Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: CLASSIC CAR INSURANCE
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:46 am 

Does anyone have any claims experience with the classic car insurance companies?? The online reviews are mostly about ease of premium payment or gripes about how many coats of paint they pay for. I'm more interested in finding out who is reliable in terms of a real loss. I have a quote from American Collectors that is about half that of Hagerty for the same coverage. Can I trust them? A friend had an easy full agreed payout from Hagerty when a tree took out his Porsche. However, a premium that is double is a little hard to swallow.

CT plate PHILSZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:17 pm 

Hi Phil,
I vaguely recall a discussion with someone who had a classic car insurance company that was "half the
cost" of Hagerty's quote. He continued to tell me about some of the restrictions like.. the car must be going to or from a car event in order to process a claim. There were/might be yearly mileage restrictions; the car must be kept in a secured/locked enclosure and some insurers don't tell you that if you just cruise around on a leisurely drive and you encounter the dreaded "unforeseen" incident (and can't prove that you were going to a car event) you would NOT be covered. Duh! What kind of insurance is that? CHEAP... with zero coverage when you might need it Z most. Sooo...

Be very careful when trying to cut insurance costs. Ask a lot of questions and be sure to ask about all of the restrictions (CAN and CAN'T do's) that they place on you and your classic. More often then not, "You get what you pay for".

Good luck.

Howard J

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:11 pm 

Howard is correct. I had Classic Car Insurance but didn't like all the restrictions. I have had both Grundy and Hagerty which were a bit more but a lot less restrictive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:53 pm 

And Hagerty lets you decide the replacement value of your car (discussion btwn you and them, based on reality). Your premiums are based on how much you feel it would realistically cost to replace it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:25 pm 

American Collectors Insurance seem to offer reasonable terms - "pleasure use" up to 7,500 miles p.a.. That means staying out of the Shop-Rite parking lot, but ok for the beach, golf, pleasure outing etc.. No commuting. Not limited to car events. You can choose your own repair shop. All the terms and conditions seem ok. They offered to insure my Benz with an agreed value of $25k, no deductible and $500k liability for $385p.a..
But the proof of the pudding is in the eating. That's why I posted this question to see if there was any claims experience out there.
I'll take the advice to obtain a quote from Grundy.

CT plate PHILSZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 pm 

Grundy coming in about the same as American Collectors - about 50% of Hagerty.
Found a really interesting article on collector car insurance.....
acarplace.com/2016/03/insurance/

CT plate PHILSZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:35 am 

I use Hagerty for my now NonZ classic. Agreed value, does't seem to have restrictions, and the price is fine at about $300 annually. I have not tested any claims...hope not to.

A friend of mine was recently hit in his 97 Porsche Targa. Something he learned was to put an additional claim in for "diminished" value against the other insurance co. Was not totaled, but the damage was recorded in the cars history decreasing its value. He got many 1000's above repair costs. As your Old Z's become more valuable, something to keep in mind. You may need an attorney that specializes. He found a guy thru Porsche club forum.

I miss my Z's a little. Loving my '76 Porsche

Keith
'93 300zx - sold
'09 370Z - sold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:13 pm 

The key wording with Hagerty is "guaranteed value", not agreed value or similar. You submit photos and any other requested documentation to their underwriters who determine if the car is worth your requested insurance value. If they write the policy and you total the car, they write the check for the guaranteed value, no questions! No, I have no personal claims experience with them but have seen comments from those who have.

With "agreed value" or similar terms there might be the possibility of dealing with an adjuster should there be a total loss. The adjuster will be interested to see if the vehicle was still worth what the policy was originally written for. For anyone dealing with agreed value insurance, ask the questions about payoff in case of a total loss - will an adjuster enter the process at any time? Is there the possibility of the payoff being less than the agreed value? Whatever the answers, get them in writing - nothing by mouth!

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:52 pm 

Went with Grundy at $328 for $500k liability, $25k agreed loss value on a 560SL pristine with 40k miles. They put a 7,500 miles p.a. restriction down and limit use to "pleasure drives", ie. no commuting, shopping, etc.. I think this restriction is common with any company coming in with similar numbers. The much higher quotation from Grundy had fewer use restrictions, but the premium was double.
Grundy's customer service was excellent and they allow use of any repair facility you choose.
The American Collectors customer service was terrible. If they can't get out a quote and generate a bill, heavens knows how bad their claims service can be.

CT plate PHILSZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:06 pm 

I figured I'll send an update on the topic....

I just received my policy renewal e-papers from Grundy for my '71Z. They raised the annual premium up from $388 to $412 with the car's value increased $1K to $31.5K. Hagerty quote for same coverage is $334 per year. I'll be changing back over to Hagerty. Both companies seem to have good reputations, but the difference in premium seems to make it worth the effort to change insurers in my case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:24 pm 

I would consider your 240 to be worth more than that. Desirability is the key and yours has it in spades.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:16 pm 

Kind words Frank.

I can't imagine what your $1M Z car insurance premium is! :shock: