Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:53 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:43 am 

Hello motorsports junkies!

I would like to extend an invitation to anyone interested in starting autocross to attend an "autocross school" designed for beginners held by the Fairfield County Sports Car Club.

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ ... TWD-DDvuIu

The rookie school is not required for those interested in starting autocrossing, but is a very nice introductory kind of event for anybody that wants a taste of the action but might be a little nervous to just jump right in.

They will have volunteer instructors (seasoned veterans of autocrossing) that will help with the autocross basics.

Pre-registration is up so you can sign up now if you want. Anyone that might be interested, get in touch with me! I would be happy to answer any questions. I won't be participating in the school, but I would be more than happy to show up and spend the day (chat, give pointers, take pictures/video, etc) with any CTZCC'ers that are going.

Rental helmets are available free of charge! All you need is a car that will pass safety tech. Since we all drive well-taken care of, over-engineered space shuttles I don't foresee anybody having issues. Let me know if you want to know specifics on safety inspection.

This event is pretty early in the "driving Zeason" so don't despair if you cannot make it or if the car isn't ready. For anyone wanting to get into the sport later in the season, I would be happy to be your unofficial guide since I hope to make all the events this year.

And as a final note, FCSCC will be holding Event #1 on March 24th (Sunday). This will be an actual event (not a school). I plan to be racing at this one. It will be a lot of fun as they are hosting it on their "Big Lot" that they only get to use a few times a year. More space for the Z's to scream.

Awesome idea: come do the rookie school on Saturday, March 23rd. Then come for the full event on Sunday, March 24th and show off and solidify all the skills you've learned.

EDIT: Here is the registration link for Event #1!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm ... UZvCBzvuIs

Last edited by jtang on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:14 pm 

I forgot some important info!

Here is FCSCC's main website: http://www.fcscc.com/

And here's their facebook (they do a good job at keeping it up to date): https://www.facebook.com/FairfieldCountySportsCarClub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:13 pm 

I think my Z will not be ready for this during the early Spring months, but I would enjoy tossing the Mini around a bit until the Z got ready. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 pm 

Bring it out! There are a few mini's that show up regularly. They are definitely a force to be reckoned with on these twisty courses.

Another good point to harp on.... not just pure sports cars can autocross! Pretty much any car can participate (though anything that might be a rolling hazard probably won't be allowed... SUV's, big trucks...). So if you are over-protective of your beautiful Z, feel free to bring out the daily drivers.

There's a little bit of everything out there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:03 am 

Interested, but not ready yet. I want to make sure I have perfect brakes for this, and a little more power as well. Also a nice white paint job so I do look like a space shuttle going down the track. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:33 am 

Paul,

I forget which part of RI you're located at, but when the car is ready you might want to check out NER SCCA events. Most of them are held up in Devens, MA which is probably the same distance away as these FCSCC events held in Stratford, CT.

I have heard that the Devens, MA site is a beautiful and large surface. SCCA held a Pro Solo event there last year I think. I haven't been up there yet, but one of these days I'd like to check it out!

http://www.ner.org/solo/events

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 am 

["There's a little bit of everything out there!"]

Boy, I'll say. Here are a few shots of some of the cars which show up for a routine CART-CT AutoCross:

Attachments:
File comment: The hi-powered Cobras were not as nimble or quick as I had expected ~ Bryan Little beat their times in his lightweight 240Z
IMG_0164.JPG
IMG_0164.JPG [ 143.46 KiB | Viewed 10040 times ]
File comment: TVRs were well-balanced little powerhouses in their day.
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG [ 140.66 KiB | Viewed 10045 times ]
File comment: '64-1/2 mustang 289 was a real stormer.
IMG_0170.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG [ 143.13 KiB | Viewed 10047 times ]
File comment: This wild beast is a purpose-built AutoCrosser, powered by an air-cooled 1500cc 4-cyl motorcycle engine; best times of the meet!
IMG_0160.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG [ 141.15 KiB | Viewed 10048 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:39 pm 

Thanks, I have both those sites saved now.........I like the TVR the best, despite the paint job. :shock: I've seen so many Kit Cobras, I see them in my sleep. There is a real McCoy here on the Island....shows up for the Fort Adams Car Show.

Post subject: Signed up!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:16 pm 

I signed up for this a week or two ago- Signed up for both the Rookie School and the No Points race- currently working on getting the 510 prepped-

Also need a helmet- happy to purchase one- any recomendations? Anywhere local I can buy one rather then online?

Current list of things being done or have been done - Brake system (Stainless steel lines- Porterfield pads/shoes - full system flush/bleed with ATE super blue) - Got some new harnesses so both driver and passenger seat have 5 points- got some used federal 595s that hopefully arent too abused.

Never done this before so looking for some advice- what to expect- what to bring- ect. I live by fairfield beach so its right up the road- unfortunately I dont have a trailer so I will be driving her over there.

Also have no clue what class Ill be in... tried to dig up some class specs but was unable to really figure it out

Details on the car – ’71 510 4 Door- Fully gutted -4 point Cage- 5 Point Harnesses – L20b with Dual Weber DCOE40’s – 5 speed transmission, not sure what it came from… - Lowered with lowering springs /Bilstein Struts– big fat sway bars- Porterfield R4-S pads/shoes- Goodrich Stainless Steel Brake Lines- Fresh ATE Brake Fluid - Got some used Federal 595s with some camber wear on them, hoping to just get a season out of them – a bit worried about the exhaust as it seems to be fairly loud inside the car, not sure about outside the car as I have never heard it from that vantage point at high RPMs- basicly just a straight pipe to a flowmaster muffler, not sure which one.

Getting excited- if anybody is in the Fairfield area and has experience going through tech and wouldnt mind swinging by to just run over the car with me that would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with some good beer or a meal...

