Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:05 pm 

Received this from our member Bill Moreau and just had to share it.
Anybody over the age of 30 should relate to this!

http://vimeo.com/52231459

Thanks, Bill! I remember everything on here, and could add a few. I guess we're all just walkin' miracles, ain't we? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:55 pm 

Those truly were "the days". I remember learning to ice-skate on a pond full of stumps, searching for arrowheads in the gullies after a hard rain (found some too), trying to catch turtles with a long forked stick and a piece of fabric, transportation was the bus or a second hand bike, climbing a small tree and having your buddy cut it down (what a ride!), Saturday matinee double feature, cartoons, and movietone news, American Bandstand after school, Flagg Flyers, when the divider in the backseat of Dad's 1950 Buick Super was known as the DMZ, disputes were settled quickly - usually one punch! Those were the '50s. It was great to be a kid then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:36 am 

Incredible about the Buick DMZ! We had a 1949 Piano-Hood Roadmaster (4 portholes! Straight 8!) and that divider kept my sister and me safe from each other on long "are we there yet?" vacation drives.

What were Flagg Flyers?

Attachments:
File comment: Dinosaur of the Chrome Age
'49 Buick.jpg
'49 Buick.jpg [ 239.5 KiB | Viewed 2317 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:13 am 

Frank,
The attached link should explain Flagg Flyers to you younger guys. They were heavy soled and cumbersome to wear but they were in. Black of course!

http://www.retroyoutube.com/2009/12/fla ... rcial.html

We survived because there was much less to worry about. We didn't know from drugs but we sure could swipe one or two of Mom's Pall Malls.
And we thought they didn't have a clue. Without salt or curb to curb plowing we had lots of good runs on the inherited Flexible Flyer.
Then there was the mature oak tree that got in my way. The sled survived...I had broken glasses, concussion and loss of memory. My buddies carried me home like a wounded athlete.
Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 am 

Ahhh....the funky '70s. No wonder I don't remember them. I was very busy throughout that decade, going other places and doing other things. I was never very deep into the black funky culture and the Corps always told me what "stylish" leather to wear on my feet for every occasion. They didn't 'snap' closed ~ they took a long time to lace up, actually ~ but they lasted a long time and protected our feet thru lots of unusual situations. :roll:

http://museumofuncutfunk.com/2009/05/30 ... circa-1970’s/

And the closest I've ever worn to actual platform shoes were western boots, which I wore so much they literally fell apart :(

So I don't share Flagg Bros experience with the rest of our generation, sorry. Please excuse my ignorance.

I've kissed a few Oak trees with toboggans tho! I had enough sense to roll off before impact, so I never spent any time hospitalized from it (until I started riding motorcycle).