Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
  Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:21 pm 

This is the woman who killed our buddy.

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/arti ... 002e0.html

26 year-old Laura Reale has been stopped by police or state troopers 27 times, and cited 15 times for speeding or disobeying traffic signals in the past 9 years. She has once had her driver's license suspended for 30 days. Additionally, she has had several traffic collisions during that period. Her final collision (please let this be her final collision) took the life of our member and friend Colin Foote. When this incident happened, Reale was on probation for a 2009 drug charge, released with the stipulation that she 'not get into any trouble' of any kind. Laura's uncle is a RI state senator, which many people suspect is the reason behind her lenient punishments in the past.

Colin had spent Sunday enjoying Block Island (RI) with his mother, Maryann, and his younger brother Christopher. On their way back to thier RI home, Colin was riding a motorcycle he and his dad (Robin) had worked on and restored. His mom and brother were driving a car directly behind Colin. At an intersection they all stopped for the red light. Colin was the first vehicle at the light, and his family was the second vehicle, directly behind him.

When the light changed, Colin began crossing the intersection. Driving a Volkswagen, Laura Reale ran the redlight and sped into the intersection, hitting Colin at more than 50mph. This happened directly in front of Colin's family. Colin did not survive the night.

Reale had not tried to slow down for the light. She didn't hit her brakes or even swerve. Colin probably never saw her coming.

Reale has been charged with felony reckless driving resulting in a death, and a misdemeanor violation of her probation. She is out on bond until her next court appearance in early June. Her Operator's license and passport have been confiscated.

Since felony charges have now been preferred against Reale, this case is now out of the hands of the Attorney General, and into the trial court system for the District Attorney to try.

We don't know a lot about Laura Reale. We've heard about her nefarious driving habits and prior (at least) drug involvement. No person is 'all good' or 'all bad'. We haven't heard much about Laura's good side, if she has one.

Her MySpace page from three years ago lists her as a teacher's aide, with some college background and one friend. She lists Alcoholic Anonymous as one of her favorite organizations; she says she's a smoker (no details) but a non-drinker. No details about the marijuana charge were printed, except that she pled no contest in summer 2009 and paid a fine. http://www.myspace.com/stormee2

Laura's home phone has been disconnected since this incident. I can only imagine how many calls she might have received ~ probably not all welcomed, and not all at considerate hours.

So where does this leave US, the people who knew Colin and want to see our loss recognized?

Well, it was recommended that we contact Rhode Island's Attorney General (Patrick Lynch) and press him for a Grand Jury to indict Laura Reale. Now that felony charges have already been referred against her, that no longer appears necessary.

The District Attorney will now try the case against Laura Reale. Although no outside opinion or influence is proper in any fair court of law, the District Attorney should be able to tell the judge and jury what the public's attitude is about the case, for sentencing considerations. That's considered during the Aggravation, Extenuation and Mitigation phase of the sentencing, once a defendant has been found guilty of an offense. It tells the court good things and bad things about the perpetrator, which may be considered when awarding punishment.

If you wish to voice your opinion to the court about Laura's punishment, you may send mail to:

The Honorable Judge Edwin GALE*
Rhode Island District Court, 4th Division
4800 Tower Hill Road
Wakefield, Rhode Island 02879
(401.782.4131)

*(EDIT: I have since called the Prosecutor in this case, Cindy Soccio [So SHE oh] and learned that under RI law, only the direct victims can submit any type of input to the trial of an accused, as we expected. However, if we wish to make our grief known to the court and request a heavy permissible punishment, the appropriate addressee is the Judge himself. His name is The Honorable Judge Edwin GALE, at the address above. He will not accept voicemails or emails, only letters.

Under RI law, the maximum permissible sentence Laura Reale faces for the driving charges against her is 10 years imprisonment.

Unless you know Rhode Island law, you might sound more believable if you refrained from suggesting specific sentences, like "life imprisionment' or 'life without parole', etc. )

While I am still reeling from the grief of this tragic loss, I also look with some sadness at the additional grief the Reale family is about to go through themselves. Regardless of how we feel about Laura, she is somebody's "little girl", who is about to be ripped from society and locked away from them. As hard as it might be for us to accept it, somebody loves this girl and is going to suffer when she is (appropriately) locked up.

As vengeful as her actions make me feel, I keep asking myself what my stand would be if it had been my own little girl who negligently killed our buddy. I don't envy anyone involved in this tragic, tragic mess.

One thing we ALL can do is let this horror story inspire us to DRIVE MORE SAFELY. We're all tempted to do the same things Laura Reale did, each time we drive. It's hard to resist temptation when you drive a great car like a Z. But the next time we want to speed or try to beat a traffic light, PLEASE think of Colin and slow down.

Tell yourself you're doing it for him.

Frank
( _ / _ / . / . )

Last edited by Frank T on Wed May 26, 2010 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Laura Reale
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:00 am 

Frank,

Thank you for your factual recitation of the current facts and status of this matter including your call to action by the membership on Colin's behalf and solid, sound advice. Your balanced viewpoints and ability to report globally and with balanced opinion on issues that pertain to Z cars, members or otherwise, is one of the greatest, most valued assets we have in the CTZCC.

