Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Insurance nightmare
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:11 am 

While parked in a local bank parking lot, a young woman with child in one arm and parcels in the other managed to open her door just a bit to wide and "smack" a ding on the passenger door of my '07 350Z. It was small but certainly was something that would have to be repaired. I obtained name, copy of her insurance card and a photo of the license plate. Her name was not on the insurance card but all appeared to be in order.
I knew the damage was slight but I contacted my insurance carrier anyway. The next day I had an estimate for $769.00. The plan was to repair the door, paint the entire door and feather into the front fender and rear quarter. Now all I can see is a Z with paint that would match "almost" perfectly. Not good enough! Having used Dent Wizard before, I drove to a local Ford dealer who has a good body shop to inquire. Sure, it could be repaired by Dent Wizard for the cost of $159.00 (tax included). No paint necessary! I contacted my insurance again.
Their claim was they could only repair, by law, to the specs of the estimate and would go after the woman who caused the dent. She, or her insurance carrier, would be liable for the $769.00, I would receive a balance after deductible of $269.00 and the car would be repaired. As it turned out her insurance had lapsed making her liable for the entire amount. Not good!
I had the ding repaired beautifully by Dent Wizard. I then called my insurance company to inform them of what had been done. They would only work with the estimate information. This is not the "cowboy way".
I could not in good conscience understand why it had to be this way. So, I contacted the individual, told her the story and suggested she send me a money order or bank check for $159.00 and I would cancel the claim. She sent a money order which I cashed at the local Post Office.
I feel good knowing I saved her $610.00. My Z is good as new. My insurance company has erased the entire event.

Dent Wizard can repair minor dents only if the paint is not compromised.

Alan

Post subject: Re: Insurance nightmare
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:58 am 

That's scary. It could have gone sideways very easily and left you stuck. I'm very glad it worked out for you. I have a similar story about #2807 which I'll save for another day.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:53 am 

Glad it worked out for you Alan. You did the right thing too. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:00 pm 

You're a good man Mr. Dempsey! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:05 am 

Frank, Karl, John,

I know it could have gone "scary". But it did not! This, to me, is an indication that there is more good than bad in society and hopefully most folks are willing to honor their responsibilities. The worst scenario would have been my total worth would be $159.00 less. I was prepared to handle that.

Here's wishing ALL... safe, non-Z, travels in the colder months ahead and joys during the holiday season.

Peace,

Alan