Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: F1 - Vanwall
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:40 pm 

Frank T...So here's a chance to own my favorite F1 car. I was 11-12 when this car stunned the racing world. This car was my all time winner, driven by Sir Stirling and Tony Brooks. They are now building 6 continuation cars at about 2 million bucks each....Sooo sell the Z for that million bucks you have it advertised for and I'll come up with the rest!
I actually own one, yep, owned since new in 1957-58. As you can tell from the photos it has plenty of battle scars! I think I was the first in line at the toy store to get my Vanwall when they came out.
https://sportscardigest.com/1958-vanwal ... kly-update

ColinĀ 
the older one

Attachments:
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG [ 564.42 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG [ 443.97 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG [ 291.06 KiB | Viewed 1729 times ]

Post subject: Re: F1 - Vanwall
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:34 pm 

Sir Stirling drove the #7 Vanwall car during his winning 1958 season. :thumbs_up:

Vanwalls were the last of the great front-engine GP cars, and were favored by most of the great drivers who couldn't find a seat with Maserati or Ferrari.

I remember the Vanwalls for something other than what everyone else seems to credit them for; I feel they were the first GP cars to use canted-shock suspension. Up until the mid-'50s, Gp cars had upright coilover shocks on all wheels. Between the 1957/'58 seasons Vanwall adopted a tubular chassis designed by Colin Chapman and they found their normal rear suspension didn't quite fit as it did before. Simply as a fix, they canted the rear shocks top-in, bottoms-out. Everything fit fine, but they also discovered added adhesion and lateral grip from that arrangement.

Porsche started the rear-engined F1 car design and others followed. By 1959 most cars were (clumsily) trying rear-engine designs. Cooper Cars used Vanwall's canted-shock trick on their front suspension, resulting in the season's winning car, giving Jack Brabham the first of his 3 world championships.

Colin Chapman, realizing he had stumbled onto something of great value, designed his new Lotus F1 cars with 45* canted shocks rear, and inboard (unsprung weight) canted shocks front. He found a remarkable young Scottish driver who could handle the increased lateral loads and higher speed adhesion, and dominated the 1960s with Jimmy Clark in the Lotus F-1 cars.

I tried to add a string of supporting photos to this post, but my junky computer will not allow me to add anything at this time. I swear I will frisbee this thing off a far wall someday. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:47 am 

My ultimate dream car racer was a 1940 Gendron Pioneer Roadster. Top speed about 6 MPH on level sidewalk, ????? Downhill.

Note the streamlined aero wheel covers like your Vanwall Colin. :P

Attachments:
Gendron Pioneer Roadster 1940.jpg
Gendron Pioneer Roadster 1940.jpg [ 141.31 KiB | Viewed 1713 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:20 pm 

:shock: 6mph in that thing would terrify me! :lol: