Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:03 pm 

Don't laugh, but I think this might be my old car, now for sale in Holland:

http://www.hofman.nl/auto/13267/Austin+ ... BN1+100-4/

You've all heard me talk ad nauseam about owning 4 AH-100s when I was younger, and that my final one had a Corvette engine in it. I sold that car in NC in 1973 and I think this might be it. I've identified at least 10 unique features about my car which are present on this one:

1. My engine was a 1957 Corvette 283 but bored out to 301 c/i (which this car has, but I don't think this guy knows it's been bored out);
2. My engine had an aftermarket 3/4 Duntov cam (which this one also has);
3. My gearbox was a 4-spd Muncie (which this one is);
4. My differential was the stock AH unit (which this appears to be);
5. My exhaust dumped directly onto the leading edge of the rear tires ( which this car does, also. Altho this car has better exhaust pipes than mine did, the cherry bomb glass pack mufflers are the same);
6. My hood was louvered and held down by a single leather strap with two buckles (which this car also has);
7. My interior was missing the tunnel cover laundry (which this car is also missing);
8. Because my car had a Tarantua Street Torker (or Sweeper?) intake manifold, which turned the 4Bbl sideways about 18*, I had to use a throttle CABLE instead of a throttle linkage (which this car also uses, despite the absence of the old manifold. He could have used the standard linkage but "my" cable was already installed);
9. My car had a funky thick-wood-rimmed, sun-bleached steering wheel with no center cap (which this car seems to still have!);
10. My horn was a tiny "pin" button deep inside the steering wheel center (which I can see on this car!).

There are a few differences btwn my old car and this one:

1. To pass inspection my car had a JC Whitney large plastic button mounted on the side of the steering wheel shaft which I could hit with my knee or hand to beep the horn. I don't see that on this car, altho there is a toggle switch in the middle of the dash which might replace that;
2. I had removed both bumpers from my car (but the anchor points were still there);
3. My car had twin chrome teardrop racing mirrors;
4. My hood lifted completely off, so in addition to the strap I had a hold down pin in each corner (but the hinges were still on the car);
5. My car was deep metal flake blue; this one is British Racing Green;
6. My car had solid steel wheels because the weight and torque of the V8 made eggs of the four original AH spoke wheels;
7. My car had a different (beer barrel) shifter and knob than this has.

This guy wants about $33,000 for this car today. I think I sold it for less than $2000 back in 1973. I made it run the 1/4 mile in a little over 14 seconds but I never made it turn or stop very well, due to the weight of the V8.

Healey Hundreds always suffered from extreme cockpit heat, even with the original 2.5L 4 cylinder OHV engine. With the Corvette the heat was unbearable. After just 10 miles I was looking for an excuse to park it and let my feet cool off, even thru my boots.

I have written to this guy and asked if the car came to him via the USA. It would be sort of cool to own this car again, but I can think of so many other things to do with $33K. :roll:

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:34 pm 

Frank,
Any news on the Healey? That would be wonderful if that was your old ride, if it is... You got'er get 'er back!
I have sent a few down the road I would love to have back.
Some of them below, Austin Healey "Bugeye" # AN542323 right hand drive.
It still might be in CT somewhere, thought I saw it a number of years ago at a British Car Show in Granby, recognize the little guy? Some of the others that went down the road, TR3 another "Bugeye" race car, Porsche...
Colin
the older one

Attachments:
sprite334 copy.jpg
sprite334 copy.jpg [ 472.33 KiB | Viewed 4472 times ]
Colin's-TR-3-01# copy.jpg
Colin's-TR-3-01# copy.jpg [ 147.03 KiB | Viewed 4472 times ]
Down the road-9-02-01.jpg
Down the road-9-02-01.jpg [ 260.59 KiB | Viewed 4472 times ]
goodbye 3.jpg
goodbye 3.jpg [ 631.7 KiB | Viewed 4472 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:00 pm 

Haha! Neither of you guys has changed a bit! I can still hear the fuel pumps clicking each time I look at those cars.

No good news on the AH yet. Holland sent me a picture of the title and i've tried calling the previous owner, who told them he owned the car since the "late '70s" (he also claims to have built the modification himself). I sold mine in 1973. But his phone is NIS and I'm trying now to contact his old roommate to ask what he might know about the car or where to reach his buddy.
Holland has contacted me also, saying they want to offer the car at a local car show but would prefer to sell it to me if it's actually my old one. I praised their honorable intentions but if they can sell it there before I determine the title history, they should. I would have to tack on another $1-2000 bucks to get the car back here if I bought it, and with a V8 in it, it's really not worth all that much. It would be worth more if the V8 were replaced by an original A-90 2.5liter 4banger, even tho the numbers didn't match. It would just be a driver. Those are going for $35K here nowadays.
Back in the day, there were so many AH 100-4s it wasn't a sin to convert them to V8s. I bought them from btwn $50 - $300 in the 1960s. Today they are very costly regardless of condition if they're complete.
I've found a picture of me sitting in my first 100-4 during my first hour of ownership. If I can figure out how to make it stick on here, I'll share it. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:34 am 

Frank,
You would have two 2 million dollar cars if that was the one! Another one I sent down the road, literally, traded it in at Bob Sharp's place in Wilton 1976. The '71 510 was a daily driver, rally, autocross car...another one that should have been put in the "barn". You could really see down the road at night with those lights, Marchal's on the roof and high beams, Lucas Flame Thrower on the front bumper.
Colin
the older one

Attachments:
510 RALLY.jpg
510 RALLY.jpg [ 1.13 MiB | Viewed 4456 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:44 am 

I don't zee a rollbar in that 510.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:36 pm 

Rollbar! "We don't need no stinking rollbars!"
Although did see a couple of roll overs in that Series, not to mention it would take out some lighting.
Only one "off" into a ditch, drove out, all OK.
Colin
the older one

Attachments:
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5692.JPG [ 804.29 KiB | Viewed 4451 times ]