Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Mission Accomplished!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:30 am 

this was my post from Facebook.

Well as I lay here icing my bad knee I will tell you guys about my race day experience.

William Boyne and Elizabeth Schneider dropped me around 5:30am. I was immediately in line with other runners walking to the buses. Every 10ft they had people instructing us where to go. Got on the bus and was off to my start village.

Ok after going through security and everything I was finally at the green start village. It was around 6:15am at that time. Now I had to wait nearly 5 hours for my race to begin. A bunch of free stuff in the start village. I had 2 bagels, a power bar, grabbed a few gatorades, a Gatorade endurance pack, a cup of coffee, and a Dunkin Donuts beanie. Using a shirt I brought I used that to protect my face from the wind. It was very very cold. No worries about bathrooms because there was like over 100 portapottys.

Ok now it's 10:15 and my corral opens. Almost ready to go. Did my stretches and then headed to my corral.

Now begins the wait until we manage to reach the official start.

I reach the official start which was a little anticlimactic. Lol

Off the bat I saw a NYRR pace setter who was set at 5hr 45min. So I decided to pace her. I later learned her name was Jen. Amazing nice woman. We talked most of the way until I couldn't keep up due to injury and cramping.

Ok at around 5 miles my sore knee began hurting bad. But of course I continued to push on. Got to about 10 miles and had to stop and do a fast walk. Told Jen I would catch back up. And I did. She was so great helping me out. Turns out she is also a guide for runners like me with disabilities. I told her about my vision and she was so cool about it. At one point at a Gatorade/water station I missed the Gatorade and she ran back and got one for me. So awesome. Let me also say the wind was INSANE!!!. My time as good as it was for me could have been much faster even with a bum knee.

Well just before I got into Manhattan I got a wall and just couldn't get going. Then the crowds just got me pumped and I popped a energy chew and was running along the crowds giving everyone five. I felt like the Ultimate Warrior running up to the ring. An amazing experience. My knee continued to hurt and even before the 12th mile my calves started cramping and my right quad cramped up too. I had been using my right light more to help keep pressure off my knee. That was working until my right leg got pissed off. I managed to keep catching up to Jen like 4 times. The last time I caught up was after 14 miles. At this point this was the most miles I ever ran. I wasn't able to get past that due to life and injury during training. So that was a huge achievement for me. Well I'll fast forward to just before mile 18 where nature began to call. I managed to locate the portapottys. Let's just say stopping and then getting back up off the toilet seat was not fun. Lol now I continue on the best I can. At this point I'm walking and then running in short bursts . I would run until my knee pain became to harsh. I'm basically already doing damage to my knee. Anybody else might have stopped or went to the medic but nope not me. I'm finishing this race. The best feeling during the later part of the race was reaching mile 20. Only 6.2 to go!! Which I'm sorry ladies was very much equal to giving birth. I continued on. Running then walking etc etc. the cheering helped a lot. Had my name on my shirt so I think I heard over 100 people easily cheer for me. Probably a lot more. It seemed like every mile someone was telling me to keep it up. So I get by mile 22 and got excited. Next thing I know I must have not noticed mile 23 because the next I know I'm crossing mile 24. I'm in Central Park. The end is near. I summon up more running despite my pains. Everything hurt from my back down. One of the really great moment later was the last 1/2 mile I would say. I decided I wanted to finish strong and would run the latest bit of the race. This began by me pumping up the crowd Warrior style. I came around the corner and ran up close to the crowd who were surprised because they hadn't had their hands out but when I ran over I heard "yeah that's it Mike!!" I slapped a bunch of people five and was off to finish. Best feeling in the world was crossing the finish line.

Now I had pictures taken, I got my medal, a warming plastic sheet, recovery bag, and then I got my fleece poncho. Now time to find Bill and Liz.

Well after some time we found each other. While waiting I talked to a very nice Indian woman. Very friendly people all around.

So to sum it up. The whole experience was unbelievable and very well organized. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Sign highlights - "farting is like turbo"

"If marathons were easy they would be your mom"

"Thanks for running the marathon so we could day drink"

"4% of marathoners poop themselves during the race. Will you be one of them?"

Well thank you sooooo much to all of you who have shown your support. I'm still amazed that I did it and the journey is over. This all would not be possible without some truly great friends and a truly amazing wife Kelly Colangelo Tubiak. I love you all and will be going on my medal show off your. A special thanks to my mom for being my inspiration in everything I do. Now it's time to recover!

Attachments:
10355718_10205470749034880_7034293610671248764_n.jpg
10355718_10205470749034880_7034293610671248764_n.jpg [ 78.01 KiB | Viewed 5565 times ]
1653312_10205460068247867_4081936983972520995_n.jpg
1653312_10205460068247867_4081936983972520995_n.jpg [ 84.09 KiB | Viewed 5565 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:48 am 

:thumbs_up: Congrats Mike well done.

75' - 280Z - HLS30203249 - #304 Gold Metallic (stockish)
96' - 300zx TT - JN1CZ24d3TX960293 - Black on Black (enhanced)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:55 am 

Mike,

I read your marathon post, word for word, not stopping for a sip of my coffee, and must offer you sincere congratulations on your accomplishment. Display your medals proudly where all can see. You have done yourself proud!

In the immortal words of Rudyard Kipling...

By the livin' gawd that made you,
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

What a wonderful inspiration you are, Mike.

Congratulations on achieving and perhaps even surpassing everything you set out to accomplish!

- Jim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:51 am 

Congrats buddy. I'll be running the Manchester Road Race on Thanksgiving and will pull this from my mind to serve as extra motivation. Keep on keepin' on!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:19 pm 

Great job Mike and quite an accomplishment!