Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:14 am 

There are enough new members who have joined us in the past year, to warrant re-showing this.

When I was a teenager, these cars captured my heart and imagination. I always preferred the Aston Martin DB4GT (especially the Zagato), but these Ferrari 250 GTOs dominated every track they raced on for about 4 years.

Just to fix the era in your mind, these cars were dominant in the early 1960s, and competed against (and eventually surrendered their crowns to) such 'new' cars as the Corvette Sting Ray (two words), the Lightweight E-Type Jaguar, and the 289V8 AC/Ford Cobra roadster.

I can remember thrilling fall afternoons at Watkins Glen raceway (the old 2.3 mile, 6-turn course), watching these GTOs scream past every car on the straightaway. The air was filled with the smell of castor oil and the eerie sound of the "banshee wail of the Ferrari GTO".

It was a great time to be a car-crazy teenager. I truly do miss that era.

Please enjoy this (again), and envy me for having grown up in a time when 16 yr old kids could jump on their motorcycles, ride 80 miles to the SCCA championship races, and be home before dark ~ for less than $20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-5JNxVVkDA

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:19 am 

I envy you very much. :twisted: Yea, those must of been some good ol times back then. There was a time for under $5,000 you could by a kit for your 240 and make yourself a Ferrari. Not bad concidering those Ferrari cars cost a meer 3 million to get one. The only mistake I've seen people make was not welding up the hatch, but other than that, I have seen some nice kits done up. There was a John Candy movie where he drove one, and wow, what a car, it's one of my favorites too, but at least I can afford a Datsun. :D