Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Today
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:21 am 

I'm not from CT. I was living in NY when I joined and I was in 2031, Delta Co, 2nd Batt.
I am blessed (or cursed) with an exceptionally clear memory of many exciting things I have experienced in life, especially throughout my career. Over dinner with SgtMaj Anderson I once reminded him of about 30 "events" our Platoon survived back in 1967. Most of them were illegal. He recalled a few of them but begged me not to write a book. :lol:
I recall our barracks had the small number "860" written in white on a single roof tile, the MV of the 1911A1 .45acp. Our inspections lined us up facing the barracks and while the Series Commander was inspecting us he asked us all the usual military knowledge questions. Apparently some private in years past simply couldn't remember the pistol MV so the DI sent him up on the roof (at night, no doubt) with a can of paint. Glancing at the roof above the Captain's head gave him the answer. The word "HELP!" was also written up there but I don't know if it served to announce a bulletin board for helpful information, or a desperate cry for rescue from PI.
Up until about 4 years ago I could still remember my rifle number from bootcamp. It's going to be a real trauma to return to PISC and find everything changed from the last time I was there. At least the sand fleas will remember me and welcome me back. Maybe I'll practice standing at Attention in the sun and letting them chew on me some more.
Probably not. 8)

Last edited by Frank T on Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:38 am 

Sand fleas like fresh meat, not aged meat. Or maybe too tough? Lol. :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:51 pm 

For the 100th time, you ought to write a book! :P

Sir!, Sorry for the DI/DS error! :oops:

Travel safe Dude! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:23 pm 

Plt 2031, Delta Company.
Shoving off in the morning, plan to be back this time next week. Might carry my laptop with me to *maybe* keep in touch, but might be too busy or two tired to care. Seven days of road travel make one week. Weak?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 am 

Too tired. :mrgreen: Or more than one traveler? Two? Lol. :roll: :lol: :mrgreen: Safe travels.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:13 pm 

The Parris Island of my youth exists only in my memory. Everything has changed except the major street names (Boulevard de France, Panama, Reykjavik, Marne). The main gate is no longer at the beginning of the causeway, but at the end of it. I was totally lost. The "center of my universe" (2nBn Panama St) was identifiable only by street names, but not a single bldg is the same. I saw two (2) old Butler Buildings which might still have been there from the '60s.

M Senior DI is dead, only one of my other JDIs is alive, as far as he knows I *might* be the last survivor of Platoon 2031. I feel like the Lone Ranger.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:26 pm 

Old Marines like us don't liken to change. We always want to be in control of the things around us and continually search for ways to change events of the world for better outcomes. :evil: :roll: :mrgreen:

The world and today's society, as it is, has changed and evolved in front of our eyes. :shock: We're no longer on the front lines changing the world. We're more spectator now with less control over events and the reality that we're here for only a certain amount of time before the torch has to be passed on. YES.. we loose acquaintances but they are never lost as long as they are remembered. :wink: :thumbs_up:

Think of all the joy we have and share with others, and the joy we spread when we drive and show off our Z's. Oohraah.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 am 

My only consolation is that in place of our old wooden 2ndBn WWII barracks on Panama Street is a half-block-long red brick modern bldg which is now the Receiving Barracks for arriving recruits.
The new yellow footprints are directly out front of this new barracks, exactly where you and I stood our Company, Bn and Regimental inspections. I stood in them today. They aren't even shaped like feet anymore, just two yellow slabs with the 'heels' touching and 'toes' outboard at a 45* angle. Spent an hour touring Elliott's Beach then another hour in the mainside Museum and it was time to cast off to see the Beaufort USMC Air Station and tiny Yemassee SC (pop.800), where all incoming recruits arrived by train and switched to buses bound for Parris Island. Even the MCAS red brick open-squadbay barracks have been replaced by motel-like units, probably 2-3 Marines to a room.

I'm back in NC tonight, headed north. Tmrw I visit my last CO and my last OIC, Camp LeJeune and maybe even Cherry Point, then Chesty Puller's grave at Saluda VA and the USMC Museum at Quantico and I'm home.

Last edited by Frank T on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:06 am 

:mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:20 pm 

Great stories, Frank. I hope others appreciate your tales as much as I do. It's history.

Safe travels, brother.. Zee you when you get back.

:thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm 

Thnx Myron. Got hopelessly lost in the NC back country in heavy fog last night. Even my GPS was confused and flashed a screen I never saw before, admitting I was in areas for which it had no maps. Finally reached a small town in Virginia and paid $40 for a room to get 6hrs sleep in, then drove to Chesty Puller's grave today in Saluda VA. Now in Fredericksburg for the night; will see the battleground and USMC museum tmrw, then sleep in my own bed tmrw night.

I'm beat.