Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 am 

1971 Datsun 240Z, build date 10/70. HLS30-12114 (photos at bottom).

THIS CAR IS CURRENTLY BEING AUCTIONED ON EBAY AT http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/272823107060?

After some soul searching I’ve decided to put my 240 up for sale. My reason for selling it after all these years? To be honest…after owning it since 1996 I’ve completed everything I wanted to do on this car, seriously. And because of busy family life I only drive it occasionally…leaving it to sit patiently in my garage. Rather than let it languish I decided its time to let it go. I can always find another car project. This car has been featured on the Datsunzgarage.com website since 1997 and its photos can be found in CTZCC if you search my screen name.

This is originally a Virginia car and came ashore in Virginia Beach. When I bought it the title stated the mileage was unknown. Despite new bodywork, repainting, and being nearly fully restored this isn’t a concours vehicle. Mechanically everything works but its 46 years old and there are a few areas that need attention.

- The fan works but the dash vent and heater cables were removed years ago to ease access to the radio panel.
- Not connected: rear defroster, door light switches
- Horn switch erratic, the Grant horn collar needs replacing.
- The passenger side dogleg panel has developed a “line” in the paint where filler was applied.
- Radio is not functional, but I have an amp wired in to accept an Ipod, etc.

WHAT MODS HAVE BEEN DONE?
• Weber 40DCOE 151 triples with TWM Induction intake, electric fuel pump
• Engine is a 1983 280ZX L28 fully rebuilt in 2008.
• 1983 P90 head w/ Webcamshafts 230° cam
• 1983 280ZX distributor- recurved full mechanical- MSD 6A ignition
• 1983 Nissan/Borg Warner T5 5-speed, custom driveshaft.
• 1986 R200 4:11 (open differential)
• Wolf Creek CV halfshafts
• 280ZX 15/16” brake master cylinder
• rear disc brake conversion
• 280ZX 60 amp alternator
• Thermostat controlled dual electric radiator fans.
• The fuse block works normally, but I installed an extra distribution block on the firewall behind the radio faceplate. This supplies the power to relays to control the headlights and ignition. A schematic will be supplied.

ENGINE DETAILS

The 1983 280ZX L28 was fully rebuilt in 2008 with 12,000 miles on it now. It was overbored .5mm and balanced ITM aluminum flattop pistons installed. The block was internally coated with Glyptol. It received new bearings, gaskets, and 280ZX turbo oil pump.
The 1983 P90 turbo head received 5-way intake and 3-way exhaust seats with Stainless SI undercut valves. The head was shaved .080” and cam towers reshimmed. This gives compression around 10:25.1 and runs fine on premium with no pinging. Compression is a solid 190psi all across. A Webcamshaft 94a (230’) cam was installed with new Nissan rocker arms.
A 280ZX electronic distributor was recurved and converted to full mechanical (34° max) by Advanced Distributors of Minnesota. It fires a MSD 6A.
Motorsport 6-1 header and 2 1/2” exhaust system. Header is tapped for a one-way crankcase evacuation valve. A 02 bung is welded in as well if you want to install an oxygen sensor.

BRAKE DETAILS
New Toyota 4x4 S12 calipers are installed on the front.
The rear drums were converted to discs using Maxima calipers and 280ZX rotors.
A Wilwood proportioning valve was installed in the engine compartment. The handbrake cable is new and functional. New brake lines were all custom bent.

DRIVETRAIN DETAILS

The Nissan/Borg Warner T5 transmission was fully rebuilt in 2012 with new synchros, bearings, circlips, fork pads, seals, and rear bushing. The preload was set to factory specs. The flywheel is a new OEM steel version custom-lightened to 15 pounds. The clutch is a Zoom. A Turbo 280ZX clutch slave cylinder and new master cylinder installed 2011. Wolfcreek CV axles were installed using L24 stub axles. A front snubber mount was installed on the R200…no clunks now.

SUSPENSION

Suspensions Techniques F/R swaybars with urethane mounts.
Suspension Techniques springs. KYB shocks.
Techno Toy Tuning adjustable TC rods.
Rear spindle pins replaced in 2010.

