Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:36 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Today
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:29 am 

Tuesday, 23 Jan; 50*F and rain washing the salt off the roads! You can bet I'll start the Z today and if it stops raining soon enough, I'll take it out for a spin. If it gets nice enough, anyone want to try the Hevn'y donuts later?

Post subject: Re: Today
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:51 pm 

Frank. I thought you didn't like donuts. Or was that just coffee? I forget. Just be careful with what you eat if you still want to fit into those thongs. Eeek! Lol. :twisted: :shock: :) :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:33 pm 

My TT came out of the garage Sunday but never got out of the driveway . . . . . hope it didn't think I was teasing it. :P

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:37 am 

Frank T,

Baby gets no more than an occasional start and short run this time of year. She is in the garage snuggly covered and all but comprehensive, fire and theft, on hold. Her legal limit is the length of the driveway.

The donut run sounds like a great idea. Subject to Subaru acceptance!

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:00 pm 

More snow, ice and SALT today. BLAGH!!!

I'd be up for a casual meeting at the "Donut" on RT 34 in Derby this Saturday, February 10th at around 10AM(?) if anyone wants to meet me there just to shake off some of these winter blues. Z cars not necessary :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:19 pm 

Don't wait for me!
I would do that but I'm packing for a road trip to Parris Island, SC. My Senior Drill Instructor has died and I'm going there to attend his funeral and visit my old bootcamp. He was the US Marine who made me a US Marine and we kept in close touch for 51 years, even after we both retired from the Corps. In many ways he was more of an influence on my adult life than my own family was. It's only right that I see him to rest and pay my respects. On the way back I will stop in NC to see my old Officer in Charge and my old Commanding Officer, then visit Chesty Puller's grave in Christchurch VA and tour the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico.

I plan to be back briefly the week of the 22nd while my kid returns home for my birthday, then drive her back to Canada and come home before the end of the month.

After that I would be proud to meet you there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:45 pm 

Frank. My respects and Semper Fi. Safe travels and an early Ooh rah, junior. Lol.

Howie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:09 pm 

Thanks buddy. Semper Fi.
You were 3rd Herd, right? I'll take a picture of the barracks for you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:55 am 

Sorry to hear about your DS passing. Sounds like you are making most of your journey.

Enjoy and safe travels. :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:51 pm 

Thanks John.
D.I. Drill Instructor.
Drill Sergeants are army.
Zee you when I get back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Thanks buddy. Semper Fi.
You were 3rd Herd, right? I'll take a picture of the barracks for you.

Platoon 241 (1967). The old WOODEN barracks. Don't know if they're still upright. :?: :wink: 8) :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 pm 

:shock: Holy crow! Irv just told me he was Plt 243 and I was 2ndBn too. You and I went thru during the same summer; who were your DIs? Maybe I knew some of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:15 pm 

M. Fazio (New Yorker) /SDI, S.Downes /ADI and H. Isbell /ADI (extreme Wack-O). :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:39 pm 

I had 4 hats. SDI SSgt Anderson (SgtMaj USMC Ret) who I'm burying next week, JDIs SSgt Massey (MSgt USMC Ret), SSgt Larson & Sgt Powell, whereabouts unknown. Larson got relieved for killing some worm in a platoon before mine and was replaced by Massey, so we only had 3 hats at a time. The push for basic Marines was so urgent in 1967, most 2ndBn DIs were running two platoons simultaneously. One would hand over command of our Yellow Flag platoon to the other, then run to a Red Flag platoon to help them there. They were literally running two platoons (140 worms) simultaneously for weeks on end.

I located and spoke with Top Massey and told him his old buddy was dead and explained the funeral arrangements, but he cannot leave his 80 year old wife and travel cross-country to attend. I suspect I might be the only living member of my platoon in attendance, altho I also suspect there will be members of many other platoons there; Andy served 11 years on PI and pushed 17 platoons to graduation during Vietnam. After graduating us he pulled a tour in Nam as Company Gunny with 2/4, then returned as a GySgt to become SNCOIC of Motivation Platoon when I went thru DI school. He was Marine Barracks Rota Spain 1st Shirt, then returned to PISC to service as 2nBn SgtMaj, then RTR SgtMaj, and then Depot SgtMaj, consecutively. His twilight tour was as SgtMaj for VMGR252 at Cherry Point, his first and only brush with the airwing.

After 30 years in the Corps he went on to retire again as a cop outside PISC. We stayed in touch with each other throughout my career and after we both retired. He bought a big motorhome after his 3rd retirement and drove the whole country, stopping by to see me here two years ago (he was raised in CT). I took him to the Springfield Armory Museum in Mass and he was like a kid in a candy store. When he bought the motorhome he proudly announced, "I've seen everybody else's country and now, by Gawd, I'm going to see my own".

Here, this is for you: https://youtu.be/1fB7SpnpcQg

It's taken mostly from the 1stBn (Twilight Zone) grinder but you can see the backs of 2nd Bn (Dodge City) barracks in many shots. The WWII wooden barracks along Panama and Reykjavik streets are all gone today, except maybe the Receiving barracks, but I will have to recon that next week to confirm. This was shot in 1967 but you can tell it was late in the year because the PT ropes have knots in them; they were slick when I arrived and the impossible PRT became the easier PFT on my watch (you're welcome). The film is a little grainy but I swear I could see sand fleas in some worms' eyes and ears. I can still hear those steam pipes banging in the night when I sleep.

While I was there in the summer of '67 they were building new barracks for First Bat, and the steam piledrivers were sinking steel anchor beams into the deck all summer long. It was *just* off 120-beat per minute quick time cadence, which drove everyone crazy trying to listen to correct cadence over the louder beat of the pile drivers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 am 

The grainy parade field shots bring back just as grainy memories. :wink: :shock: Yeah... my plt only had 3 hats. You were in the higher class neighborhood for CT. recruits. We New Yorkers were constantly harassed for hiding "the blackjacks, guns and knives" that they knew all of us had. :roll: What was your platoon number?

Have a safe trip.