Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:02 am 

Hi Z guys and gals,

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9505

After a lot of time, and soul searching, I've decided to let my Z go. It was my passion and ultimate project, and I spent 21 years taking care of her. That said, I've come to the realization that I'm not at a place in my life where a project car is (or should be) a priority. I don't see myself rebuilding her anytime soon so I'm hoping to find her a new home. Hopefully someone will be able to revive another 260Z using the parts....all that's really needed is another shell.

There are way too many great things to type, but just know she was, still is actually, tip top mechanically.

Details are;

62k miles, numbers match
2900 miles on the engine since a very thorough, professional rebuild (I have the receipt for 3k) runs beautifully
ZTherapy SUs
New clutch set, resurfaced flywheel
New champion aluminum radiator
Immaculate interior (including UNCRACKED dash!)
Pristine NOS fuel tank (try finding one of those)
The doors survived the crash and are in great shape, as is the entire rust free front end
Suspension bushings, struts, springs, brakes, etc all have very little use as I replaced all of the wear items in 2015.

I feel $5k is a fair number to ask.

If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. I'm offering it here first, as I'd like to see it stay in the club.

The car is located in Pennsylvania

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:10 pm 

You know this saddens me. :cry:

I can appreciate your reluctance but I know it's the right thing to do. I just can't picture any way to reverse the damage it sustained, and swapping the entire rest of the car into another body shell would be a years-long project which would never be 100% correct.

Your car will live in my memory as the very best example of an early 260 I've ever seen since the mid-'70s. My personal advice would be to sell it altogether only, rather than making more money by parting it out and end up with a pile of unsaleable stuff in your yard. It's a sad thing to watch any Z be eaten by vultures bite by bite, and even more so when it's a car you personally loved. Every time you arrived or left home you would have to avert your eyes because it would hurt so much to see it being dismantled.

You should be guided in your pricing by bearing these factors in mind:
(1) the 260 was, technically, the rarest S30 made for the USA (other countries got them longer than we did).
(2) Yours was in exceptional condition, refurbished by Z professional Vinny Bedini
(3) In this, the 50th anniversary of the Z, prices of all S30s have increased across the board to about 30% more than they cost at this time last year. Your engine and driveline alone are considered to be one of the most desirable S30 applications, and yours has the preferred carbs instead of the fuel injection. You should not lose money on this car.

Remember, just because you are presently Z-less, doesn't mean you are no longer part of us. You only have to love the Z car to be one of us, and you can't quit a free Club.

My best regards to your dad, who got you interested in these cars to begin with by telling you the stories of his own Z adventures.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:23 pm 

Thanks Frank. I'll tell him you sent your regards. He still talks about how much fun our trip to the fall picnic was a few years ago. We really had a great time.

Our intention was to go again this year but the last few months have been unusually difficult for the two of us and we couldn't make it. I'll have to tell you about it some other time.

I want you to know that I'm really glad I became a member of this club (the only car club I've ever been a part of). Even more, I'm glad I was able to make it up from Pennsylvania to share my Z with you guys, and that my Dad was with me for the adventure. That was a very fun trip!

I wouldn't quit the club either, although I know you can't quit a free one haha, you told me that a few years ago. Thanks Frank!

Jay

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:44 pm 

Here is an out of the box idea if you want to try it.

Chip Foose has restarted "Overhaulin" where they fix up cars for people with a good story.
Maybe you could get your father inlaw to write to them, tell his tale and see if it something they might take on as a project ?
Might be at the worst a wasted stamp or e-mail but also might strike a cord with them and they do it.

Here is the link: https://how-to-apply-for-overhaulin-tv-show.pdffiller.com/

8) :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:35 pm 

:shock: Oh, MAN! Never heard of that. What a great idea!

With the power of advertiZing dollars powering the show, there might be a chance to save that magnificent 260!

In this, the 50th anniversary year of the Datsun Z, this car could be a perfect attention-gainer. Plus, it would be technically fascinating due to the 'frameless' rear end, where all the damage occurred.

So, who gets the car when it's finished?
And does his F-I-L get to make a public apology to all Z lovers on TV?

Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:07 pm 

Love this idea. It'd be pretty cool if it made the show! Thanks for suggesting it.

Happy New year to you guys. I hope 2020 brings wonderful things to all of you!!

Jay

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:58 pm 

Update - car is sold.