Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:58 pm 

Hi all, Is there a thread where I can find info on how to troubleshoot a 280z 1985 that has not run in over 20 years! Cant get the engine to turn over. Has anyone had experience on resurrecting a car after many years of not running. Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:09 am 

You're in exactly the right place to ask that.

Engines which have sat for long periods and then refuse to turn over are usually "frozen" inside, meaning they've rusted.

Oil usually prevents this from happening but if the engine doesn't get turned at all for many years, ALL the oil drips down off the bearings and rings, and those dissimilar metals try to fuse together (rust).

Generally, if you expect to keep the engine for a long time and treat it properly from now on, you should disassemble it and hone the cylinder walls, replace the bearings and rings, and coat it with lightweight oil when you reassemble it.

If you don't care how much longer your engine lasts, or how much smoke it blows until you rebuild it, you can:
1) pull the cam cover and pour lightweight oil over the cam and valve train;
2) pull the spark plugs;
3) squirt about a tablespoon of penetrating oil into each cylinder (PB Blaster works well);
4) let it sit for a few days;
5) fit a breaker bar onto the crankshaft nut and GENTLY rock the crank back and forth until it breaks free.

Once it starts moving, add some lightweight (like 10W) oil into each cylinder again, then start pulling the engine thru slow complete revolutions by hand. That's breaking the rust off the cylinder walls and washing them clean(er) and freeing the muck in the crankshaft bearings.

The reason you want to turn it slowly by hand is to prevent spinning a bearing or breaking a ring. Don't be hasty and don't try to prove to the world how strong you are. This is a gentle operation.

After you have freed the engine, drain the oil and replace it with good stuff. Your starter should then turn the engine over as advertised.

Still, a professional would pull the engine down (disassemble it) and replace the bearings and rings. It's not a huge task, and it would show you if there was something broken inside, which was locking the engine up (instead of rust).

Frank

Post subject: Thanks frank
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:04 pm 

Thanks so much for some infinite wisdom on the matter. I don't know if its something I can handle. Might have to resort to professional. I can change other things such as rotors calipers hoses. The question now is when. Much appreciated. Marco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:46 pm 

You're very welcome.
If you got under the car and dropped the oil pan, you could search around inside the engine with a flashlight to see if it's anything more serious than rust. Popping the cam cover off would show if there was any physical damage to the valve train.

I once pulled-thru a seized 351 Ford V8 the way I described above. It drove for many more years and many thousands of miles. The key is being gentle when you break it free, so you preserve the rings and bearings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:07 am 

There were no 1985 280zs....

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 am 

8) Ahhhhhh.......have I been had? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:29 am 

I think he corrected it in his post, calling it an 83. maybe he forgot the x also? 1983 280zx?