Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Sweet Memories
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:07 am 

Some of you fellow "old timers" may appreciate this. :lol: I dug this old photo out of my archives. It is a picture of me back in 1967 sitting in a 1958 Fiat Abarth "double bubble" which was graciously "loaned to me" for that summer. I became close friends with a shop teacher in my high school that was a sports car buff. He gave me the car to work on for the summer as it needed a new water pump and other minor work. I also got to drive his Triumph Herald, Mini Cooper S and a Lotus Elan. This was a young man's "Dream Come True". :D

Attachments:
File comment: Happy Days!
01-02-2011 11;14;46AM.JPG
01-02-2011 11;14;46AM.JPG [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 3709 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sweet Memories
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:51 am 

That Double-Bubble is worth some serious cash today, John! WHEW!!!

Our member Irving Rich owns one of the very few actual Pininfarina 124 Spyders (upgraded 124 Fiat) and he asked me to drive it to a garage for him here in the state. When I got there I was floored that they had about a half-dozen Double Bubbles parked side by side in the garage, each waiting for the lone mechanic to find time to rescue it before the Tinworm ate it or the mechanic died. I have pictures of them somewhere in my computer, but the website isn't allowing me to upload any pictures today. Again. Still. :evil:

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:25 pm 

Don't give up. I'd love to see those pictures.

If I recall, the double bubble I was in was an aluminum bodied car. Very light weight. It was raced early in it's life and had a very stiff suspension, Koni shockes, etc.

Missed you at the meeting Wendesday nite.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:59 pm 

Sorry John, I give up hope of ever being able to post pictures on here again. The name of the place is Fun Imported Auto & Toys (FIAT) in Vernon. Danny Odonnel is the owner and washes all the bottles there.

Here's the website; http://www.funimported.com/

I can't recall if there were 5 or 7 Double Bubbles in there and I can't get my pictures on here. Heck, one of them might be your buddy's car. They're mostly torn down to the shells, but all the parts are there to reassemble them if you were inclined to do that. You could just cruise in there someday (143 Tunnel Rd, 06066) with your camera. It has a tricky driveway which makes you think you've missed the place; he's down in a depression and hard to see from the road. Maybe you should call first and make sure Danny will be there when you are. He has about 50-60 Fiat 124s laying around, too, if you're into those.

i planned on the meeting all day, but in the final hour when I should have left everything fell apart at once. :cry: Sometimes you can plan your life but you can't live your plan.