Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:10 pm 

Whenever I stumble across anything worth our collective attention, I share it here. I think this rates right up at the top of my list.

About 5 years ago, Bob Sharp sponsored us into the fantastic Malcolm Pray classic automobile museum in New York State. We spent a day there and were awed by everything we saw.

One of the highlights of the day was a group presentation by DRIVE IN CONTROL of Massachusetts, who told us about their driver training program. We had heard Bob rave about these guys at several previous meetings. He strongly encouraged any of us with driving-aged kids to enroll them in an IN CONTROL survival course as soon as possible. So by the time we sat down at Malcolm Pray's museum and heard the presentation, we were already excited about these guys.

Their presentation was timed perfectly for me, since my kid was becoming driving age. For Christmas I gave a gift certificate for a one-day survival training course. That was in addition to the common, garden-variety driving schools kids take today. Those common schools strive to teach kids how to maintain control of their cars, but IN CONTROL taught hands-on experience of what to do when they've LOST it, and how to regain it.

Less than two years later, my kid was driving our SUV (full of family members) thru the snow/ice covered mountains of Vermont, surrounded by other traffic. As they crested a mountaintop, strong gusting crosswinds blew everybody out of control. Because my kid immediately reacted exactly how IN CONTROL taught, our family was safe. It seems nobody else knew what to do. That single incident made the cost of the gift certificate seem very small. It was an excellent investment. Our vehicle touched nobody, and remained pointed in the right direction. We also get a significant discount on our car insurance because our kid successfully passed this course. When you're paying for a first-year teenaged driver, any course which lowers your insurance rate by $200 has already paid for itself.

DRIVE IN CONTROL is known throughout Massachusetts and is heavily used by schools, delivery companies, race drivers, police departments and other driving schools. They're very successful, but more importantly, they've probably saved hundreds of lives in collisions which HAVEN'T happened because drivers knew what NOT to do in emergencies. It's reassuring now to watch my kid automatically "prepare to drive" before the car even leaves the driveway. This course instills a mental checklist of what to do before you even turn the key.

Now, the good news ~ In Control wants to expand into Connecticut. (If you've ever watched teenaged drivers on CT roads, you already know there's an urgent need for these people to teach here). If you have any young drivers in your family, you WANT them to take this course.

All of this brings me to this point ~ expanding into CT isn't free. IN CONTROL is a not-for-profit agency which is dedicated to saving lives, and we can all now help them get down here by making a tax-deductible donation to their school.

Hey, you're gonna pay taxes anyway ~ you might as well pay them to the (very worthy) cause of your choice, instead of letting the 'government experts' tell you where your tax dollars will be spent. And remember ~ your whole family drives on these roads, so let's be as generous as we can.

Here's more background and instructions on how to help save lives:

Hello Again,

Five years ago you likely attended a presentation by In Control at the late Malcom Pray's Center for Excellence and Automotive Museum where we discussed crash prevention training and what we are doing to reduce the crash rate among new drivers. A lot has changed since we first met and I thought it might be a good time to reach out and reintroduce our program.

Most notably, we are now a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization operating in two states with a goal of expanding beyond New England as we attract more financial backing. As many of you pointed out, our program is very important and provides an invaluable service, but the business itself may not be the most intelligent financial investment.

We have spent the last few years as a non-profit establishing a mission to offer training and community engagement towards drastically reducing crash rates and changing our societal view towards driving safely. I had initially avoided reaching back out to your group as it has always been my desire to wait until we were in a position to offer training in the Greenwich area before asking for your help.

Recently, I spoke to one of you who attended our presentation and your suggestion to reconnect now made a lot of sense. First, our organization needs to be well funded to afford the expansion to CT and beyond. Second, a lot has changed in five years and there may be new connections and opportunities that were not discussed when we met previously.

As a result, I write you today with two requests:
Please consider a donation to The In Control Family Foundation (http://www.DriveInControl.org). You can donate online or send a check to our address below. Your donation will be used in our general fund and is tax deductible.
Consider sharing this note with a friend, associate, charitable foundation or anyone/organization you know that might help. We have surpassed 25,000 graduates to our program and are reaching many times that number annually through the various community engagement programs we offer. Your community should be focused on this important subject and as "car people" you definitely appreciate the importance of what we do.
Please feel free to call or write with any questions or suggestions. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

/s/
Dan Strollo
President / Executive Director
The In Control Family Foundation
http://www.DriveInControl.org

In Control Crash Prevention Training - Recognized as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit and the nation's first state certified closed course, hands-on crash prevention training program.

Did you catch us on Channel 5's Chronicle: http://youtu.be/w0V6S_zZuK8
Like us on Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/DriveInControl
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.Twitter.com/DriveInControl

Dan@DriveInControl.org
(978) 658-4144 office
(617) 306-6264 mobile
(978) 388-8443 fax
Training Locations Throughout New England
Corporate Office:
188 Main Street - Suite 202
Wilmington, MA 01887

Let's help get them down here! After all, they're just trying to save our lives!

Frank T