Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Kayak and Canoe!!!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 pm 

Who's into it?

I just bought a sweet rig for the kayaking side, a Hobie Mirage Revolution, and used it all week. 2 years ago I bought a Mad River Adventure canoe. When I saw the Hobie in the showroom, I've wanted it, but out of my price range. Two years later, I could afford one, and got one. Love them both, but the Hobie has my love. Right after work I've been hitting the Derby/Shelton part of the Housatonic river at about 7:00am... Strange that this week, I'm the only one on the river when the fish are biting...

Snagged 4 really small bluefish and two really small stripped bass today... They were small... less than 10 inches...but felt good having them online.

Also Known As Clayton Pace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:11 pm 

I have 17' Necky Eskia..... I'd like to do some CT Kayaking. It's up in the ADK's...I'll bring it home this weekend.

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:16 pm 

Nice Choice !
Thats a fishing machine...

My wife and I have a pair of 14 ft Perception Acadia yaks. I have been slowly outfitting mine for fishing. The goal was to be ready to fish the Cape. Now my friends are bringing the boat so It maybe left home.

Is a CTZCC kayak outing in the works ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:08 pm 

Is a CTZCC kayak outing in the works ?

Mayhaps...Bring 'em along on the 11th; Big Al'z Bar n Grill iz right on the water. If you 'yakkerz want a lil extra float time,feel free to arrive any time after the crack 'o noon.

Al

Attachments:
camera 014.jpg
camera 014.jpg [ 450.45 KiB | Viewed 4426 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:32 am 

I've got a couple of Necky Santa Cruz kayaks... they're 12-footers, so I'm not sure they'd be that good on the shore. They're fantastic for fishing large rivers and lakes though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:09 am 

i've always wanted to float around in a kayak will anybody let me join them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:55 am 

Your Kayak could use some fender flares.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:43 pm 

theZman wrote:
i've always wanted to float around in a kayak will anybody let me join them?

If I can get the wife out of bed tomorrow morning, we will head up to Collinsville and she will rent one for a few hours, rentals are cheap. I'm pressuring her to buy one, since I already bought the rack on the car for two.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5,,0,-4.24

If you can't make that, then you can catch me at 7:00 am next week when it's going to be sunny on RT34, near Rt 8, there is a new little park down there, on Caroline street, under the RT 8 bridge.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=derby+ct& ... 2&t=h&z=17

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:58 pm 

Mike,
Your certainly welcome to join me some Saturday.
I can throw them in my tuck. Our rack is on the wife's Jeep
(she works Saturday, and will not drive my truck or the Z )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:47 pm 

Ok, just found this info...next week I'm doing the tube and worm....

http://www.ctfisherman.com/tubeworm.html

Might have to find a little deeper water, I'll talk to some guys at work for their secret locations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:48 pm 

Tube n worms are Great !
I have used them in the boat. There are many variations. (planes & weights various colors) Not much weight needed trolling in a yak. Considering the shallow water troll is one of the yaks best advantages..

*** Edit***
Guess I should of checked out the link 1st :oops:
I found some saftey clips at Home Depot "I'll see if I can shoot a pic" to use in place of the Tman weighted keels.
The clips are a Good heavy guage wire.
I tighten up the clip/loop with a pair of pliers
Good to go...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:37 pm 

It's called the 90 miler and my wife is doing it next weekend. I'm part of the pit crew.

Not sure if my Mrs is crazy or motivated. Regardless, I will be rooting her on :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_Canoe_Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:38 pm 

I went back to Derby after work this morning, and went to T C Bait shop, he had the tube and worm set-up, plus bought a new rod and reel...and other stuff...

It was beautiful, high tide, river was higher than I thought it would be, sunny, calm, and I wish I had someone there to just say how awesome it was.

Everything set up, went down stream, and trolled all the way down with sand worm on the tube, and a bass spinner on the other line, went past the sand place, and was in view of the other dock, then the wind started to pick up. So slowly turned around, pulled the lines in and set another worm on the hook, and started to troll again. 10 minutes later, I started to hear the reel buzzing...and waited for a solid buzz...because the rods are behind my back and cant watch them...and then it went solid.... heart attack time...

I swung around so fast...that I wanted this to be something I could be happy of for the amount of money I spent...and well...I'm not small, and I'm not large either...so the body weight shift, and I forgot I'm on a kayak...well..I dropped into the water like a lead weight on a piece of paper held over a ledge. Kayak flipped over.

I have an open water divers license, and I was planning on being a dive instructor 10 years ago, been diving since 1991, and I have also done water survival training for work....in a pool, and on the 22nd, I have to go to the dunker in Grawton for re-training... where they simulate a helicopter crash upside down in water and they flip you all day to see if you can get out of it...easy day of work, because you know someone is watching you at all times. Being in water doesn't scare me that much, but becoming disorientated immediately and in conditions not safe, and losing a few hundred dollars of stuff...does. Well...the instant shock of hitting water, then the thought of losing my new rod and reel, and tube... and then the wind....= panic.

once I knew that I'm ok, and just got to get back on the kayak...I'll be fine.... easier said than done... first attempt...back in the water, second attempt couldn't do it with out knowing I was closer to shore, so I swam and pulled the kayak with me till I can touch the river bed. Finally back in the boat, and calmed down, but 2 fishing poles are now gone.... scanned the area...and saw them just barely floating...right next to each other... paddled over to them, snagged them, reeled in the lures...and the worm was gone...so it was a hit.... but I'm all wet, and still freaked out.

Wind is picking up...I'm still 2 miles down stream, tide is going out... crap! I grab the paddle...I try it, and I'm still so shaken from the excitement...that it was no good... I look at my legs...calmed them down faster than my arms...and I got peddling just like I was walking... movement...and then I just kept pushing into the wind, into the current, and into the tide... I'd say that if the kayak didn't have the pedal, I probably would've called 911 with my Iphone that I previously put into a Ziplock bag to come snag me.

One full week on the water, many lessons learned, and going shopping tomorrow to get items for future excursions... This is too fun to let a little dip get into the way.

When I got home...the wind is still kicking... and I looked at the map...2 miles down, 2 stressful miles back up the river... pedaling 4 miles, getting wet, learning from my mistakes, and going back out tomorrow at Collinsville... after a little shopping up there to get some darn fishing rod holders for the front of the boat...so I can see the hit, and don't have to lean back and to the side to grab the pole....

:roll: :cry: :wink: :twisted:

Last edited by Airjockie on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:51 pm 

What a scary, but fotunate day !
I'm glad you made out alright.
So were your poles leashed to the yak or did you just luck out finding them ?
LEASH everything you arent prepared to loose. pliers/grippers ect...
We have the paddles leashed. You wouldnt think its a big deal until one gets away from you.
Some snap clips to hold the paddle against or on top of the yak while you contend with a toothy blue will make life so much easier..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:30 am 

I have only used my Kayak on lakes so far for that reason. Never found a group to paddle with in swift rivers or the sound, but would like to. I don't fish, but when I get my kayak back down to CT this weekend I'll try to join you fellas as a spotter so to speak, I'll just paddle aorund the area just to be out there.

I have taught myself to get back in the kayak from the water using a paddle float and paddle as an outrigger. Also carry and hand water pump. I may get a handheld waterproof VHF...channel 16 for help.

Perhaps we can practice at the Pond at Big Al's next weekend. I need some self rescue pratice.

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z