Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
  Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:13 am 

Good Morning,

A groundswell of support has brought the state closer to enacting legislation to toughen laws for repeat driving offenders and keep them off the roads and highways of RI.

In an effort to lobby for passage of what may become known as "Colin's Law", we have had an interview at our home about Colin and just last night I testified before the House Judiciary Committee to encourage passage of the law.

There are links below for the TV coverage.

Thanks,

Robin Foote

http://vp.mgnetwork.net/traveler.swf?em ... 4a0d&z=JAR

http://www2.turnto10.com/jar/news/local ... ill/37524/

First Owned - New 72' GREEN 240Z
2nd Owned - Used BLUE 74' 260Z

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:11 am 

ccfoote wrote:
Paul,

Your point about driver education is an excellent one. The proposed legislation has a mandatory 60 hour "driver retraining" and 60 hour public community restitution program requirement.

Robin Foote

Hopefully the law will require rescission of the license until, at a minimum,
the 60-and-60 has been FULLY AND SATISFACTORILY COMPLETED.
Otherwise, the retraining and public service would be just another "slap
on the wrist."

FULLY AND SATISFACTORILY COMPLETED, in my mind, means that there
must be written into the law: some form of accurate record keeping to
validate the hours requirement; some type of examination to validate
the sufficiency of the retraining; and a probationary period of substan-
tial duration to help preclude the likelihood of recidivism.

Hopefully, this is a helpful suggestion which will be relayed to the RI
legislators and integrated into COLIN'S LAW by them forthwith.

All Z Best,........................................Kathy & Rick

1969 Z.CAR (#00013 10/69) 8/30/76
1969 ITSA.Z (#00171 11/69) 8/24/73
1970 OLD.Z (#06289 6/70) original owner
1971 510 2dr since 12/31/75
1969 1600 rdstr (our 160-Z)
1971 (#19851 1/71) sold
1975 75.Z (#01343 1/75)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:17 am 

Kathy & Rick,

Thank you so much for your very constructive suggestion. I know that in FL when one receives a speeding ticket, they must take a state approved course, many of which are available on-line. The certificate of successful completion must be presented as evidence of fulfilling the requirement. I do not know whether this is available for RI but it is very effective.

I want you to know that I immediately forwarded your comment, in-full, to the sponsoring state representatives and Senator. One of the sponsors, Rep David Caprio (who incidentally is running for Governor) is the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and will most certainly be addressing this important suggestion.

Robin Foote

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:42 am 

Kathy, Rick,

Here's the TV news link for last nights testimony before the RI House Judiciary Committee..

Robin Foote

http://www2.turnto10.com/jar/news/local ... ill/37524/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:59 am 

Mr. Foote,

Once again I offer my sincerest condolences to you and your family. Although I have never met you or your son personally (and I am less of a man for it), I know Colin was a good man, as witnessed by all of the club's responses and comments on this forum.

Having three children myself, I absolutely believe that there is no greater personal tragedy in life than to lose one of your children.

I just viewed the video that you posted. I commend you and your family on your class, bravery, and determination. Fight the good fight. We should all "take a page from your playbook" and strive to live our lives as honorably as you and your family are, at this very trying time in your lives.

I pray that you and your family eventually find peace and solace, I know Colin has.

1990 Mazda Miata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:35 pm 

It's been awhile since I've visited the site. I'm sorry to hear about this.I wish I got to meet Colin before this happened. God rest his soul. I would like to send my deepest sympathy out to his family. The world was a better place with him in it. Cherish every day, and never pass up an opportunity to help someone.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:31 pm 

Good Evening Members,

Following is an editorial that I wrote and fortunately has been published on ProJo.com. We are hopeful that even more Rhode Islanders will read this and contact their legislators to support what may become "Colin's Law".

The link is as follows:

http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributo ... 58c54.html

Thank you,

Please keep Saturday, June 26 on your calendar as a target date for the Z car Memorial Cruise in Colin's memory here in RI. More details will become available as plans get more finalized. we can accommodate up to about 40 people at 3 different houses in Narragansett, RI Friday evening (adults doubled up in King and Queen beds). I expect we'll be leaving at about 10 AM to a yet undetermined location. I expect that we will have some press coverage.