I will be getting back with you on the specific RI legal language for the crimes committed and what the maximum penalties we are seeking. After initial, general comments are submitted to the AG's Office, there will be time to communicate in an articulate, rational manner, these specifics prior to the Grand Jury hearing which is presently scheduled for late June, early-mid July.

With regard to Reale's rights, I will reserve comment. However, it may be good for interested members to click on the following link to see a picture of this person. I ask you all to look as deep into those eyes as you can to determine if you see any glimpse of God, morality or remorse. For myself, I can only see a chilling, self-centered Anti-Christ.

Here's the link:
http://thewesterlysun.com/news/article_ ... mode=story

At the right time we will be free to relate the unfathomable attitude and response of this "human" at the accident scene as reported by the police investigation and eye witnesses. I truly doubt that, when the facts are known, there will be any justified sadness or grieving for the predicament that this creature has brought upon herself and her family. In this regard, in addition to the link below, I think a recent Boston Globe article will help put matters in perspective as well:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... nightmare/

I will do my best to contain my personal feelings in future posts and I think it is a healthy thing to present all perspectives.

Robin Foote

First Owned - New 72' GREEN 240Z
2nd Owned - Used BLUE 74' 260Z

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:09 am 

Dear Members,

Here is another link to Laura Reale's court appearance photograph and some updated comments from readers of the Westerly Sun:

http://thewesterlysun.com/news/article_ ... ge&photo=1

Robin Foote

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:26 pm 

CTZCC Members,

RI State Representative Kilmartin is on board to champion the legislation that will, in fact, make repeat traffic violator laws much stricter. We are going to endeavor to get this passed before the legislature gets out in two weeks – a hard task because they are working on a lot of bills now, but everyone is doing their best to move this along in the spirit of justice.

Looks like a press conference may be set for this Thursday.

May want to muster any available Z car to parade to this press conference. Will know better tomorrow but just wanted to alert everyone. I have a very large beach house (6 bedrooms) in Narragansett, RI that we can put everyone up at if arriving tomorrow night - just bring sleeping bag .

It could be recommendation of our media advisors to hold off on a Z car ride/rally until a slightly later date to a support Grand Jury indictment (GD likey to convene in late June/Mid July).

The following link is to a live TV 10 broadcast of the arraignment of Laura Reale. This is not new but the comment section is updated and may be of interest.

http://www2.turnto10.com/jar/news/local ... ist/36870/

Look forward to hearing from anyone that may be available.

Robin Foote
401-741-1678

[/b]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:39 pm 

Update 9:35 PM Monday -

No Z cars needed this Thursday at press conference. Will wait for just before Grand Jury or to celebrate indictment.

Please stand by and would club activities please contact me to advise what weekend(s) may be open.

Thanks,

Robin Foote

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:59 pm 

Thank you, Robin ~ keep us updated on this, please.

Our constant thoughts remain with you and your family. I miss Colin already.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:32 am 

i emailed Robin first because i wanted their family to be the first to see it. i figured i would now share this with the club. we will always remember our friend Colin.

Attachments:
inmemoryofcolin1.jpg
inmemoryofcolin1.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 161602 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:49 am 

Mike,
Looks great! I especially like the photo being used and how you blurred the background. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:53 am 

thanks Ross it's the least i could do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:36 am 

Ahh, that's wonderful work. I want to see this displayed at each of our events and car shows. A very good tribute to our member Colin.

Good job, Mike ~ thanks. Can it be ready in time for our next meeting, on 09Jun?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:51 am 

thanks again Frank. i will have to discuss it with joe. it also comes down to cost factor since he has to go through the company next to him. we will be in touch Frank through email.

Post subject: Poster For Colin
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:16 pm 

Mike, Frank, Ross

It is through tears mixed with sadness and joy that I must tell you how overwhelmed I am with this beautiful, beautiful poster of Colin. This is a tribute that says it all for Colin's passion for Z cars and the pleasure and deep satisfaction and sense of brotherhood he got from being a part of the CTZCC.

While it is bittersweet, it will forever be one of my favorite images of Colin. I only wish he had the knowledge of the magnitude of the impact he made on so many of the members of the CTZCC and the people of the Z car community. Then again, I believe he now knows.

If at all possible, please send me a file that can be use at a commercial copy center so that I can make copies that I can have mounted to be given to his closest friends and co-workers.

My eternal, grateful thanks,

Robin Foote and Family

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:14 pm 

That's another excellent idea.

Mike? Joe? Can you guys arrange that for Robin?

(Mike T. and Joe P. have generously volunteered to handle this project for the Club, using their skills as a Graphic Designer and a professional Printer).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:31 pm 

Robin i am soo happy that you liked it and sure wish it was under better circumstances. someone like Colin deserves a tribute like this. from what i have been gathering of him if the role was reversed i am sure he would be trying to do something special for me.

and Frank i already sent the email to Robin with a scaled down version that could be printed on 8.5 x 11 paper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am 

Robin and all ~

I have edited my earlier message at the top of this page, wherein I posted an address to send opinions to. I called the Prosecutor's office and learned that the Judge himself is the appropriate addressee for our recommendations. Please see my edited notes below the address in my earlier message.

ALSO ~ Robin, in the TV news video clip you sent us about this matter, I noticed the intersection has cameras (imagers) mounted on the traffic light crossbars. Your attorney should be aware of that.

Frank

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next