Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: New Z
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:14 am 

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-ni ... ed-photos/

I saw this today and thought I'd share. It looks like the proto version was very close to the production model according to this article.

I love the original design (240Z) the most, it's as beautiful today as ever. Not many cars have aged as gracefully as the 240Z, I'm not sure the demand has changed at all for them. That said, I know it's not realistic to think Nissan would roll out a replica of the old design........for starters I don't think it would ever pass current safety requirements. I'm sure it wouldn't.

What I was secretly hoping for is a modern version where you could really see alot of the old car in there (retro-modern?) ala the Dodge Challenger. I really feel that they have accomplished that mission well, and thank goodness for that. I think the proportions are good (could have been a bit narrower), the roofline has the right profile, hood is great echoing the shape of an inline 6 (wish we'd see one of those too), and even retro-esq emblems which help bring an old school vibe.

In all honesty I'm sure if I could play with the design there would be some changes made, but I'm certainly not unhappy with it. Actually I am the opposite, I like it in pictures and I'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

It sure looks like a proper Z to me and I for one will be going on a test drive when they hit the lots!

Jay

Post subject: Re: New Z
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:20 pm 

Dang! Your write-up sounds great, but I can't make the link open to anything other than that "500-Houston-Problem" reject screen. I tried several ways, even disabled my adblockers and copied/paste the link.
Can you grab a screenshot of the car itself, without the article?
Frank

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:34 pm 

Hmm, I just clicked and the link worked for me. That's weird.

No problem. The photos in the article aren't as good as the ones of the prototype, as it was still in a crate so they couldn't get a good angle of more than part of it in any one shot.

But it looks like this.

Attachments:
Screenshot_20210323-133001.png
Screenshot_20210323-133001.png [ 477.2 KiB | Viewed 4100 times ]
Screenshot_20210323-133059.png
Screenshot_20210323-133059.png [ 377.19 KiB | Viewed 4100 times ]
Screenshot_20210323-133201.png
Screenshot_20210323-133201.png [ 441.47 KiB | Viewed 4100 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:44 pm 

From the article

Attachments:
Screenshot_20210323-134412.png
Screenshot_20210323-134412.png [ 539.22 KiB | Viewed 4099 times ]
Screenshot_20210323-134423.png
Screenshot_20210323-134423.png [ 425.58 KiB | Viewed 4099 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:19 pm 

I agree with you, Jay. I've been following all the 'new Z' news closely and was excited to see the new photos posted last night. IMO, I think the new design is an excellent throwback to the original; made for modern times. Great lines, and not over-baked like some other recently re-introduced sports cars from the past (I'm looking at you, Zupra!).

Great sleek styling... And with two turbo's and a proper stick, I will definitely be visiting my local Nissan dealership when they arrive. :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:51 pm 

Right?!

I'm glad it's not just me who's excited. And great point on the stick and twin turbos. There's a lot to like about it. These days they could easily be trying to pawn off a turbo 4cyl or hybrid power train on us.

They aren't, yet anyway.

I'm sure it won't lack for performance one bit. One article awhile back mentioned this version being something like 500lbs lighter than a 370z, which (if it's true) is remarkable and will probably have the largest impact on improving the performance of the current model.

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:45 am 

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: I'm with you Jay.

Although I have to say that I'm a little surprised at the lack of 'buzz' on our Z-dedicated website here. I consider this to be big news, but I'm not seeing much coverage. I'm guessing that people either don't like it (??!), or they're content with what they have. Either of which is fine, but I'm glad that there's at least one other person interested in this car. A new Z doesn't come around often.. especially one that draws this much inspiration from the original. :|

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:08 am 

I would like it more if they sold an optional panel to cover the bottom half of that gaping hole they call a grille. I feel that's the only weak part of the design. The rest of the car looks good, and would hope they were running a strong V6 in there?

But sitting beside that old Fairlady? I would still opt for the original.
Frank

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:54 pm 

Frank I wouldn't be too surprised if the aftermarket comes up with different front "bumpers" to do just what you are saying. I'd guess it'll be a simple swap for anyone so inclined. I admit I didn't love the large opening at first, and would probably have played with some bumper designs to alter it if given the chance.......but it's actually grown on me quite a bit. If I had one I'd leave it be.

I can't say the same for the upcoming BMW M4 fascia I saw recently. That one I don't see myself coming around to.

For the engine, yes a powerful V6. 400hp is what's being reported. Well more than I require, but would easily be turned up with custom tuning should one desire to.

As to which one to go with, the fairlady or the new Z.......I'd take both. :mrgreen:

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:22 pm 

It is one of the better looking sports cars to come out recently... Although I am partial, and very dissapointed, to the IDX that fell through (die hard 510 guy here)...

My biggest issue with the car is the cost... they are saying $38-40k starting point for it. My guess is it goes north of that for most models, and if they do produce a limited number it could go even higher with dealer mark ups.

As a 510 guy and a big fan of old cars, I am not a fan of all the new gadgets and everything in cars. The BRZ was the first modern sports coupe I have been interested in - got a soft spot for the original (04-05 Subaru STIs too) - because it was pretty limited in the "extra" stuff added. To me the Auto trans immediately discredits it... I know they are "faster"--- but is faster really better?

All I can say is last summer (being stuck at home cause of Covid, and not really driving anywhere) I put 1,000+ miles on my '78 620 truck... Its just that much more fun to drive!

I nice 250-300hp barebones basic sports car with a manual trans and a reasonable price and I would be super interested in the car - maybe even enough to keep me from buying another 510. But as it sits right now... Ill hunt down another 510 and spend 30k on that before I buy a 400z.

‘71 4Dr 510 -- '73 240z

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:05 am 

I liked the IDx concept too! I'm still hoping they reconsider making it.

I've always loved 510s too. Hoping I get to have one of those one-day.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:02 pm 

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/alle ... 58254.html

According to this article (again, not official news yet) from today, pricing will start at $34,995 for a base model. There are three trim options reported type s, type t, and type st. No details on what's included with those. The first two trims tack on $5k to the price, the last tacks on a hefty $10k.

It seems the 400hp number has been confirmed as well. It's not cheap but compared with it's peers (like Toyota Supra) it's a relative bargain. The highest output Supra is 382hp and starts at $50k and change. The new Z will offer more power starting at $35k.....that actually postures it well in the market I think.

$35k is still alot of $$, but it sounds like it'll be a lot of car for $35k....if that makes sense.

They also mention the model name being "Fairlady" for Japan, and "Z" for America.

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:17 pm 

jp260z wrote:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/alleged-insider-has-all-2022-nissan-z-juicy-details-pricing-and-launch-included-158254.html

According to this article (again, not official news yet) from today, pricing will start at $34,995 for a base model. There are three trim options reported type s, type t, and type st. No details on what's included with those. The first two trims tack on $5k to the price, the last tacks on a hefty $10k.

It seems the 400hp number has been confirmed as well. It's not cheap but compared with it's peers (like Toyota Supra) it's a relative bargain. The highest output Supra is 382hp and starts at $50k and change. The new Z will offer more power starting at $35k.....that actually postures it well in the market I think.

$35k is still alot of $$, but it sounds like it'll be a lot of car for $35k....if that makes sense.

They also mention the model name being "Fairlady" for Japan, and "Z" for America.

Jay

Saw this today too. Things are looking GOOD :D :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:38 pm 

New article on the forthcoming Z by Road and Track, for anyone looking for 3 minutes of Z related reading.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... rld-needs/

Jay

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:08 pm 

Well written!

But now I'm unsure whether I want to run out and buy a 400Z or a Samurai sword.