Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:18 pm 

I just watched one of the best "gearhead" flix I've seen so far on Netflix. It's called "Shelby America" and accurately depicts the true story of the development of some of the most iconic cars our time, the Ford Cobra, Daytona, GT40 and Shelby Mustang. Great original film footage and racing history, including the famous 1,2,3 win at the 1966 Le Mans race. Good bio on Carroll Shelby describing how he started out as a poor chicken farmer in Texas to being one of the most famous car designers in the world. I had the pleasure of meeting with Carroll Shelby at the Watkins Glen grand prix race back in the late 60's. His "mojo' still lives with me! :)

Check this film out!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:26 pm 

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:20 pm 

I have watched this flick about 5 times so far, and I retain something new each time I watch it. There was a brief clip of Bob Sharp pushing a Roadster, and another brief glimpse of a 510 which might have been his as well. Great to hear the comments by Brock and Morton too.

My first exposure to Shelby was in the 1950s when he kept winning races in the 250F and Birdcage Maserati (plural). In 1959 he and Roy Salvador won the 24 hrs of LeMans in the first DBR-1 Aston Martin, altho they totally destroyed the "Moss" gearbox doing it. Roy was a frequent flyer in F-1 Grand Prix cars during those years, while Shelby stayed in GT grands prix.

I remember the day Carrol Shelby died. The CT streets and highways were filled with "Fake Snake" Cobras (and, I'm sure, any real ones which were roadworthy) on that day, traveling either individually or together. In fact, anybody who had any Shelby-related car was out that day.

I was tickled to learn Shelby's friends couldn't agree about how many times he had been married! :lol: Shelby himself even denied being married to some women who his family had their wedding pictures of!

A true American hero, blessed to have been racing during America's Golden Age of motorsport.

A little-known fact;
The 1950s and '60s were the most-dangerous decades of professional motorcar racing. Cars had become extremely fast, post-war race courses were hideously dangerous, accident response and medical care were totally insufficient, the cars had no seatbelts, inadequate tires and few even had rollbars. Fuel tanks ruptured and exploded during even light accidents. Scores of great drivers were killed during those two decades, in spite of their driving skill.
But three of them outlived the others to retire and live well into their 80s and 90s; Stirling Moss, Roy Salvadori, and Carrol Shelby...all 3 who drove the Aston Martin DBR-1 in the victorious 1959 LeMans French Grand Prix.

Attachments:
File comment: Roy Salvadori left, Big Carrol Shelby center in his signature chicken farmer's ranch overalls, and the great Sir Stirling Moss right; team Winners of the 1959 LeMans 24 hour Grand Prix race in Aston Martin's DBR-1 (David Brown Racing, 1st model).
Roy-Salvadori.jpg
Roy-Salvadori.jpg [ 64.52 KiB | Viewed 1876 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:00 pm 

I also recommend watching "24 hour war" now on NETFLIX. It's the story of the early and mid-1960s battle for GT dominance btwn Ford and Ferrari. Much information there about Shelby's contribution to Ford snatching the victory from Ferrari by winning LeMans 1-2-3 in 1966.
(What size cojones did it take to be a flagman in those days, standing on the finish line while everyone tried to get there first at 130mph)?

Attachments:
File comment: Ford conquers Ferrari to win leMans 1-2-3 1966
546b6fc5aad28_-_conquering-le-mans-1966-lg.jpg
546b6fc5aad28_-_conquering-le-mans-1966-lg.jpg [ 165.16 KiB | Viewed 1876 times ]