Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New Z
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:48 am 

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else feel like the new Toyota Supra does a better job capturing the essence of the original Z than the 370z does?

I think the proportions and lines are great and really make a good modern take on the original Z bodywork. It also helps that she's powered by a straight 6.

I don't know, I see more S30 in that car than I ever did in The 350/370 z's.

That said I think the 370z is an awesome car in it's own right, and probably the most fun to drive version they've made in stock form. Also I don't think Nissan was ever trying to pass the 370 off as a retro version. I guess I'm just saying that I think it'd be cool if the next Z looked more like the S30, and I think the Supra has allot of that look in it's genes.

Jay

Post subject: Re: New Z
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:44 am 

I agree Jay.

The new Supra to me is a bang on tribute to the Supra legend as well as a compliment to the S30 styling, something we Nissan fans have been waiting for for a long time. I had to respond to your post as this is the same discussion my son and I have been having of late.

Any Z in your future? We'd love to have you meet us in NY this month at the 2019 Motorfest.

Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:06 pm 

Toyota are not stupid and they learn from the past. They know the Z was the singular car which gave Datsun the sales lead over them which they never regained. Today they hear the wails and moans of Z lovers wishing for some rejuvenation of that design, and instead being offered a 350/370 platform from Nissan.

Toyota has sort of answered that call with the new Supra; it's a front-engine/rear drive 2/3-1/3 body proportion coupe with three engine options which include a rather simple inline 6. If people want just the old Z design, Toyota can provide a loud whisper of it in the Supra. If they want high performance, they can buy either of the two v-6 engines which are developed up into the 470hp ranges. But if they want real nostalgia and a very close proximity to the old S30, they can opt for the 335hp in-line 6 with variable valve timing, injection, and dohc.

with s-30 prices edging closer to $50,000 with each sale, I see a real market for the Supra (at $50k itself) with high-tech comfort, new car warranty and rust resistant space age materials. It's not a Z, and it can never actually be one. But having a really close second is far better than spending your lifetime pining for the real thing while driving a Neon. Hey, if you can't find a strawberry blonde, date a brunette.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:59 pm 

Sadly no John, no Z for me in the near future. We are in the process of building a new house currently, and we are actually fairly close to completion. Shooting to be moved in by the end of August. I hope. Buying a toy right now isn't really feasible, or much of a priority I'm afraid. Down the road though. Hopefully by then Nissan will have rolled out a new Z that I'm excited about, I can dream haha

I would love to go to motorfest but it overlaps another engagement of ours this year. I told Frank that I'm shooting for the fall picnic though. Looking forward to that.

Have a great time at the motorfest, and if you can take some more video at the Glen. I really enjoyed watching that last year!

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:18 pm 

Jay, I can certainly relate to those priorities as I went through them myself back in the day.

I look forward to seeing you again in October if Ross gives us the green light. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:21 pm 

Thank you John, I look forward to seeing you again too.

I think I might have put Ross on the spot. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:14 am 

I'm a fan of both. (and all other cool cars) :thumbs_up: IMO Nothing will come close to the 240 or S30 in general, and the 280zx was at least close. The only thing that can top it is the Ferrari 250 GTO or Toyota 2000gt and the Jag xj. All other Z's are great cars in there own making. The Toyota Supra is a great car in it's own making. As far as the new Supra, it looks closer to the old Z, but what I like is they use a straight 6. When Lexus first started they were all straight 6, (except the ES model,) or the awesome V8 the created. I never cared for a V6, even thow they can be good and produce alot of power. The Z was birthed with the straight 6 and should of continued. After all you can make a 500+ horse power straight 6. Needless to say, I wouldn't fork out any money on any car made today when all the cars I like are from the 90's.................or 1972. :D