Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:19 am 

Our member Burton Brown holds the world land speed record for an S-30 car (173mph in a 240Z) and is a yearly contender at Bonneville, hoping to be the first to push an S30 to 200mph. Burt also runs a streamliner and belongs to the 300mph club and is pushing for his 400mph membership.

He reports that a mining company has harvested a lot of potash from the dry lake bed, which has noticeably effected the condition of the salt. By contract, the miners are required to replace the salt they take after the mining process, but that has never happened. Burt reports the salt is now dangerously thin and hard to drive on above 200mph. (I seem to faintly recall a similar complaint about Bonneville during the 1970s?)

Here's Burt being interviewed in this recent video. Groups of LSR racers gathered on the salt to meet the press and make this problem mainstream news. I have started the half-hour three-subject video at the point where the pertinent part begins (I was unable to cut out the final 10 minutes of the video, which is all commercials):

https://youtu.be/Ylj5LmX4pRw?t=19m23s

(All references to "BLM" mean Bureau of Land Management, lest you get it confused with any radical groups currently in the news).

Frank