Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:28 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: End of an Era
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:43 pm 

Tonight, for the first time in 18 years (297 games, or 325 if you count playoffs), Brett Favre failed to start a football game.

His sprained Rt shoulder has made his right arm and hand swollen, numb and purple (Vikings colors) all the way down to his knuckles.

At age 41, Brett is the Old Man of the NFL. He has officially retired three times; first from my beloved Packers, then from the NY Jets, then last year from the Vikings. He got talked into returning for this year's Vikings season. It hasn't gone well.

Favre is guaranteed to have his number (4) retired into the Hall of Fame. He has thrown more touchdown passes, completed more forward passes, thrown the longest completed pass and started more games (all his were consecutive) than any other QB in football history. He has played every game of every season since 1992.

He has also played hurt. Broken fingers, ankles, and wrist, multiple concussions, cracked ribs and a sprained back failed to stop him from playing. Even when his father died, he led the Pack to victory at Lambeau Field the very next day, in one of his most-inspired and precise games.

For a brief dark period he led the NFL in interceptions, and twice his final throws of the season were picked off. That was mostly the reason he refused to retire when he probably should have ~ he didn't want the final play of his illustrious career to be an interception. This season, he is back to that same dubious honor ~ leading the League in intercepted passes.

My two most memorable moments of Favre's long career happened during Superbowl games. Bret led the Pack to the Superbowl XXXI championship in New Orleans. I nearly got arrested that night for disturbing the peace in my neighborhood. I still remember the thrilling sight of Reggie White (Defensive Coordinator for the Pack), running a lap of the stadium after an exhausting game, holding the Vince Lombardi trophy over his head the whole lap, so fans could touch it as he passed. That put tears in my eyes.
The following year, with 30 seconds left in Superbowl XXXII, Brett fired one of his magic, long range precision balls and hit his tight end Mark Chmura squarely on his jersey numbers in the end zone, and Chmura dropped the ball. Denver won the game and became Superbowl Champs. I will never forget the startled, disbelieving look on Brett's face when he looked at his buddy Mark standing in the end zone, crying.

Another year, Brett executed the most unbelievable forward pass in football history. As soon as he fired the pass, it was deflected and spun high in the air. Favre raced out of the pocket, caught the falling ball, then dashed 22 yards for a first down. No other quarter back in the NFL had ever received his own forward pass, then advanced it by rushing.

Brett will probably always be one of my life's heroes. He was never a quitter and always played his heart out. He was the "Pele" of American football. I guess I always knew he would have to quit someday, and it looks as if this year will be it for the great Brett Favre.

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 pm 

And yours truly waz there to witness the end.
Not to mention watch the G-Strings put whupping on the Vikes.
Very cold here;don't know how these Michiganders do it!
Gotta go catch a plane back home...

Al

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:44 pm 

WHOA! Al, I KNEW that was you on the 50 yr line, wearing the CTZCC thong!!!

Cool! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:37 am 

Well, now that Brett has broken his 18+ yr long streak, at least Mike Rosann has a chance to beat him. Mike hasn't missed a meeting or an event since he joined the Club.

All Mike has to do now is keep attending for another 13 years and he's got the trophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:18 pm 

:( Gone.

Bye, Brett. Thanks for 19 years of memories. We will brag about you after you're gone. History always makes heroes bigger than they were in life.

Hope you heal well. You deserve a rest.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-favre