Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:57 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:24 am 

Dear Club Members,

Please consider making a tax-deductible donation to Colinslaw.org between now and the end of the year. Colinslaw.org is a Not-for-profit organization that Robin Foote established after the tragic death of his son Colin in 2010. The organization focuses on traffic safety and education. The Trustees of this organization are willing to match your donations up to a total of $5,000.

How the money will be used: 100% of your donation will go toward the costs of purchasing and maintaining a parcel of land in Charlestown, RI, which will be used as a public park in Colin’s memory. None of your donation will go towards administrative costs of the organization, which by the way are extremely small. The current owner of the parcel is willing to sell it to Colinslaw.org for a price that is substantially below market ($40,000). So far family and trustee donations are just over $25,000 so we need to raise additional funds to acquire the property!

The Vision: The park will be open to the public and preserved as natural open space with benches throughout. This acre parcel has beautiful water views and is an idyllic spot for a public reflection space and memorial park. In time, it is our hope to transform this tranquil space into an opportunity for not only peaceful contemplation, but also a learning center to further educate the public on the importance of traffic safety.

Donations are tax-deductible: Colinslaw.org is registered with the IRS as 501c3 organization, which means that donations can be deducted on your tax return. Within a couple weeks of your gift, you will receive an acknowledgement letter that you can use as support for your tax deduction.

What Colinslaw.org does: The most notable achievement has been the passing of a RI law that requires driving retraining and community service for 4 or more moving violations within a period of 18 months. Since “Colin’s Law” law was passed, 198 individuals have completed driver retraining. Of those 198 violators, only two have been charged again! In addition to monitoring the results of the law, Colinslaw.org also promotes safer roads through the use of new technologies. To this end, the organization has worked with the Town of Charlestown to install two red-light cameras at dangerous intersections on Route 1 (one of which is where Colin was killed).

How to donate:
Simply send a check to:
Colinslaw.org
143 Hamilton Ave
Jamestown, RI 02835

Attachments:
COLIN'S LOT AERIAL.jpg
COLIN'S LOT AERIAL.jpg [ 258.12 KiB | Viewed 5262 times ]
COLIN BILLBOARD ON LOT.jpg
COLIN BILLBOARD ON LOT.jpg [ 323.73 KiB | Viewed 5262 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:04 am 
Site Admin

What a wonderful tribute!

Many thanks to everyone at Colinslaw.org who have worked so tirelessly on this and other outstanding and successful initiatives.

Colin was a beloved member of our club and I feel it our responsibility to support this organization in its efforts to bring about positive changes in the aftermath of such a tragic and senseless loss.

I will be making a donation to support the park and I hope many more club members will do so as well.

- Jim

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:57 pm 

Jim - I want to thank you for supporting our funding effort to acquire this magnificent Ocean-view acre in Charlestown. The CTZCC has been a very special community that has already given so much to me personally, my wife, Maryannn and son Christopher. We will never forget and always treasure the incredible heartfelt words and sentiments expressed by so many of the members about Colin in our darkest days after Colin's death. We are grateful for everything that everyone has done and especially to the BOD and the many members who had such an impact on Colin. He truly loved being involved in the CTZCC and Z cars were a big part of his young life. I hope one day we will have a cruise to Colin's Memorial Park to enjoy the ocean vista and comraderie of the membership gathering.

Thanks again for everything and may all members have a Mary Christmas and special holiday season with their families. Robin

First Owned - New 72' GREEN 240Z
2nd Owned - Used BLUE 74' 260Z

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:39 am 

How you doing this year Robin? How is the park coming along? Is there going to be any Volunteer work needed for this? For those that don't have the money they would like to donate, but have able hands. shovels, rakes, hammers, chainsaws, ideas.....whatever it takes. For Collin, miss ya Bud.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:47 pm 

Paul,

Thanks so much for inquiring about the progress on the Memorial Park for Colin. We just made the purchase 2 weeks ago and one of our Trustees has provided me with the name and contact information of a Landscape Architect in nearby Mystic, CT who may be willing to do some preliminary design ideas on a pro bono basis. I have forwarded him some earlier engineering including a topo map of the land and hope that we might get some preliminary plans within the next 30 days. Your offer to help with some physical work is greatly appreciated and I will be certain to keep you and the other members informed as our plans progress. we may just have a little clearing party as a local landscape service here in Jamestown has offered to provide some equipment and manpower as well once the season slows a bit for him.

While this is not a huge piece of property, I'm hoping that we might be able to get some clearing done soon to see what kind of ocean view we might get and where an elevated viewing platform might be constructed. I haven't been on the top of the land for a number of years and just hope that the trees across the way haven't grown much taller which might compromise the view as I remember it. The fact that there is some 40 +/- acres that directly abut the property to the rear which is owned as common but preserved "open space" by an adjoining 5+ acre residential development, gives me some hope that, over time, we may be able to tie into this to create some walking trails throughout the entire property. I know there is a kettle hole pond way out in the back of this adjoining property which Colin and I used to occasionally walk to and do some target practicing nearby. There is much to ponder and plan and I want to make sure that before we begin much of any work, that we have considered all the possibilities and ideas for the park.

Thanks again and please stay tuned. I look forward to seeing you at one of the club events this summer.

Best,

Robin

First Owned - New 72' GREEN 240Z
2nd Owned - Used BLUE 74' 260Z

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:06 pm 

Great to hear this is moving forward.

1976 Fairlady Z