Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 1971 240z Survivor(?)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:15 pm 

While on Ebay I ran across this nice looking 1971 240Z with 59 thousand plus original miles. Wow. Original paint, interior and looks rust free (dog legs, sills). I only saw one rust hole above the left tail light in the picture where the hatchback was open. Looks really good to me, but it's in California :cry: . Asking $15,995? Is that a good price for this SURVIVOR?
Gee... I wonder if it would survive a Road trip to NY/CT.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-Series-240Z- ... IC&vxp=mtr

Last edited by HowardJ on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:12 pm 

That's an excellent price for an original car, from anywhere. From California it's an outstanding opportunity for a 1971 car. Two of our members have bought 1971 cars from California and had them shipped here. They required nothing and when last seen were driving well.

HOWEVER, beware of non-existent cars which are offered for good prices. Unscrupulous people are well known to obtain pictures of other people's Zs, offer the car for cheap and just dupe people into sending them the retainer money to close the deal ("Just $5,000 down secures the deal, due 24hrs after the deal is closed").

One year we had several of our own members' cars appear on eBay for ridiculously low prices, demanding the immediate $3,000 deposit to hold the car, etc. The pictures came off our own Website's Members Rides forum.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:23 pm 

The link to this car wasn't posted in its entirety. Sorry about that. Here's my second attempt to copy and paste it correctly.
I think that there are too many detailed pictures to be a scam posting Frank, but it's always better to be overly cautious when looking at a car that claims to be a survivor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Z-Series-240Z- ... IC&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:11 pm 

Yeah, nothing would come up for me the way you sent the link the first time. I agree this is a real-deal. The car is not listed in Carl Beck's Z Registry so we can't tell much about it. It looks pretty darned good in the pictures they sent.

I always wonder why cars like this don't just sell locally? Everybody wants them now so they shouldn't even have to list it on eBay. Their next-door neighbor kid would probably kill to have a Series-II 240.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:52 am 

This car does look original and is probably well worth the asking price since decent examples of these series cars are getting pretty scarce. Lot's of good detailed pictures which to me shows a couple of things to be considered. The rear hatch window looks like it was once fitted with a louver kit. Also the rear hatch window rubber is missing the SS trim pieces which are becoming hard to come by from what I've heard. All the rubbers need to be replaced. Not sure about the dash. It looks good and must have been replaced.

I'm not sure I buy the fact that this car was only driven 59K miles and garaged all it's life though. She looks a bit more weather and sun worn than that. Not much rust though, just a few spots. A good car to restore to prime condition if you have the time and money. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:31 pm 

Nice find John, I love the orange paint and era correct wheels, no doubt on there since new.

Driving that back from California would be reason enough to buy it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:27 pm 

Sure would.

I've driven #02807 from coast to coast several times. It cost me one alternator, one Sears Roadhandler wsw tire, a headlamp and a few doZen sparkplugs. I even ventured into Canada for a west-to-east trip (3200 miles) and never even saw a Datsun dealer (or a cop!) up there, but had not a single problem with the car.

I zig-zagged west-to-east, south to north the first time in August ('76) but would certainly not make that mistake twice. Just too hot. I still have night sweats about Kansas, which is flat as a board and endless. In the days of CB radio you could talk to base stations for 30 minutes before dropping out of range. Shooting stars seemed to last forever. I would recommend the northern route over the southern route. There are stretches across Texas and parts of New Mexico so lonely you start talking to dead armadillos. Great stuff to zee along the northern route, also; Idaho was simply breathtaking. On the only trip when I kept track, I averaged almost 28mpg with everything I owned in the Z.