Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:58 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Remember Bank Day?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:03 am 

Frank T got me thinking of my early days in school with his topic on where we were when JFK was assassinated. That was a sad event to be sure, and so I started to put myself in a "better place" by trying to remember some of the other events that I could recall in my elementary school days.

Of course most of us "boomers" remember drills requiring us to crouch under our school desks to protect us from a nuclear attack which I'm sure would have saved us all :o, but do any of you folks remember what I think was called "bank day"? From what I remember, when I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade in Levittown Lawng Island, each student had a "bank savings book" issued from the Franklin National Bank in which we would keep a record of our weekly(?) deposits of maybe $.50. I can't remember all of the logistics on who kept the books (teacher or me) during the school year or how often or how much we were to deposit, but what I do remember is looking at the accruing amount including interest (Wow! :shock: free money!). Obviously the program was designed to teach us young'ns the virtue of saving for a rainy day. What a concept! That's when I started saving my money for my 240Z! :D

Post subject: Re: Remember Bank Day?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:29 pm 

Haha! Us, too!
I must have saved nearly $20 by the time I graduated and cleaned my bank account out to buy my first car, too (a 1936 Hudson Terraplane). I 'owned' it just hours; my father came home from work, marched me straight down to the car dealer and got my deposit back.

I think the teacher taught us how to maintain the bank books. Remember milk money? And your Weekly Reader? And Dick, Jane and Sally? What was their vicious killer dog's name?

Attachments:
Hudson_Terraplane_1937_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg
Hudson_Terraplane_1937_-_Flickr_-_mick_-_Lumix.jpg [ 16.75 KiB | Viewed 3859 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:17 pm 

Flip????

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:13 pm 

SPOT!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:13 am 

OH, RIGHT!
:thumbs_up: :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

And I also remember reading a series about a bunch of runaway orphan kids called "The Boxcar Children".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:23 am 

This is almost painfully embarrassing to print this.
Were any of us ever really this young?

http://northeastnews.net/pages/remember ... -and-jane/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:23 am 

Now racially "incorrect", does anyone remember a children's book titled "Little Black Sambo"? :shock: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:15 am 

Good Stuff!

I just don't remember the Dick and Jane book. What I do remember was reading a book(s) that had the line, "Run Flip Run!".

And yes, I remember reading the Golden Book series(?) of books which included "Little Black Sambo".

Times have changed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:25 pm 

Sure ~ Little Black Sambo was the kid who invented butter!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:11 pm 

The tiger changed into butter , chasing Sambo. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 pm 

:lol: Yup! :thumbs_up:

Q: (How did you manage to underline "tiger"? :shock: I've been on this website for almost 12 years and never knew we could do that).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:52 am 

Hi Frank.

In the Post a Reply area you have "Subject:" and then below that "Message body:" Immediately to the right (Below the Subject box) you'll see [ B ] = BOLD , followed by [ i ] = italics, and then [ u ] = underline .

After you single finger type your message you just have to highlight the words, sentences, character(s) you want to Underline, make Bold and/or ItaliciZe by just tapping each button/effect you would like. Whallah! . :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

P.S.: Switch fingers ever so often like I do. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:03 pm 

[u]THANK YOU![/u]

[b][I][u](Fail)[/u][/i][/b]

[u]DUHHH.[/u]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:17 am 

Gentlemen (and ladies if any are present),

Hoping all enjoyed a pleasant Thanksgiving Day!

Today is one of those days during the holiday season when I just can't sleep like an old guy should! Thanks for the chuckles (remember them: 5 Chuckles, 5 flavors, 5 cents). The conversation about school banking brought back memories. But...I remember "war stamps" or savings stamps. Once a week someone would be assigned to sell stamps, I believe worth a thin dime. They were kept in a savings account book like any other account. If memory serves, and it's been a while, they were converted into War Bonds. I don't think I ever got a "bond" because it would cost 250 dimes! That's years plus of dimes! I don't understand why the word "war" entered the picture because I started school in 1948, three years after the famous signing on board the USS Mighty Mo. I guess the program may have continued into the Korean Conflict.

Another old memory: Remember buying a pack of smokes in a machine that only took quarters and the smokes were $0.23? The two pennies change was inside the celophane package!

Stay safe, all!

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 pm 

Alan, you have another 30-40 years before you qualify as 'old'.

Each country offered their own War Bond program, beginning in WW-1. Civilians purchasing federal bonds gave the govt 'extra money' (there's no such thing) to fund the war of the moment. By the time of WW2 the USA had begun offering school kids the chance to buy-into the Bond Program (which had nothing whatever to do wth 007) with lesser amounts:

["For those that found it difficult to purchase an entire bond at once, 10-cent savings stamps could be purchased and collected in Treasury-approved stamp albums until the recipient had accumulated enough stamps for a bond purchase. The name of the bonds was eventually changed to War Bonds after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, which resulted in the United States entering the war"]. The Scouts in each nation were active recruiters of the program.

During the Vietnam war, the military required all recruits to allot some of their monthly pay toward the Savings Bond Program, under the guise of teaching us responsible savings.

In truth, Bonds were simply a way for the govt to borrow money from civilians during time of national emergencies. They were sold at one price, and offered a higher 'maturity rate' which made us feel we were making a profit. In fact, the program was carefully planned to match the nation's projected rate of inflation. When we cashed-in our $13.50 bond for $18 five years later, we were actually getting back the same buying-power of our original money, and had lent our government a five year interest-free loan. If you cashed in your bond before the maturity date, you actually lost money on your 'Investment'.
Don't ask how I know that. :roll:

I've never smoked cigarettes so I don't recall the two-penny refund, but those cigarette machines used to drop a free book of matches with each purchase, and people with lighters just left them there for us kids to find :twisted:

You might find several books in each machine, enough to arm your whole gang with a book apiece. I'm confident the results of that availability caused widespread use of the term, "kids playing with matches", and associated property damage.