Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:43 pm 

Hi all,

I received a call from Bob Sharp over the weekend that I wanted to share with you. I don't think it is any secret that Bob and his wife Carol have been planning for some time to move to Florida. Being closer to his son Scott was certainly a motivator and I think, like many of us, he was growing tired of the Northeast winters (would any of us live here in January & February if we didn't have to ?). So Bob has now sold his home, purchased a new one in Florida and he and Carol will be relocating shortly.

It would be impossible for me to fully, accurately and appropriately describe the effect that Bob Sharp has had on our club. In fact, were it not for Bob Sharp, there likely would never have been a CTZCC. This is because our origins were heavily influenced by a former club run out of "Bob Sharp Nissan", now "Bruce Bennet Nissan" located in Wilton CT. A brief recap is that Todd Bennett, son of Bruce Bennett started the "Bob Sharp Z Car Club", in 2000 after soliciting interest from local Z owners. Alan Brown and I met each other at the first meeting and soon after met Bob, who Todd had enlisted as a very enthusiastic advisor. The Bob Sharp Z Car Club operated for approximately three years before shutting down. As one of the officers, I hung on to the BSZCC member database and used it to solicit interest in the CTZCC in 2005.

Since our beginnings, Bob served as a featured guest at many of our early meetings, our honored host of the annual "Bob Sharp Day at Lime Rock" and has been present at eleven Fall Outings and other gatherings. He has graciously shared riveting stories from his racing days, taught us what not to do when cornering at Lime Rock and signed countless posters, visors, armrests and other car parts.

I know that all of us that have gotten to know Bob over the past twelve years will miss his friendship, advice, smile and ever-enthusiastic greeting.

Bob - on behalf of the multitudes of people you have blessed and influenced with your presence, I say a heartfelt "thank you and Godspeed". You have been our friend, our mentor, our Datsun/Nissan hero and all around decent and humble guy.

Sincerely, Ross

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:22 am 

This is crushing news for me, but most of us have known it was coming. It's the end of an era as far as I am concerned. Many of my most-cherished memories of the CTZCC centered around Bob Sharp. One of the happiest things about our events was that the great Bob Sharp would talk to you like you were his backyard neighbor. Bob always has time for everyone, and will light up your converation about anything, but especially Z cars.

He taught Paul Newman to race, and employed him on his team, along with Tom Cruise, David Hobbs, Sam Posey, EF-R and a list of other world-class notable drivers. He is the Past Master of the Lime Rock circuit, and known by all who work and race there. Lime Rock was Bob's home track, and he was more familiar on it than anyplace else. He set the word ablaZe driving the first "C" Production Z (HLS30-0006) at Lime Rock, often scoring overall wins against whole fields of "A" Production 427 Cobras, Mustangs and Corvettes.

During one Bob Sharp day at LRP, Bob led about 2 doZen CTZCC members on a tour of the pits, walking slowly among the race cars while he tutored us about what we were seeing. Like a teacher leading a school fieldtrip, Bob often walked backwards, addressing the rest of us who were following along like little ducks. About every 10-20 steps, somebody from the pits would lay down a wrench and walk out onto Pit Road to shake Bob's hand and say hello. These were mostly all old (big-name) racing buddies, but also some new racers who had learned Bob's legend and just wanted to meet the famous Six-Time SCCA "C" Production champion. Fathers stopped work on their cars and pointed Bob out to their sons as he passed, like a well-known gunfighter riding back into an old western town. It was a thrill to be associated with Bob while he walked his old stomping grounds. That walk ended at the tent of Bob's son, Scott Sharp, in the pits of his own computerized, dial-in, air-conditioned Tequila Patron ALMS race car. I got to sit beside Bob on the Turn Two hillside that day, watching his son race and discussing how much the sport had changed.

Another outstanding memory of that day was taking a picture of Bob handing his new Smart Phone to young Mike Tubiak (The Z Man) who programmed it for Bob and taught him how to use it. Bob stood over Mike's shoulder and learned about this new technology. Think about that.

Because of my own Z, I followed Bob's racing career during the 1970s. I even had a plastic model of his 33 car on my mantel for years, until my nephew sort of ate it. Each time Bob won a race he would stand on the podium and get a kiss from the Race Queen while the media filmed him. Then out of the crowd this adorable little Pixie in mini skirts and GoGo boots (Carol Sharp) would step up to Bob and hand him a diapered Scotty Sharp, take his arm and lead her man away. It became almost as important to me to see her as it was for me to watch Bob win.

Decades later I was to have my picture taken on the Lime Rock winner's podium beside Bob, then beside Carol, just as a staged momento. The pictures were taken by Z authority Bryan Little, and I could not have invented a better way to end my day.

My Z has Bob's signature on it twice; once prominently on the sun visor, and also secretly on the back of my drivers door build plate. I swear it makes my car a full second faster.

THANK YOU, Mister Sharp, for the dozens of happy memories you've left me, for all the inspiration you've given us, and for all you've done to put the Z car on the world map. Godspeed to you and Carol in your future travels, and I hope our trails cross again someday.

You remain one of my life's heroes and it's a privilege to say I know you.

Frank T

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:16 pm 

Bob leaves tomorrow.
Live long and prosper, Bob. There's lots of racing in Florida and more than a few Z clubs down there. I hope you keep your hand in.
Frank

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 8:07 am 

Thank you Bob for adding those precious moments to our lives. Hopefully you will find a Z club down there, or 2 or 3 to call home now and I guess we'll have to drive a little further to Z ya. It's been an Honor! Z SPEED

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 am 

What a class act.

Bob, you will be missed by all of us CTZCC folks who admired you as race driver and as a great guy. Always open, friendly and personable. Enjoy your new life in Florida!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:27 am 

Sorry for the late reply, I've been kinda out of touch lately looking at properties down south.

Bob, you certainly deserve the good life down south. Enjoy! Take care of yourself do the things
you like most with the people who mean the most to you. We'll all miss your presence. help and
willingness to friend the non-pro enthusiasts who just enjoy cars and the people they meet.

I'm going to cherish and protect the BOB SHARP signature on the glove box of my 260 roadster.

God bless and please keep in touch.

Jack Durand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:35 pm 

Does anyone know how Bob is doing in Florida? Has he been in touch?