Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:29 pm 

Update:
I sandblasted the mounts today and got them primed.
Unfortunately the fuel rail is different story.
It's a slightly different configuration than my stock one so I won't be using it.
Mine is fairly straight when viewed from the side but the "new" one has both tubes bent up and it has different mounting brackets. I had mine with me at the shop but didn't even think to check it.
I was bummed when I found this.
Oh well my old one got blasted/primed too. I just hope the pits hold up over time.
At least it's treated now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:15 am 

I sandblasted and spray painted mine once. It came out beautifully ~ much better than the old corroded look. Then Vinny ceramic coated it when he dressed up my engine bay. Looks almost anodized now. :thumbs_up:

That upward curve would have absolutely no effect on usefulness. It would work the same way yours does. And check to see if that mis-placed support slides along the rail or not. Some of them are sort of adjustable if you tap them carefully with a soft hammer. You may be able to use that rail after all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:38 am 

I will try that. He showed me the paint he uses and it's stainless steel color same as the paint I have.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:07 am 

The 1973/4 'flat top' SU carb cars had problems with vapor lock. The under hood heat actually boiled the fuel in the lines and turned it to vapor, making the cars impossible to re-start after they were turned off. We called it 'after boil' in the 1960s, but Datsun never alluded to that. The fuel pump and carbs are not able to push vapor, only liquid. The cars had to cool down awhile until the fuel changed state back to liquid. Then they would re-start, amid cheers from the Z crowd and the driver's impatient girlfriend.

Both Datsun and the individual car owners tried many little tricks (some of them pretty dumb) to combat this problem. I suspect this upsweep was an attempt to let vapors and bubbles rise to the top of the fuel rail, allowing the remaining fuel below it (btwn there and the carbs) to stay liquid. They also revamped the fuel return lines, which carried 'waiting' fuel back to the gas tank to be cooled before it vaporized.

The upsweep should have absolutely no effect on your engine operation.

Some of our 'street fixes' in the 1970s included wrapping the entire fuel line with aluminum foil (looked hideous), clamping wooden clothespins along the line to act as heatsinks, and one of my buddies actually rigged a coffee can which he made the fuel line run thru. He kept filling the can with crushed ice (a major chore) every time we stopped somewhere. We called it 'the still'. Two other guys rigged small electric fans aimed at the fuel line. We laughed then, but the 280ZX cars later did essentially that very same thing a decade later. The simplest thing to do was open the hood when you parked, to let the heat escape sooner.

Some of this stuff actually worked. Other ideas were downright goofy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:41 am 

Frank, is there anything you don't know?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:35 pm 

:lol: Probably.

But you don't know what you don't know. And I learn something new each time I open this website. :wink: