Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:44 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:30 pm 

Here is a pretty neat vintage video of Carol Shelby's early racing program development teaming up with Ford and eventually leading up to the infamous Ford vs. Ferrari story. It includes early footage of Pete Brock, Dan Gurney and Ken Miles racing the early versions of the Cobra, Mustang GT350 and Ford GT.

Good stuff!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/classic ... d=msedgdhp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:37 pm 

Good flick. I'd not seen that one before.

The early-to late 1960s were my heyday in motorsports. I owned several sports cars and motorcycles, and lived close enough to Watkins Glen to make most of the road races there whenever I could afford it ($8 for admission and a Pit Pass).
I witnessed the first-ever contest btwn the 1963 split-window Sting Ray (two words), the new 289 Cobra roadster (Bob Johnson driving) and the screaming 1962/63 Ferrari GTO. I met, shook hands with and got autographs from all the top F-1 racers, but I never met Pete Brock in person. The summer of 1966 (when Ford finally beat Ferrari at LeMans) was my graduation year and then I became busy with another life, another world. The next time I had time to look back at them, the cars had huge overhead wings, radios, and 6 wheels.

There is a permanent place in my heart for the cars and drivers of the '50s-'60s era, and part of me still lives there. They were the center of my universe for some very formative years, and if I had a time machine, that's where you'd have to look for me. I would love to own a ratty old real 289 Cobra, even tho my present Z would beat it in nearly every category. Something magic about them, even today.

Netflix still shows "24 Hour War", the story of the Ford-Ferrari battle for world dominance at LeMans. Highly recommended. And "A Life of Speed" remains available, the story of World Champion Juan Manuel Fangio during his incredible career.

Thanks for this excellent flick, John. :thumbs_up: