Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: No visa for my daughter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:36 pm 

Hello Friends,

this is an unusual topic on our site, but I'm glad about every advice in our desperate situation.
As most of you know my daughter Laura has been as an au pair girl in Stamford, CT
from 11/2013 through 05/2015. In that time she ran a chance to become student
at Norwalk Community College. In the meantime she has a place to study at this Community
College. The study will start beginning september. The first tutorials are already paid.
Two weeks ago Laura came back to Germany after two years. I was glad to put my arm around her
after this long period of time. Laura came back not only to see her family, she also came back to
apply for her visa (the so called F-1 visa) for foreign students in the US at the american consulate in
Frankfurt. There - and unexpectedly - her visa application was denied. They told her that they would believe
Laura would work illegally in the US and would not intend to return to Germany after graduation.
She would have to demonstrate that her circumstances have changed essentially since the first application.
Something we had to work on considering our shortage of time. We changed her place of living (thanks to a member of this club!), specified the financial sponsoring,
displayed affidavits etc. etc. and reported for a second time at the consulate in Frankfurt after we paid to get another appointment.
(BTW: the fee for an appointment is as expensive as two gauges for a 1971 240 Z :D)
Today Laura got her second refusal. This is devastating for a 21 year old girl that stands right at the beginning
of her professional education. Of course and also unfortunately we did not have a "plan b". Why? We did not
calculate on that.
The sequel is far reaching. With those visa refusals Laura is no more allowed to get to the US not even as a tourist…
till her dying day (this is not a joke!). The ESTA procedure has no longer validity for her.
She still has her personal belongings in Stamford at her former host family's home. She can't fetch it anymore.
But this is not important.
More important are the allegedly reasons for all that: The collage is located in the same state where her former host family lives (CT) - red card.
She has been an au pair girl and wants to study immediately after her time with the host family - second red card.
Third red card - we got it but do not ask why!
The consulate is profoundly confident that Laura will stay and work illegally in the United States.
They did not want to see any documents. They passed judgement on her before the girl got a chance to breathe.
After different talks it's certain now that another attempt to apply a student visa is completely pointless.
We tried to get contact to the US embassy in Berlin. They gave us a number of a public affairs manager
at the Frankfurt US consulate. We will speak to him tomorrow - calmly of course - even if it's a long shot.
Laura is no individual case. An american attorney said today: the diplomatic relations between GER and USA
are disturbed (NSA etc.). The consulates are "more severe" than ever before.
We don't know if there is still a little chance. But if anyone of you can handout advice we would be glad and thankful.
Sorry for the novel!

Thor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:12 pm 

:cry: This is a real mess. This didn't seem like a possibility when Laura left here to return briefly to Germany to get her work visa changed to a student visa. She has made many American friends during the past 2 years and learned much about the USA. She carefully selected her college preferences and choZe to study psychology. Her intent is to graduate here and take her education and American experiences back to Germany to work there. Considering all the U.S. military personnel and their dependents stationed in Germany, Laura's knowledge of America and excellent English would be valuable assets there.
If anyone has any INS or ICE background, maybe they can give some information or advice which would help her return here for college? She has already paid her tuition and been accepted for the fall semester, but now she is told she cannot even return here to visit? :?

Frank

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:56 pm 

Thor,
I have emailed U.S. Congresswoman Elizabeth Esty and forwarded your post with a request for suggestions or advice. Hopefully she will respond quickly but nothing in government works quickly. I will keep you informed of anything I hear.

Good luck,
Alan Dempsey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:02 am 

:wink: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:39 pm 

Thanks Alan! We are praying. In the meantime I'm in contact to the Frankfurt consulate.
That's difficult but the US embassy in Berlin helped me. They asked me to send a mail. I did so. Hopefully they will answer on monday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:13 am 

Sorry to hear that repeated efforts have not been successful. Government agencies here in the U.S. (everywhere?) do not operate efficiently or with common sense.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:16 am 

Happy to learn that this has been resolved and Laura is on a plane enroute to JFK as we speak. :mrgreen: :thumbs_up:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:33 pm 

We've got a lot of assistance.
Thanks to anyone!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:59 pm 

We are family.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:49 pm 

I'm terribly sorry to hear this, Thor. Frank told me about this at today's meet and I was shocked to hear it as I've not been on the forum enough to see your post on time. Unfortunately I don't have any good advice to offer. Immigration issues everywhere are severe and I feel terrible for what so many foreigners have to go through -- most Americans are completely unfamiliar of such treatment although it's happening in our country every day.

Let me know if there's any way I can help out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:50 pm 

Illegals get great benefits and people trying to do things by the laws are screwed.
Say what you want about Trump, his hard line on immigration reform is just what this country needs.