Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:47 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:31 pm 

Every year Brenda's family asks me what I want for Christmas and I never respond on time (or at all), because I never have a list. So we sit in her folks living room with everyone having a big pile of presents to open next to their seat. My pile consists of a 1/4 inch stack of gift cards to Home Depot, itunes and Sears because "I am so hard to buy for".

So please help me to know the true joy of Christmas (other than the "Christ" part), by opening some gifts I'll really enjoy in 2014. You can do this by suggesting some of the favorite things you've bought yourself recently or things on your own wish list.

So I'll go first: I want a GoPro for Z and motorcycle outings. Don't know which one to buy though. A little help?

What do you want for Christmas or what do you think I would like to open on that cold morning in Ft. Wayne Indiana?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:29 pm 

Mike Rosann got to throw a hi-speed Ferrari 458GT and a V-10 Audi around the LasVegas racetrack for his birthday a year ago. Said he enjoyed it like nothing he's ever done before. If the anticipation didn't kill him, the course couldn't. They clocked him at over 70mph!

http://forums.ctzcc.com/viewtopic.php?p ... ght=#49073

Lime Rock Park has day-long hi-speed driver courses which allow you (with an instructor aboard) to beat the standing lap record in your own Z, or rent one of their race-prepared cars (Miatas, mostly). If you've never had your GT33 over 100mph and been flattened against the door when you pulled 3 lateral Gs in a tire-howling turn, you've never really driven your car. Skid pads and AutoCross instructions are available there, as well, taught by the Sports Car Driving Assn (SCDA).

http://www.scda1.com/overview

Of course, you could always ask for another toy to play with 8)

Attachments:
1956 AH 100-4.jpg
1956 AH 100-4.jpg [ 111.15 KiB | Viewed 8925 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:41 pm 

Thanks Frank. Great suggestions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:52 pm 

And Ross, all kidding aside ~ if you're looking for something really meaningful to give your driving kids this year, PLEASE consider sending them to a one-day (or longer) Crash Prevention Diving Course by IN CONTROL driving school.

http://www.driveincontrol.com/

I (we) learned about this course from Bob Sharp Hisself, who sponsored it and strongly recommended it (we were at Malcom Pray's home/auto museum, and they gave the lecture, remember?)
I sent my kid as soon as she had her license. Now I learn from HER when we ride together. Last winter she saved the whole car from a serious collision when it drifted on ice in a crosswind in the VT mountains. Steered right into the slide, like it was second nature. Didn't over-correct. Feathered the wheel and throttle until she regained control, while everyone else in the car was saying Hail Marys. Serious stuff ~ it's the very best investment you could give anybody you love.
Future classes in this area include Spin Recovery courses and when/how to safely take your car off the road at speed to avoid a collision, and what to do with your car while it's speeding thru peoples' front yards.
Most kids learn how to control a car, but darned few of them ever learn how to REGAIN control of a car once they've lost it, in time to prevent a serious accident. Ask Bob personally about this course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:30 pm 

I would love a pair of JDM fender mirrors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:15 am 

:thumbs_up:

Last edited by Frank T on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:09 pm 

Just saw this. My buddy and I went 50/50 on the price of a GoPro, and we LOVE IT. We've created a youtube channel based on car enthusiasts. A few of our GoPro videos are up there. The quality is nice on youtube, but BOY you should see it on a computer screen right off the memory card!

Here is a sample (This is the GoPro Black Edition 3+) with a $16 suction cup mount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfrj0imT7ag

Personally, I asked for some camera gear (tripod), some books on turbos, and a Z31 model kit. 8)

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:30 pm 

Ross,
I like the GoPro idea. My son has an older one (surprised he doesn't have the 3 black or 3+) and he has a ball with it. Snowboarding, skateboarding, kayaking, hiking, driving through snow early in the morning ahead of the plows. If he wants to include himself, he mounts it on a ski pole and holds it out in front. They can be mounted almost anywhere, even underwater.
It sure beats socks and a tie you might not wear.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:15 am 

My Christmas present to myself:
I've finally decided to upgrade my almost-44-year-old-non-retractible seatbelts in my 1970 240Z to a modern retractible set from Motorsport Auto. Not that I plan on needing them for their intended purpose, but it will be SWEET not to have to hunt for the seatbelt ends that fell under the seats!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

1984 300ZXT
zcarnut@hotmail.com
FB: Zccr zcarclubofrochester

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:43 am 

The Go-Pro is an awesome idea, for one, it is something that last as long as you take care of it. There are a few models out now, but as long as it full fills your needs. The best part is the WILD memories you will catch of you, your family, friends, and everything else. NOW WOW, that part is Priceless. :thumbs_up: Everything else can come later. :wink: I have my Go-Pro, so this year I want my RB32DETT engine for my Z. I'll put it in my self, not a problem. 8) In reality, I just asked for the PS3, that will be on sale today. Don't need the new one, this will fit my needs. I may play a game here and there on it in the winter time, but it's a blue ray player and streams movies as well. :thumbs_up: The 240 got a car cover this year for the winter and is now hibernating.......It's not happy and can't wait till spring already. :( :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:24 am 

I've got another idea, Ross.

Why don't you ask for a really nice media blaster, so your friends can hang out in your garage this winter? 8)

Attachments:
Media Blaster.jpg
Media Blaster.jpg [ 72.89 KiB | Viewed 8802 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:14 pm 

Soooo, what became of this, Ross?

Wha'dcha get?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:55 pm 

Well I got the GoPro video camera Frank. But I haven't had enough time or patience to figure out how to use it yet. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:06 pm 

Sorry buddy ~ can't help ya. You'll have to ask a teenager. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:10 pm 

Yeahh! Welcome to the club!

Think about all the Z moments you'll record! Ross in the front Filipe in the back, 100+ CarZ in between.

We'll be livin' the dream, baby!