Cheers
Devon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:22 pm 

["Also need a helmet- happy to purchase one- any recomendations? Anywhere local I can buy one rather then online?"]

I will never buy another helmet from anywhere EXCEPT Neon John Haberdashery. He sells the best brain buckets for the least price, giving you more bang-for-the-buck than anyplace else I've ever heard of.

Custom fit, styles you want, extremely fair price, door-to-door personal service, all from a fellow CTZCC member and AutoCrosser (he races Neons). Hard to beat.

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?p ... 312a716f9f

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:18 pm 

Thanks Frank- I will reach out to him- that helps a bunch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm 

Awesome!!

Devon, I am no expert at classing but I can try and find out some more for you. Judging by the modifications I would have to guess some kind of prepared class but will have to check the rulebook to be sure.

As far as helmets go, there are loaner helmets available if you can't track down a helmet you are satisfied in time. John Williams of the FCSCC sells helmets as well, so you can ask him about his selection and pricing at the event if you like.

EDIT: John Williamson** ! Thanks Frank!

Last edited by jtang on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:00 pm 

["John Williams of the FCSCC sells helmets as well"]

Well, actually that's John WilliamSON, or Neon John.
Glad we're both on the same page with this!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 pm 

Thanks Jtang

My biggest worries now are tech inspection (would hate to fail and not be able to drive) and noise

Im really not worried about being competitive at this point so doesnt really matter who I am matched up against. Just want to get out there and drive her like she was built to be driven - a chance to push her and find the limits with out worry about breaking laws, wrapping around a tree or even worse hitting someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:18 pm 

As far as tech goes, anything that is road legal pretty much will pass tech.

Things to watch out for specifically:
*Make sure the battery is well secured! You have to have some kind of tie-down so it won't move (they will pop your hood and try to jiggle it).
*Wheel bearings must be good! They will bearhug each of your tires and try to shake it to see if there's any play.
*All loose items must be removed from the car. Includes spare tire, tool kit, floormats, dash mats (I think this one is kind of ridiculous).
*Closed toed shoes when you're on course (I bring flip flops when I am relaxing off course inbetween runs though).
*Helmet must be SA2005 or newer. I think M2005 are acceptable as well but I will have to double check that.

Here is a list of things that I always bring:
*Sunblock, sunglasses, hat, multiple layers of clothing (the mornings can be quite breezy and chilly but then things can heat up in the afternoon quite a bit).
*Water. Lots of water. I bring about 3-4 liters of it--especially important during summer months. Also I usually pack food. There are some food places close by... Wendy's, Subway, Dunkin Donuts comes to mind.
*Tools... I usually bring a floorjack and some extra tires but it's not totally necessary. If your tires are on the verge of death, then it might be a good idea (just so you can get home after the event).
*Cameras/Camcorders... just for fun.
*Tire pressure gauge and mini compressor. Typically you want pressures higher than what you would use on the road (at least the fronts). Depends heavily on temperature, type of tires, car, track, and driving style. For those federal 595 I remember they tend to work well with something like 37-38 PSI front, 34-35 PSI rear but again it depends a lot on the car and driver.

The basic event schedule is like this:
*Show up between 8am-9am. Register (there's a trailer with a table infront of it). Even if you pre-register online you need to check in. You will be assigned a work shift (1 hour... try to work course as it is a good experience, you get to see the action up close, and is not boring like some of the other jobs... will require running though). Tell them you are new so they pair you up with someone experienced!!
*After registration, unload everything from the car and prepare it as if it were going to start racing (remove all items, put the wheels/tires that you want to have on it, etc).
*They will open tech inspections at the grid area... people will roll up and they will inspect your car quickly and give you a little green sticker on your front windshield.
*Pull your car back into your parking spot, and head over to the course for a walkthrough. They usually do novice walkthroughs at the end of the walking period. It is a good idea to walk the course a few times (walk it twice by yourself then wait for the novice walk to happen).
*Relax a bit, size up the competition and check out some cool cars.
*When they are all ready to get things rolling, there will be a driver's meeting where they go over the rules and important things. It is mandatory!
*First shift workers take positions on the track and they start launching cars. They sort of go around the parking lot area and let cars go in a pattern. Expect 40-ish minutes between your laps.
*Worker changes are on the fly, meaning they do not stop the cars to swap workers. Show up 5 minutes before your shift and you'll relieve the existing track workers.
*Everyone should end up with the same # of runs for the day. When it gets close to the end... maybe 2 or 3pm, they will announce how many runs will be given for the day (usually 4-7 depending on how many people ,etc). Once you hit that number you are done for timed, competitive runs.
*After everyone has taken the allotted number of laps, they will open up for fun runs. Each lap is $2 a piece and it goes straight to charity. This is why it is good to show up EARLY to check in, so you get a work shift that is early in the day (so you get to play during fun runs... I have had to work during fun runs and it sucks!). This period gives the crew time to tally up all the times and see who are the top performers in each class.
*After they are ready, fun runs will end. Pull your car back to your staging area and you can start packing up your car. Also you can go up to the trailer and ask if they need help with anything if you want to be nice.
*At the very end of the day, they go over top times for each class and present event trophies to the winners. We end by 5pm typically.

The structure of the rookie school will be a bit different, but I am sure it will be well-catered to newcomers.

EDIT: Ah thanks Frank!! I think he's been racing a Subaru STI these days.

And Devon, there IS a sound ordinance. See: http://fcscc.com/joomla/info/rules

They say 90 dba at 75 feet. They don't measure it or anything, but just know that things can't be excessively loud (i.e. you should have a muffler of some sort...). There are some very loud cars out there so as long as you're not the loudest you will be fine!

Last edited by jtang on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.