Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 pm 

So I am laid for a while. Yesterday while walking to my car I slipped on some ice and dislocated ankle and broke my fibula. Took a trip to the hospital in an ambulance. Three hours later they had reduced the dislocation and put it in a split. I need to go back in a week for surgery to repair the fibula.

In the picture you can see my foot pointing in the wrong direction.

Attachments:
20140217_161847.jpg
20140217_161847.jpg [ 2 MiB | Viewed 9114 times ]
20140217_185703.jpg
20140217_185703.jpg [ 2.63 MiB | Viewed 9114 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:17 pm 

Geez Adam, doesn't that hurt? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:29 pm 

I can't even described the pain I am in. I am so frustrated right now. Sunday I put in some good wrench time on the z. Now it will be a while before I can put it back together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:36 pm 

That's a seriously scary X-ray!!! Concentrate on getting yourself back together in good form - the car will still be there.

ZCON 2015 Gold Cup - Street Modified class

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm 

Well, I'll pray for ya, but if there's anything else you can think of that I (we) can do to help, please Sound Off.
Any time I see a really serious (is there another kind?) compound fracture, I envision having this happen in the desolate outback, and having to reset it without any real medical help or anesthesia. Maybe even having it happen to me, while I'm alone in the boonies. Military air crashes or combat can cause crazy injuries, and you are expected to do something to keep the victim alive and help him remain an effective combatant if possible. Can you imagine being in that much pain, immobilized, while a squad of VC are closing in on your Poz trying to shoot you?

If I crashed my dirt bike alone in the hills and broke either leg or foot, it would be a real character-builder to hobble or crawl 15 miles to help. In pain. Without anesthesia. With my bayonet clenched btwn my teeth and carrying my classic Bultaco on my back (of course). OooRahh!

How did you manage to break it that cleanly by just slipping on ice? It looks as if you would have needed a few NFL tacklers hitting you at high speed, to create that mess? Were friends/family nearby to help when it happened?

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:21 pm 

Frank k I couldn't imagine going through this without my parents (I was at their house) and the help from the EMTs. Just thinking of going to the hospital without the use of the am u lance scares me. They did a great job putting a splint on to immobilize the ankle.

You would think just slipping on ice couldn't do this much damage but what I think happened is I slipped on a very small patch and then my foot hit a dry patch of pavement but my rather large 270 pound frame kept going in the direction and the ankle dislocated and the fibula snapped under pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:48 pm 

More time to look for ways to upgrade the Z!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

Really sorry to hear about your condition, Adam.

All the best from all your friends at the club for a speedy and complete recovery!

- Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:55 pm 

Well Adam, I guess we'll have to drop your name off the CTZCC bowling and tennis rosters for awhile?

I know you're rich, but talk with your parents about their Homeowners Policy ~ it might pay for the whole mess. I don't know about Mass laws, but here in CT if you make a good-faith effort to shovel your egress route and somebody falls anyway, the insurance covers it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:02 am 

Frank my parents are already looking into it. My father feels terrible. He is the one who ran out to see what happend when I was screaming bloody murder. What makes me feel terrible is my two girls were in the house screaming wondering why dady sounded that way. My wife pulled up literally seconds after it happened, she thought I was having a heart attack when she first saw me on the ground. Luckily she was there to console our daughters while my mom was on the phone with 911.

I have a disability plan through work but unfortunately it caps at $450 a week which is little more than a third of what I take home. Hopefully my parents insurance will help out with the difference.

I appreciate all the kind words. Everybody has been so nice. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 am 

Trying to picture you screaming.

Doesn't fit, somehow. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 am 

Ha ha like a stuck pig....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:23 am 

["I need to go back in a week for surgery to repair the fibula"].
Do you have an actual appointment date for this procedure? I suppose they wanted to wait a week to reduce the swelling with meds? Even in the photograph, I can see your toes beginning to swell and turn black, and that was just hours after the break.

I've had a few broken bones (I'm sure most of us have), including a broken fist I earned in a Japanese barfight while waiting for my date to arrive. We had agreed to take the train to Hiroshima and she was going to show me the Atomic Museum over a 3-day weekend. If she had met me on time we would have been long gone before the fight started.

I broke my fist so badly, I just kept it inside my glove all weekend to keep it from swelling too much. No anesthesia, no First Aid, nothing, for the entire 3-day weekend. I had waited months to get away with this gal and I wasn't going to miss our date as long as I was still breathing.

When I got back to base 3 days later the Corpsmen had to cut the glove off and re-break my (black) hand because it had begun to set improperly. They just strapped it palm-down on a table and smacked it with a heavy rubber mallet. No conversation, no explanation or preparation. One distracted me to the left while the one on the right WHAM! re-broke my fist. It's hard to express how I felt at that moment.

I wore a short-arm plaster cast for 9 weeks. Three weeks into the cast I ran into two of the guys I had fought at the bar, and we got into it again. That cast was perhaps the best legal weapon I ever wore :lol:

There are lots of down-sides to breaking bones, but the up-side is; they give you great bar stories. Ask any rodeo rider or motorcyclist.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:18 am 

Yeah, Frank is right…I enjoy telling my story too. I broke my fibula and tibia all in one clean swipe. First surgery was to put in a plate, 4 screws and 2 pins. Second surgery was to remove the pins.

Heed the doctor's cautions, (you already know that) don't be afraid to ask for help (I know your ego isn't big enough to be afraid) and try to embrace it as much as possible. Breaking my ankle let me turn my focus away from being a soccer star, and start kicking butt in the classroom-which is where I really made my money in terms of scholarships for college.

There's always a reason for things.

FWIW,

FMP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:15 am 

Right! Every disaster opens new doors.

In the 1970s I got thrown off the Judo tatame and landed on the hard concrete, shattering my left ankle. It got fat and turned colors, but the Xray machine was 'down' that weekend so they misdiagnosed it as a bad sprain.

I got an Ace wrap, ice, elevation, some Happy Pills, Light Duty and crutches, told to return to clinic in one week and sent on my happy way.

The 240 was my only transportation and honestly, I did my best to work the clutch but I simply couldn't put any pressure on that foot. That's when I traded the crutches for a cane and learned how to shift the Z without using the clutch. For start-offs, I pressed the pedal with the cane (now THAT was an entertaining trick!) but it got me thru the week.

Finally I returned for a proper Xray and they showed me all the little broken pieces and gave it a proper cast. But by then it was too late and the ankle has never been 'right' since.

But people who jump out of perfectly good aircraft for a living have far better stories.