Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:33 am 

I sat at the front seat in the balcony for a Joni Mitchell concert in Hawaii in 1974. The whole audience lit up except me and my date. We were just there for the music and each other. Joni remarked "I can smell your Maui Wowie".

Between songs some wild long-haired kid came running down the aisle naked and smiling, right past me, paused just a second at the rail, then did a swan dive off the balcony into the aisle below. Terrified screams from the audience (kid was killed). Everyone was ordered to keep their seats while the emergency crew quickly mopped this kid up. Joni just kept on singing; the show must go on.
It kind of put a damper on the date. Wherever that girl is today I know she hasn't forgotten that incident; it was our first and last date. I really know how to show a gal a good time. :roll:
Kids, this is your brain on drugs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:34 pm 

Frank, John, Paul...

Over the past few years I have come to like a bluegrass band known as Dailey and Vincent. Their instrumental and harmony qualities are beyond all. The band featured Jeff Parker, tenor on mandolin, Jamie Dailey,lead on rhythm guitar Darrin Vincent, low tenor and bass, and Aaron McCune bass vocals. They are sometimes backed up by drums, keyboard, bass, fiddle and another guitar. This recording of "Give Me All The Love You've Got", is a good showcase number of this group. Give it a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSuDA9yZtVc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:54 pm 

Wow, McCune is incredible on the Bass vocals!

As soon as I get my second hip replaced, I'll be able to Clog to this! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:48 am 

Wow, that's some serious pick'n and fiddli'n!

Here's a more current song for yawl by the great Ray Stevens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtjceaknzHQ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:22 am 

This one's for you, Alan.
It says it all, far better than I ever could.

https://youtu.be/vxHjRqnY7zA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:17 pm 

I should mention that I changed a flat tire for Waylon Jennings in 1979, without even knowing it was him.
I was stationed in NC and had orders to Okinawa (my 6th tour there) and I wanted to drive cross-country once again. Oki is pretty confined and the max speed limit there was just 37mph on the highways, enforced with gusto and ferocity.

I had a Mercury Comet 289 convertible WITH air-conditioning (rare combo) and wanted to drive 3,000 miles before spending a year locked on The Rock. My plan was to sell the car in California before flying out of San Bernadino.
Not finding anyone interested in the car down in town, I was driving up to Big Bear Lake to a swap meet/car show near the top.

As I climbed up the 2-lane highway in the San Bernadino mountains, a silver hubcap came rolling past me at high speed in the downhill lane. No other traffic was in sight in either direction. I was a little puzzled at that until up ahead I saw a car on the downhill shoulder with a small camper trailer on the back.

As I cruised past it I saw an obviously obese shaggy haired sweaty older man staring forlornly at a flat tire on the left front of a very perfect 1969 front-wheel drive Buick Riviera (and the trailer missing a wheel cover). He was obviously too far out of shape to change it himself and his girlfriend was standing near him, arms folded. It was long before cellphones and we were in the middle of nowhere, on the side of a mountain. I turned around and came back downhill and parked behind them.

As I changed the tire his girlfriend brought him a folding chair and a mason jar of moonshine from the tailer. I respectfully declined. Then she brought him out a really expensive professional 6-string and he sat there playing while I worked. He was really good.

When he asked me if I had any favorites I'd like to hear I requested "Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys", which had been a recent big Waylon hit. They both laughed, which I thought was strange. But he hit into it and did it so well, I actually stopped work and sang along with him. When he finished I told him he could make an excellent performer if he ever wanted to play and sing professionally, and told him he did that song every bit as well as Waylon Jennings did. They both roared with laughter. The girl said, "He IS Waylon, and I'm Jessi Colter!".

I was stunned. I looked carefully at them and saw they really were them. In their sloppy sweaty summer street clothes, unshaven and without the makeup, hair dye and costumes, I hadn't recognized either of them. They both looked a decade older and grayer (especially her) than their stage personas.

Anyway, that was my first and only encounter with the 'real' Waylon and Jessi.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:08 pm 

You continue to amaze us with your life stories! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:59 pm 

Nothing beats your Woodstock...
What day did you get there, before or after they tore down the fences and let everyone in for free?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:17 am 

We arrived around 1AM on Saturday morning, parked my car in a field alongside the cows. Too much to tell here. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:48 pm 

For the 50th anniversary in 2019 I wrote a detailed article on the history of the 1969 Woodstock, and learned a hundred details about it. I was "busy" that weekend and stationed in a galaxy far, far away.
Years later I created this shirt, which became semi-famous and appeared on bumper stickers and sweatshirts. Still available, altho I get no royalties. I still own the very first shirt which rolled off the dryer.

Attachments:
File comment: I created this design here in CT in the early 1990s. It sold well and was later applied to other service branches as well.
iu-3.jpeg
iu-3.jpeg [ 40.42 KiB | Viewed 3232 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:03 pm 

It has since been used by many other printers, in many various forms, and is still widely available. It makes me all warm and toasty when I see it displayed on the street, or especially at the VA.

Attachments:
A36-MP9690.jpg
A36-MP9690.jpg [ 64 KiB | Viewed 3232 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:17 pm 

Geez, we are getting old! We discussed this back on October 3 2017, Off Topic -> Tom Petty. :lol:

But just for grins, here are 3 old pics of the "gang" that went to Woodstock with me. The cutie sitting on the hood of my car in the middle later became my wife. 8) I know I had more pics of the event but I have not been able to find them. :(

Attachments:
Woodstock 1969.pdf [794.33 KiB]
Downloaded 180 times

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:44 am 

Is that a Plymouth Satellite?
318 or 383?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 am 

'68 Plymouth Belvedere, 273 V8, 3 on the tree, HD suspension, Sure-grip rear. :shock: Don't ask.