REPAINTING DETAILS
In 2013 I sanded down the body, primered and shot with medium-gray acrylic urethane single-stage from TCP Global. NOTE: this was my first paint job and I did my best. But some orange peel exists in places which will need to be color sanded out if you require a mirror-smooth finish. When spraying the hood some tiny fisheyes appeared. These aren’t visible from a few feet away but do exist. The windshield was replaced with a new PGW tinted version. All weatherstripping and body seals were replaced at the same time.

COSMETICS
All new rubber door trim and hatch gaskets.
New exterior badges
Dash gauges are black Autometer with exception of stock fuel gauge.
Original seatbelts
1983 280ZX Turbo 15” aluminum wheel with intact center caps.
Sun visor signed by Bob Sharp.

RUST DETAILS

The passenger floor received a small patch under the mat 15 years ago. Some mild rust exists on the outside bottom floor under the driver seat. During repainting the front fenders were replaced with NOS versions. The rocker panels and doglegs were replaced with new Tabco versions which were welded in. No rust is visible in the battery tray area.

ASSESSMENT
- The car runs very strong. Amazing handling, pulls hard and spins the rear wheels easily if that's your thing. The car is tight and creak free. Idle is smooth with a nice cam burble. I use 7,000 for the redline.
- As mentioned above the fusebox is fully functional but I added a fused, terminal block behind the radio panel. This allows a switched, high current point for the ignition and headlights without adding any stress to the fuse block.

The Webers are nearly zero maintenance, less even than Datsun SUs. However you may need to rebalance the airflow one day so the new owner should learn how to balance Webers and troubleshoot them. Because of the triple carbs, camshaft and crankcase vent, YOU are responsible for checking your local laws to make sure this is emissions legal to drive in your area. This is a 46 year old vintage car with several racing mods. I make no warranty as to its emissions status or ability to pass state inspection! Because of the adjustable proportioning valve you will need to determine the best setting for balanced braking. This car is sold as is.

INCLUDED WITH THE SALE

- a set of aftermarket black “Z” center caps for the wheels
- assortment box of Weber jets and set of 34mm chokes
- Replacement center console

Sale is final with cash or cashier's check. NOTE: CT does not issue titles for cars over 20 years old. To sell a vintage car in CT a DMV “Assignment of Ownership/Bill of Sale” form and an old registration are all that are required to pass on ownership. Other state DMVs are aware of this if the car is to be retitled.

1970 240Z - enhanced F54 L28 w/P90, Weber DCOEs, 4:11 R200, Nissan T5 5-speed

Last edited by Datsun Z Garage on Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:04 pm 

HI Bryan:
A friend here in Clearwater would like to buy your Z - I need your current contact information.
thanks,
Carl B.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:47 pm 

Waiting for the link........?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:51 pm 

Its going up around 8pm. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:38 pm 

This Z has been an inspiration for me for years. Actually I hoped to see it this fall at the fall outing. :(

I've watched the 7k rpm shifts videos countless times on YouTube haha. I wish my Z ran like that!

I wish you luck on finding it a good home, hopefully with a current or future member of the CTZCC.

Jay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:25 pm 

The end of yet another era...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:00 pm 

Tell me about it.... :roll: :thumbs_down:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:11 am 

Thanks for that ride in your Z, it was awesome. :thumbs_up: I know the next guy will love it. It was my inspiration as well back in the day when it was white. Hopefully we will Z you around, take care Z friend. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:56 pm 

Sold at $12,000.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:22 pm 

Well everyone....the Z which has been my ultimate hobby for 20 years will be going to a new owner. I can't say where here, but believe me its going somewhere interesting.

I've enjoyed every second and yes its bittersweet. My purpose of the Datsunzgarage website in 1997 was to give back to the Z world...and my reward is that I helped keep them on the road longer.

To have driven it at Lime Rock along with my friends in the CTCZZ is a memory I'll never forget.

Thanks everyone. -Bryan