Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:21 pm 

Fascinating vintage video of the 1967 German Gran Prix (Nurburgring) which was the toughest course in the F1 series. Cars and drivers took a beating from the bumps, turns and hills, often causing the cars to fly on the track. Little track safety features were in place yet. This was truly the golden age of F1 racing as cars were, I think, the most beautiful machines ever made and the drivers were considered racing Gods. You will see lots of familiar drivers including Clark, Spence, Hill, Chapman, Gurney, Mclaren, Hulme, Surtees, Brabham, Amon, Ickx and others. Neat interview with Fangio as well.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxYAQdn5x_U

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:30 am 

What a cavalcade of champions! These were the idols of my youth, and I couldn't agree with you more John, this was the epitome of F1 road racing for me too. The cars were all engine and fuel, huge outside wheels, no real rollbar protection, no seatbelts, slender cigar tubes on wheels running 130mph 3" off the deck, screaming like banshees.

@01:28 I spied one of my heroes, Denis Jenkinson. "Jenks" was the lead correspondent for MotorSport and (later) Sports Car Graphic, my two favorite car magazines of the '50s and '60s. He wrote with wit and awe, and signed his monthly articles "DSJ" or "YrFthflSrvnt". Jenks had served several seasons as a motorcycle sidecar "monkey", which probably takes more nerve than any other job in motorsports. Because of that (and knowing that Jenks could relate the experience in writing better than any living sports reporter), Stirling Moss asked Jenks to ride with him on the 1955 Mille Miglia as his navigator.

The two set the still-unbroken world's record. Moss piloted his MB300SLR over 1,000 miles to victory in 10hours to average 99mph, finishing 32 minutes ahead of World Champion Juan Fangio. Jenkinson wrote his life's achievement story "With Moss at the Mille Miglia" and the racing world considered them both champions.

Attachments:
File comment: Moss delirious at having won and beaten Fangio; Jenks delirious just to have survived.
iu-2.jpeg
iu-2.jpeg [ 29.19 KiB | Viewed 1820 times ]
File comment: Blasting thru one of the thousands of turns on their way to the 1955 victory and a never-beaten world record.
iu-3.jpeg
iu-3.jpeg [ 36.45 KiB | Viewed 1820 times ]
File comment: In the car before the race, Jenks demonstrates the ingenious scroll device he created, showing hand-written notes and symbols of every turn on the 1,000 mile course. That device helped them win and became the forerunner of the later Halda Speedpilot and today's GPS.
iu-4.jpeg
iu-4.jpeg [ 38.63 KiB | Viewed 1820 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:17 pm 

Cool video John. Those cars were fast! I was amazed at the crowd standing near the track as the cars came running through, no safety barriers of ANY kind. :shock:

Alot of great racing happened before my time. I've got to say though, the narrator in those old videos always sounds the same. Whether it's boxing, rbaseball, racing or whatever. They all sound the same to me! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:22 pm 

Ha! I know what you mean Jay. I think the same guy announced the Hindenburg disaster.... OH THE HUMANITY!!!