Stay Tuned!

Thank you,
Robin Foote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 pm 

Thank you, Robin, for keeping us updated on this and for leading such an epic charge to drive this bill home. Somehow I sense the combined efforts of both you and Colin in this effort.

Miraculously, that date was empty when I checked my calendar! Not sure how that happened in this very busy month, but I suspect Divine Intervention, like it was meant to be.

I haven't visited RI since Colin's services, but I have been meaning to ask if that intersection has been 'flowered' yet? In nearly every state I've been to, I've seen ad-hoc roadside shrines at places where people have had accidents. Some of us were discussing doing that to Colin's Corner.

Being so close to your home, I suspect you have to drive thru that intersection often. Do you feel it would have any adverse effect on your family if we adorned it a bit? Maybe a starting or destination point for our caravan?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:27 am 

Frank,

A couple of club members have brought up the possibility of doing something on the roadside. We're discussing the possibility but current thought is probably not since it's something we'd have to see several times a day.

Maybe there's something else we can do. Certainly open to any ideas.

Robin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:49 am 

Robin,

I've got my calendar marked for Saturday 6/26. I'll post a caravan starting up in the Mystic CT Area to head for the starting point in RI. I will not need to stay over to free up a bed for folks farther away.

Once you finalize plans I'll post it in "Upcoming Events" and will mention the tentative plans at next Wednesday's Monthly meeting.

Inspired by your efforts. I think the loss of Colin will hit all us again when we are together next Wednesday and Colin is not there.

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:07 am 

Thanks Keith,

Robin Foote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 am 

Right Keith ~ and it will hit us even harder when we see Colin's finished Photograph Memorial displayed at the meeting. Mike and Joe did an outstanding job together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:38 pm 

Robin, I will be attending the Cruise and will drive up in the morning.

Post subject: Great News
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:54 am 

To All Members,

For those of you who have been following the events about Colin, we have some very good news. Last night in the waning hours of the closing session of the RI General Assembly, the House and Senate passed legislation, officially known as "The Colin B. Foote Act". This law provides that any driver who receives 4 separate and distinct serious (11 defined) moving violations may have their license revoked for 2 years and be required to do 60 hours of driver retraining and 60 hours of community service. This is a major victory in that it was sponsored, drafted, introduced and passed in only 2 weeks! Moreover, it closes a gaping loophole that has permitted repeat offenders to continue to drive and threaten the lives of innocent people. Sadly, had this law been in place before May 16th, it is likely that Colin may still be with us.

I do not expect that I will be able to make the upcoming meeting, but I again do want to invite all members to participate in the Colin Foote Memorial Cruise and Air Show Tribute here in RI on June 26. We can accommodate, as our guests, up to about 40 people in our 3 Narragansett, RI houses on Friday night, June 25. We will also be hosting a cook-out Friday night for Z Car participants and special guests.

Saturday morning, we will travel by caravan to the RI Air National Guard, Quonset Airshow where we will be invited to display our cars in a secure area, sit in a VIP tent on the flight line, and behold a fly-by by historic WWII Military Fighters in honor of Colin. The show will end with a performance of the USAF Thunderbirds.

Please let the CTZCC club activities director know if you can make the event. A rain date is set for Sunday, June 27. Unfortunately, we can not put anyone up on Saturday night because our houses will be rented. However, those members who can make it to exit #3 off I-95 Sunday morning by 8:45 AM are welcome to caravan to the Sunday Air Show.

We look forward to hosting all that can join us to honor Colin.

Thank you,

Robin Foote
401-741-1678

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 pm 

well i am sooo happy to hear that the law was passed. i know it doesn't bring Colin back but it helps to prevent future tragedies like these from happening. i am very impressed with how you went out and sought justice. i hope if something like this ever happened to me my parents would do the same. it takes a lot of courage to do what you have done. Colin would be very proud of you. and i will definitely be at the cruise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next