Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:55 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Not a Datsun but....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:14 am 

I just watched this video this morning. It's a Porsche 911T being fully restored by Porsche Classic, Porsche's restoration division in Stuttgart.

If you have OCD like me you'll probably enjoy watching this. :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AzIlmb_agI4

Post subject: Re: Not a Datsun but....
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:49 am 

An investment for sure. Perfect results.
Our guys would have been wearing gloves and goggles and ear protection! :lol:

The following video was a 507 BMW!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:27 pm 

I was thinking that, not big on PPE over there I guess. :roll:

Beautiful workshop and very nice attention to detail. I've always wanted to do one to that extent just to satisfy my fussy nature haha. I don't have that kind of time and I don't think I have the patience anymore either. The biggest problem I think is that I'd probably have a hard time enjoying it as I'd always be worried something was going to happen to it.

Like being pushed down a hill. :|

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:38 pm 

I guess the very best car body and paint guy I know is our member Jim Kinsella. He's a local member of our Club but he works so constantly, he never has time to come on here and chat.

Jim runs a one-man shop which produces world-class perfect cars. Our Club has paid visits to him on weekends just to drool over the cars he has waiting for his master-class touch. Old Porsches. Newer Porsches. E-Jags. Classic motorcycles. All lined up around the shop, waiting their turn. Jim used to be the lead painter for Classic Restorations in CT, the go-to company in the world for 100-point Concurs classic cars. He left to open his own business.

A testament to his prowess is that he was choZen to restore and paint one of the only TWO 1957 (hand-built in 1956) Stanguellini 1100 roadsters in the world. This was a priceless car, raced by several big-name European champions, and winner of it's class in many mid-'50s grands prix. Jim took it completely apart and stripped it right down to the metal, pounded out the slightest imperfections (on a hand-built car) and coated it in a world-class paint job. It showed at Lime Rock about a day after it got put back together and at Pebble Beach the following year. He has done several such world-class restorations.

I'll see if I can find some pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9504

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9488

Jim is a former 240Z owner (and is looking for another now). He has painted at least two of our members' 240Zs (Mike W and JohnnyZ) with "lifetime" paint jobs. Altho both of these cars were painted more than a decade ago, they both win trophies in each car show they enter. Perfect cars, perfect paint.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:49 pm 

Jim must be a hard worker to be in a one man shop. I'll bet he's there all the time.

John's Z is gorgeous, so that speaks to Jim's work for sure. That car is nicer than when new!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:11 pm 

Enjoyed the video. Interesting use of prefabricated jigs to ensure the proper fit of components. It's always amazing to watch true artisans working on these pieces of automobile art.

BTW, did any of you notice the unusual wear on some of the tranny gears at around 18min. into the video? :?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:38 pm 

I thought because the reverse herringbone gears were cut opposite the others they were reflecting light differently. I think if this professional Porsche restoration man had noticed any real scoring or chipping on any of the gears, he would have changed them out or at least re-dressed them. He had to take them out of the parts cleaner and inspect each one as he placed them on the countershaft.

Pretty sure he wouldn't want to have to tear it all back down again when the new owner heard a whine or a click in the gearbox.