Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:53 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Spider bite
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:55 am 

Just for those of you that were curious about my bite on my arm, some of you saw it at the outing. It turned out to be a very infected spider bite. It turned into a bad staph infection. We stopped at the ER in Milford on the way home from the meet and they cut it open, removed an absess that had formed under the skin, and put me on a I.V. drip of a really potent Antibiotic. They also took blood to do a culture. Had to go back on Sunday and Monday again for an I.V. drip and then the doctor put me on very strong oral antibiotic. I also saw a surgeon on Monday and have an appointment mext Tuesday to have the area cut out so it can heal properly with a lesser chance of another scar. They put me on some good pain meds too which helped with pain and sleep. Thanks for all the support guys. If we hadn't had so many people reccomend that we go to the E.R. on Saturday I doubt we would have and who knows where I'd be then. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 am 

Chad,
Glad you got this looked at. It was a nasty sight! Next time you could go to the emergency room before a Z event you know? We want you to have two arms and legs at all of our future events! Ross

Last edited by Ross.Williams on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:31 am 

Did they determine which type of spider tried to kill you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:19 am 

We should present a Certificate to Chad for showing up with a major injury.

Glad you got it checked out!

And Hey, Thanks again for the CD w/Manuals!

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:36 am 

Well I just hope there isn't need of next time. I would rathar gather with my friends and their cars then spend collectively about 25 hours in the ED over 3 days. It stinks that I can't wrench on my Z though. I have all kinds of new parts to put in. Just have to wait for the wrist to heal. I love my Z but it would be hard to shift gears if my right arm was gone. But seriously I had to make the BBQ, hope its not our last meet this year. I mean the farmers almanac says we are supposed to have a very mild winter so I guess we will see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 am 

As for the spider they don't know what kind but they know it was venomous and thats what started the infection. Its pretty funny though becasue it was a male nurse that did my Vitals and he wanted to see the bite so I took the bandage off and he turned as white as a ghost. lol. I have a picture if anyone wants to see what it looked like by the time I got to the hospital. But be warned its not for those with a weak stomache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:28 pm 

my money is on a black widow. we're a tad too east to really encounter any brown recluses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:41 pm 

Chad,
I'll pass on the picture. Halloween is over and I really don't want to see something like that again! :D Ross

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:28 pm 

Negits on the Brown Recluse ~ I got bitten on the earlobe by one last time I went fishing along the Q river. My ear swelled up and I looked like a boxer by the time I got home that night. It took three shots over 6 days to save me. I never even felt him strike, and he only hit me with one fang.

The toxicology tech asked me if I had been in South America that week? I said 'noooo, why?'. He categorically told me I had been bitten by a Brown Recluse, because the only other spider in the world which had that venom lived in the Amazon River basin.

Go figure. Lucky me.

I haven't been fishing since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:14 pm 

OK Chad, it's been a month now ~ are you still alive? What's happened with this since you last posted?

And I'd love to zee the picture, but half the Club would probably quit if you Posted it here. Email it to me?

Frank@CTZCC.Com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:25 pm 

Ok ok here is an update. I am still alive. The Bite is still present but almost healed now. It has healed enough so that I have been able to get some more work done on my car and finish a few projects around the house too. Had all sorts of drugs through this whole process. Been off them all for about 2 weeks now and I think the chemicals in my body are finally back to normal. I do have one more follow up appointment with the surgeon to make sure it has healed inside properly. I am thankful that everyone reccomended that I go to the E.R. If it had gotten any worse who knows what might of happened. Well if anyone wants to see the picture just email me at wallwalker2003@yahoo.com and I will forward you a picture. Be warned though, viewer discretion is advised due to the disturbing and graphic nature of Z pictures... Have a good day all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:44 pm 

WHOOAAHH, DUDE!!! :shock: Now THAT is a WORLD-CLASS spider bite! I have literally seen nicer exit wounds after a firefight! You look like you've been Fragged by a box of jax! CORPSMAN!!!

Seriously, I'm glad you made it to the ER when you did, or you might not have had an arm left to take pictures of.

When I was younger I was pretty deeply into Survival. You know ~ how to keep yrslf alive & well if you're ever unexepectedly stranded in the Boonies for a night or two (or four or five). Most people fear they will "starve to death" (takes about 3 weeks) or be "eaten by a bear" (never saw one while sleeping in the woods). Their much greater dangers are dehydration, burns from their own campfire, or INSECT & SNAKE BITES.

You prove that point.

You deserve a Purple Heart!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:19 am 

Although its not completely healed, My right arm is completely in tact....lol Well I am glad I was able to make the meet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 pm 

WELLLLL ~ it's been nearly a year now since this 'event' took place. I haven't heard from Chad in awhile and was wondering last week how he's doing.

Chad? Wanna assure us you're still alive, with both arms?

Any residuals?

Frank