Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:55 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:53 pm 

Hint: this is from 1958.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:10 pm 

The valve covers are throwing me.. Chevy 348 cu tri power ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:00 pm 

:lol: Haha! You win either way, Mike! Nice work!

Quite right ~ the wonderful 1958 Chevy 348 cu/in TriPower engine. Introduced in 1958, it replaced the 283 V8 and was used until 1960. It came with several options, which were unusual because they somehow didn't seem to make sense.

You could order this engine with a single 2-Bbl carb, which gave you 135hp.
You could oder this engine with a single 4-Bbl carb, which gave you 250hp.
You could order this engine with TWO 4Bbl carbs, which gave you 300hp.
You could order this engine with THREE 2-Bbl carbs, which gave you 335hp.

Somehow, the TriPower option made more horsepower than the dual-quad option. Not sure how that happened, but this was the most-popular hot-rodding option they made. This setup has the popular progressive-action throttle linkage, which worked the engine off the center carb only (the one with the choke plate) until you mashed the throttle, then the other two dumped open. That gave you pretty good fuel economy if you kept your foot out of it. But when you smashed the Loud Pedal, this engine distinguished itself on the strip or highway. It was the one to beat on the street.

And it's the one I became familiar with (on a sleek 1960 Chevy Impala 2-dr) in 1961. There is no sound in the world like the full-throttle howl of multiple carbs on a 1960s muscle car, and this was the engine I learned that from.

The 348 was replaced by the 327 in 1962 and by the mighty 409 (which looked almost identical, as Mike noted) in 1961. Either of those engines would out-perform this one, but for three wonderful years, this engine was king of the road when I was a teenaged gear head.

Frank

Last edited by Frank T on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 pm 

???

Attachments:
Mystery Engine #5.jpg
Mystery Engine #5.jpg [ 309.36 KiB | Viewed 4269 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:15 pm 

Wankel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:47 pm 

Nope. Not close ~ but good guess.

Hint: Automotive, aeronautical, nautical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:04 am 

DeltaHawk's V-4 Turbo Diesel Aircraft Engine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:33 am 

:shock: MY GAWSH, MIKE!!! :shock: You're exactly correct ~ AGAIN! :shock:

How in the heck are you doing that??

This is the new Delta Hawk 200- shaft horse power (shp) V4 DIESEL engine. It is liquid cooled, fuel injected, and turbocharged. It has no head gaskets or head bolts and, being a diesel, it has no camshaft, no valves, no ignition, and weighs about 330lbs ready to run.

So why all the fuss?

Well, this is the cheapest-to-run, quietest running, lightest weight and most reliable internal-combustion power plant per SHP available for use in aircraft, hovercraft, helicopters, All Terrain Vehicles, common family sedans, small boats and other 'special use' vehicles. As a diesel, it has only 5 moving parts while running, if you count the two spinning impellers in the 'charger. Reliability (especially while flying) is inversely related to the number of parts which can break, which is why your bicycle has always been more reliable than your motorcycle, why your revolver has always been more reliable than your autoloader, and why we swap out our breaker/point/condenser ignition systems in exchange for electronic ignitions.

There are countries who want to buy smaller versions of this for farm tractors and lawnmowers ( :shock: ) and FEMA, the US Army, and US Firefighters are hoping for a smaller version to run portable water pumps and emergency power generators.

http://www.deltahawkengines.com/

Nice work, Mike!!! Really impressed.

Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:42 pm 

For Mike G ~

Here ya' go buddy: 409 cubes, 409 horses, 1962.

Giddyup!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTDLq-g ... creen&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qsYreB ... re=related

Attachments:
'62 409.jpg
'62 409.jpg [ 57.41 KiB | Viewed 4217 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:52 am 

Frank,
I kind of cheated. Having spent a lifetime around diesel engines I recognized that it had high pressure fuel injection. I Googled V-4 Diesel engine and up came the photo you uploaded.
I think this thread is interesting, keep it up. If I could figure out how to upload photo's off the net I would add a few of my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 pm 

Mike ~ that's a common enough request, so I think I'll print it out right here, right now. You're certainly not the only member who needs to be reminded how to do this again:

TO TRANSFER A PICTURE INTO THIS FORUM:

1. Select the picture you want to transfer into this forum. It can already be downloaded (stored) in your computer's photo library from your digital camera, or something you found on another website. Let's work first with transferring a picture from another internet website onto this one;

2. However your computer requires you to do it, 'capture' the picture from the other website. Most times you will simply right-click over the picture, causing it to 'highlight' (turn another color, usually yellow). Some computers require you to press the mouse button and 'scroll' over the picture. Either way, you want the picture to turn yellow. Now you've sort of got it 'lassoed', and you want to herd it to another 'corral';

3. In the header atop your computer page, click the little balloon which says "FILE". Somewhere in the little screen which pops up, you'll click on "SAVE AS" (or some words similar to that, depending on what kind of computer you use) Chose a name for that picture;

4. Another screen will pop up, offering places for you to store your "lassoed" picture. I select DESK TOP because I can see it and it's easily selected from that 'corral' when Im ready to herd it to another corral. So let's use DESKTOP for this example;

5. Now, clear the other internet site you captured the picture from, and bring up this website. Go to the forum you want to add the picture to. You must either REPLY to an ongoing discussion, or start a NEW POST;

6. After typing some kind of text in the correspondence window, scroll down to the white balloon below the window, which reads CHOOSE FILE (no file selected). When you press that you will get a screen which shows all of the 'corrals' in your computer, like your PICTURES, PHOTOS, MOVIES, DESKTOP, etc. Remember we led our lassoed picture into our DESKTOP corral, so that's the one you press now;

7. You will see a list of all the photos in your DESKTOP. Find the name you chose for your new picture and click on it. It will highlight, indicating you have 'lassoed' it again. At the lower right corner of my screen, I must click on the balloon which says "SELECT";

8. Your picture will then be transferred into this forum. You will have the chance at that time to print a few lines in the little box below the title. That print will show up on top of your picture when you press "SUBMIT".

Try that much first, then we'll get into taking digital camera pictures out of your computer library. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:24 pm 

Frank T wrote:

Thats a beauty .. Even has a coil can to cool the fuel and eliminate possible vapor lock NICE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:44 pm 

["Even has a coil can to cool the fuel and eliminate possible vapor lock"]

I'll bet you learned that from a 1973 240Z with flattop SUs!! 8)

Last edited by Frank T on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:49 pm 

Mike R, to post pictures from the net, you'll have to save them to your hard drive first, then attach it, I think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:45 pm 

How about this one? Anybody?

Attachments:
Mystery engine #5.jpg
Mystery engine #5.jpg [ 56.1 KiB | Viewed 4108 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next