Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:10 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Dash Cams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:58 pm 

Over time I have become more and more sensitive to the very aggressive drivers on our roads that put our lives at risk. Coming home from a CTZCC meeting a couple months ago with Graham, I was driving between 60 and 70 mph in the right lane. A car passed me in the middle lane and was about 5 car lengths ahead of us. All of a sudden I heard screeching brakes as he swerved wildly into my lane. If I hadn't immediately swerved into the shoulder the impact would have resulted in a serious accident, maybe even a fatality. This guy proceeded to exit the highway and pulled into a rest area, where he and a couple others started walking into McDonalds. I was so enraged at this guy's behavior that I followed him into the rest area and shouted at him at the top of my lungs. Graham was in the front seat and I wanted this guy to know that his desire for a coke, or burger or something else almost terminated the life of a 10 year old. He said "sorry" and continued on through the entrance.

Anyway, every day or two I seem to encounter aggressive and irresponsible drivers that put my safety at risk. Usually on the highways on my way to or from work.

So I'm thinking of getting a dash cam for the car I drive the most - my Z. It won't prevent an accident but at least it can prove fault and hopefully hold some of these folks responsible for their actions. I've been researching them and they are now quite affordable, with the cheapest models costing $60-$80.

Does anyone have any real-world experience with dash cams? Any recommendations or things to avoid?

Pasted below is a link that compares some of these products. From what I've read, the more basic models are recommended over the ones that cost $300 and have GPS and other features.

I'd be interested in any thoughts my CTZCC buddies have.

http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/

Post subject: Re: Dash Cams
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:05 pm 

I dont have any personal experience but it has been an item that I always tell myself I have to buy. You might want to check out Techmoans youtube channel and website. He reviews many of the dash cams available, talking about the install, included accessories, operation, quirks, and samples to show the quality in different driving situations. The two best cameras he has reviewed are the Viofo VF960 G900 and the Mini DVR 0801. I feel that the Viofo takes better quality video and I love the part when he drives straight into the sun in the video, but he prefers the mini 0801 because of the size since its harder to see in the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:09 am 

my friend has a GoPro and loves it. the video quality is amazing and i don't think the older model is that pricey now. you can suction cup mount it right to your dash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:34 pm 

Porkbun, Thanks for the referral to Techmoan. I've been watching his videos on YouTube, which are great. I especially enjoyed his intro video to dash cams.

Mike, Thanks for the GoPro recommendation. I've thought about GoPro and have heard that some people are using them in this way..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am 

Hey Ross,

Not an expert on the topic, but whichever cam you get I think you would want one that will overwrite old files when the memory gets full. It would be a pain to have to delete everything every time your flash memory is full of driving footage where nothing happens.

I also share your frustration with downright bad/dangerous drivers. I don't drive all the time, but I walk a few miles a day and have had too many close calls... I should carry a pedestrian-cam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:18 am 

+1 on GoPros.

You'd essentially get two cameras in one. When you don't need it as a dash cam, you can use it for other things...like track day ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:12 am 

The GoPro Hero 3 has a loop recording feature to overwrite previously recorded videos like a dashcam, but no auto start/stop. Youll have to remember to turn the camera on and off everytime you get in/out of the car. That and its much more expensive than the dash cameras since it offers many features that a dash cam doesnt have. Many dash cams also have GPS so you can watch yourself going along a google map (depending on the camera and software), see your speed, and some will even measure G-forces.

If you dont want a dash cam, there are many compilations of bad drivers (more than enough for multiple videos just for one month) and insurance fraud on youtube that will change your mind. If someone throws it and reverse and tries to make it look like you rear ended them or pulls something like this youll be armed and ready to make them look like a fool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:42 pm 

I picked up a Kodak playsport for about $80. Shoots about 5.5hrs. @1024.
Audio pickup very sensitive. Unit is small, light and mounts behind my GPS just under the rearview. It's not a "dash cam". I wanted something to document the car build and events. I like the versatility of the small palm cam over a dash cam.

Problem I have is that audio cuts out (breaks up) with engine running. I don't know if its my ignition or the cam. Anyway, friends with the gopro like it alot. Good hunting.
Jack