Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: A Blast From The Past
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:38 am 

Happy February 2021,

I say that with tongue in cheek. During these days of COVID-19, I thought we could all use a blast from the past re-incarnated. If you haven't heard the latest version of Don McClean's "American Pie", take a listen. Guaranteed to bring a smile and might even get you out of your recliner to grab your partner and kick up your heels a bit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RlTZdYXcKg

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:37 am 

Awesome! Thanks for sharing Alan. I must be getting old, becoming more sentimental I guess. Smiling and wiping tears from my eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:55 am 

Good stuff! Brings back lots of memories.
You haven't lived until you hear about 100 off-duty Marines sing this together in a bar after 3-4 beers each. This, and John Denver's 'Country Roads'.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:09 pm 

There’s another newer classic coming to mind: Garth Brooks' Friends In Low Places!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:08 am 

:lol:
Alan, that song brings back some old memories for me. I was never a big fan of country music growing up. More of a R&R guy I guess.

Back in 1990, I was hired by a company based in Houston for a technical Sales position for the NE. I had to spend 3 weeks in Houston (actually LaMarque, TX) for training and orientation whereas I was thrown into that country music scene without much choice. Garth's song hit the charts back then and I kinda liked it. The company provided me with a brand new company car (base model Ford Taurus) in which I drove all the way back to CT in after my training. I don't recall how many times I heard that song being played on the radio during my trip home, but thankfully most people were spared hearing me singing along to that song all the way home.

I followed an 18 wheeler for over 200 miles during the trip, as he was booking along pretty good "running interference" for me with what I would expect to be all of his radar and CB radios. As we finally parted ways, we gave each other a friendly wave and went our separate ways. He was probably singing along to that song as well. :)

Today I enjoy a bit of country music, Garth and Alan Jackson are my favorites. Thanks, for the good "road trip" memories. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:28 am 

"I liked BOTH kinds of music ~ Country AND Western!"
I was awash in Country music from the late-'60s to the early '80s. Stationed in the South and out West, we were surrounded by it. Merle Haggard got me into it but George Jones (a Marine) was my favorite. Many other names like Bobby Bare (who sang all of Shel Silverstein's songs), the Carter Family (true bluegrass and mountain music) and Emmylou Harris (a Marine hero's daughter) filled my mug.

Country changed A LOT during that time and by the time Garth Brooks came along, it had been watered-down so much nobody could even cry to it anymore. Brooks marked the end of the line for me and Country. He was more of a sensational entertainer than a musician; I remember him even arriving on-stage by a rope zip-line with a fireworks, smoke, and light show all around him. Nonetheless, he made a ton of money and a new generation of "Country" fans flocked to him. I just aimed my Z elsewhere and drove away. Today, any time I pick up my guitar, it comes out Country.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:01 pm 

Howdy Frank,

I might be able to go back a few more years than the 60's. Kitty Wells, Elton Britt, Wilf Carter (Montana Slim), T. Texas Tyler, Tex Ritter, Wilma Lee and Stoney Cooper, Roy Acuff, Hank Williams, Minnie Pearl, Jean Shepherd, Jeannie Seely, Jim and Jesse, Stonewall Jackson, Jim Reeves, Jumpin' Bill Carlisle, Lester and Earl, Bobby and Sonny Osborne, Charlie and Ira Louvin, Jim Ed and sisters Maxine and Bonnie, Melba Montgomery, Johnny and Jack (Ashes of Love). I'm sure I've left off quite a few of the old timers.

Speaking of "old timers"...find and play Emmylou Harris' "Old Five And Dimers". Backup is John Starling and Mike Auldridge on harmony and dobro from the original Seldom Scene. One of the best to come down the pike in a long time!!

Y'all come back, heaah!

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:04 pm 

Thanks Alan. I have a bunch of kitty Wells', Jim Reeves' and Patsy Kline's old stuff and listen to it a few times each month. As George Jones was retiring he sort of handed his torch to Randy Travis. Randy soon got fed up with the C&W backroom politics and just walked away to do strictly gospel.

I met Lester Flatt on his front porch once before he died, but he probably didn't know I was there, let alone who I was. His daughter tried to explain that I was a fan who was driving thru town and wanted to meet him. He smiled but never spoke. Shame. I'm not sure he even knew where he was.

During the '70s I attended a bunch of country concerts including 4 George Jones shows. He actually showed up to two of those. :roll: George's reputation as a "NoShow" led a lot of unscrupulous bar owners to falsely claim a booking just to pack the house. An hour after the show was supposed to begin and the warm-up bands were all worn out, the house announced George wasn't coming. Everybody got their admission price back, but by then they had still packed the house and drained the bar, making the owner a bundle. A few of those owners got caught doing that.

