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:52 am 

Ross, our thoughts are with you and your family. Thanks for reaching out to us.

Best Regards,

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:26 pm 

Your son's accident shook me deeply. I am sure that Graham will recover completely and do an excellent education. Rhode Island is undoubtedly going to be a great new chapter, what a wonderful place, I envy you a lot. You are a role model for all of us, Ross. I would be very happy if we see each other again soon, among our Z friends.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:09 pm 

It's good to hear from you, Ross. I'm so sorry about your son. It's great to know that he's been progressing well though.. Most of us can't imagine the journey you've been through, and its good that you have managed to find some positives in all of this. May your little guy keep healing, and your family's eventual move go smoothly.

Maybe we'll see you one more time this fall, President Williams.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:37 am 

Good to hear from you. I hope Graham pulls through, shocking news to hear. Good luck with everything, hope to Z ya sometime.....maybe a fall outing?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:20 pm 

Ross/Brenda
Just saw this...very sad news but it soundz like you've "turned the corner".
Best of luck.
Al/Rene