Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:33 am 

Well CT is continuing to siphon off every last dollar it can from its residences. I just got my town property tax bill and my old '71 Z taxes have jumped from under $20/year to over $400/year! :shock:

In checking with my town's assessors office I found out the following:
1) Cities are now using NADA assessments on older cars.
2) Assessments are now capped at 37 mills for vehicles regardless of the town mill rate.
3) Special exemptions are possible if your vehicle can be certified that it is kept original for historic value. This would require some sort of certification from car dealer. :?
4) Classic car plates (not vanity plates) can reduce tax. :?

Since I don't have classic car plates, I have been trying to navigate the CT DMV websites for online forms to aquire these plates. I can't seem to find the right forms and the phone numbers and email addresses DMV provides are not being answered at this time or the emails cannot be accessed. :twisted:

Anybody else get hammered by the state?

Anybody have recomendations as to how to get a certificate of original manufacture letter or classic car plate?

Needless to say I'm pissed right now. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:39 pm 

If you see a legislator or our Governor be sure to thank them.
I was unaware they removed the exclusion from older "classic" cars . . . . here in Somers I just got my bill and it went from $11.69 :shock: to $12.11 :mrgreen: The assessed value of my 75 is 500.00 same as it was before the tax changes.

I know there were tax errors caused by the states new DMV software . . . . be sure and check that that isn't the cause. :wink:

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:49 am 

Quick update :roll:
I was able to obtain a form from my town assessors office which requires a dealer or mechanic to certify the authentisity of my "classic car". I had a local mechanic friend sign it and I brought the signed form back to the assessors office where they finally adjusted my 71 240Z assessment back to the $500 limit which results in a personal property tax of about $18.

I'm just passing this along to other club members in case anyone else runs into this situation.

My sugggestion would be to get classic car plates or go through this exercise if your old car assessment was increased this year.

I'm happier now. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:26 pm 

For some reason mine didn't change.
The danger of that is, in the event of a collision, my insurance company would surely argue that my car was worth only $500.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:50 pm 

A few yearz back at one of our meetz (possibly Miller Nissan) someone told us about a form (can't recall if it waz DMV or your town) that, if your ride waz 25 yrs old or more, the taxable value caps at $500. I just paid less than $14 for 2016.
Frank, Hagerty has an agreed upon value option; lil red iz in for $10k.
Al

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:52 am 

That member was Don Mei, whose business it is to figure out how to save people money. The law was new and Don got the word to us less than 30 days after it had gone into effect.
Right Al, but I'm counting on any accident being someone else's fault, and HIS insurance company will surely wave my tax pymnt over his head and demand my car was worth only $500. It's an unscrupulous world.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:40 am 

I'm still relatively new to this state, but I have to say that the property tax rates are crazy compared to my old home state of Arkansas. I used to pay about $80/year for my 2005 350Z. Newington charged me about 3 times that this year. Still not as bad as my 2015 STI, though. That car is almost $1000 to own.

I think what's even more frustrating to me is that, unlike Arkansas, CT only gives you 30 days to pay your $1200 tax bill. Arkansas gave you 6 months. :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:01 pm 

Bump for more information about this. Going to register my car this week and want to limit my property tax burden. Paying the sales tax on a nice Z is already going to be painful enough.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:24 am 

It's for classic cars, Dave, 20 yrs old or more. Your beautiful '71 will qualify, no problem.
Ask your town tax clerk for the form. If you can remember "HLS30-27581" and your mileage, you can fill it out right there at the counter. Make a copy for your records, to prove you did it.
This can save you hundreds of dollars each year on Z taxes, but your car must be a 1996 or older to qualify (if I understand the law correctly).

Here's a little clip to make y'all feel better about living here:

COMBINED SALES AND INCOME TAX LEADERS

The Tax Foundation interprets individual tax burden by what taxpayers actually spend in local and state taxes, rather than report these expenses from the state revenue perspective used by the Census Bureau. Its State and Local Tax Burden Rankings study reported that Americans paid an average rate of 9.9 percent in state and local taxes in 2010. According to the foundation, the five highest state-local tax states were:

1. New York 12.8 %
2. New Jersey 12.4%
3. Connecticut 12.3%
4. California 11.2%
5. Wisconsin 11.1%

The same 3 states have ranked as the top three consistently since 2005, according to the foundation. "Lots of people want to relocate for lifestyle issues," says Molony. "Some seek a nicer climate. If all things are equal between climate choices, the tax situation becomes an area worth exploring."
Get every deduction you deserve!

Frank