Merle Haggard did an incredible show in Hawaii with individual contact with most of the audience. He seemed genuinely interested in where each person was from, and told funny stories about those towns if he'd ever been there. Tom T. Hall gave one of the most-enjoyable shows I've ever attended, but was happily drunk all the way thru it.

Crystal Galye, Tammy Wynette, Sammi Smith, Linda Ronstadt, EmmyLou, Dolly and Merrilee Rush all came to see me in Hawaii. Of course I had to pay $7.50 to sit in the same room with them and we were chaperoned by about 300 other people, but I could pretend it was a date.

Country got me thru some hard times, or maybe caused some of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:51 am 

Mornin' Frank (or should I say ol' timer?)

Shame on us both...we left off one of the best by far. How could we forget Lefty Frizzell? I belive he was the start of all the heavy nasal sounding artists, including Randy Travis. I still answer the question: How long ya been married? with "Forever And Ever Amen"! I use my roku to get RFDTV and the old country shows.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:28 am 

Lefty put one of the biggest indelible thumbprints on Country that anyone ever left. I picked up on him in the very early '60s, but he was ending his best years by then. The music industry effectively killed him at an early age. Funny, I just sang "Gone, gone, gone" a few days ago.

I guess my very earliest influences would have been Jimmy Rodgers and Roy Acuff, but The Carters really caught my attention on the Opry, Hayride, and Barndance shows.

C&W was a lot different back in the '50s than it is today. I hated the silly costume suits Porter Waggoner and the rest wore, but I loved the music. I didn't get really personally (exclusively) into Country until the late '60s, so I appreciated the later song "I was country when country wasn't cool" with Barbara Mandrell and The Possum.

I'm glad you're around to keep this stuff alive, especially during the pandemic lock-down. :thumbs_up: :wink: :thumbs_up: YeeHAWW!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:06 pm 

I just listened to ELH sing Five and Dimers; I'd never heard it before altho it seems to have been covered by about 100 other artists.

There was a long period in my life when I would have tried to kiss ELH to death. She was one of my favorite singers of any genre and I had posters of her around my bachelor pad back in the day. Her daddy was a hero Marine who I met several times and respected without ever knowing they were father/daughter. He flew USMC helicopter "Marine-1" for several Presidents. He flew during WWII and was a POW during Korea. He wrote the Code of Conduct which every servicemen memorizes and is held accountable to if captured by the enemy.

Without being sacrilegious or disloyal to 4 decades of following The Great Emmylou, I wish she'd retire gracefully and get off the stage. Her forte has always been harmony, and at that she was the very best in the business. Nobody (and I mean that, sincerely) could harmonize like ELH, and she has sung with everyone you can name. Every song she harmonized to has sold well.

But after 50+ years both her voice and her hearing are gone. She carried her career past the point when her voice allowed her to sing lead intelligibly, and today I can't understand a single thing she slurs into a mic. It hurts my heart to see the Queen of the Silver Dollar try to reign again. For me it's like watching an old race horse trying to keep up with the pack.

She is an industry name and an icon today, and by now she cannot possibly need the money badly enough to stand up in front of a mic and tarnish her stellar career. I wish she had retired a decade ago so that her present slurs and over-modulation aren't how we will remember her. It's like watching Elvis deteriorate at the microphone.

Attachments:
iu-3.jpeg
iu-3.jpeg [ 25.15 KiB | Viewed 3889 times ]
iu-7.jpeg
iu-7.jpeg [ 22.72 KiB | Viewed 3889 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:56 am 

And as long as we're tossing around tunes, I invite you not to forget these guys:

https://youtu.be/lP_eq5cvobk

Their studio audio is far better than on their street performances. They might just get us thru the covid lockdown semi-sane.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:49 pm 

OK you old country bumpkins. :P I've heard that piece before, great sound. But this was the band back in my day that, what I thought, had those great harmonies and talent. I saw them live at Woodstock (1969) along with the rest of the bands that performed. What a time!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=cr ... 7D02EBF023

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:17 pm 

:shock: Wait ~ WHAT?
You were at Woodstock?!!
:shock:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:26 am 

I just happen to find that 45 recently. So you have to flip the record to finish listening to the song. I was only 1 at the time of Woodstock, but I have the vinyl collection of the show. I went to the second one and I just knew it wasn't the same. I still play Records and have a huge collection and once in awhile I'll do a "Vinyl Revival" piece on Facebook. Last one was Joni Michell's Blue album. I like the Blast from the Past......Old school Rules!!!

Attachments:
20210103_191941.jpg
20210103_191941.jpg [ 382.54 KiB | Viewed 3865 times ]
20210103_191932.jpg
20210103_191932.jpg [ 374.86 KiB | Viewed 3865 times ]