Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: SMITH SYSTEM of DRIVING
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 pm 

(I like this Forum, because it affords us an outlet for some rather oddball subjects).

Most of what we read and write in this Website is about our carz. Just about every Thread in every Forum focuses on some mechanical aspect of certain Zs or all Zs. This one is different ~ it's about how we DRIVE our Zs ~ or any other vehicle, for that matter.

I've always deluded myself into thinking I was a pretty good driver. I was able to make my cars do pretty accurate things at high and low speeds and have "skillfully" avoided some close calls over the years. After patting myself on the back for several decades, I suddenly learned something in 1994 which convinced me that I never really had a CLUE about how to drive safely ~ I was just lucky.

That thing I learned is called the SMITH SYSTEM of DRIVING. It's an embarrassingly simple five steps, which professional truck drivers and police are learning to apply to every minute of every trip. Theoretically, if you constantly apply this simple system to every driving minute, you'll reduce your probability of a collision to almost zero. This is what you constantly remind yourself to do:

1. AIM HIGH IN STEERING. Don't focus on the backend of the car in front of you. Look as far ahead as possible in every driving situation, especially on high speed roadways. Your eyes will automatically pick up developing situations closer to you. You should be examining the traffic patterns as far ahead as you can see.

2. LEAVE YOURSELF A WAY OUT. Don't allow yrslf to get boxed in ~ try to safely maneuver to a position where you have a free lane beside you somewhere, even if it's the breakdown lane. In case of a sudden emergency ahead of you (is there another kind?), you'll have someplace safe to steer into to avoid a collision. Anticipate merging traffic at on-ramps and EXPECT that you'll be in their blind spot when they're ready to merge. Move left well in advance when approaching an on ramp, just in case the merging driver isn't watching for you.

3. GET THE BIG PICTURE. Be mindful of what the traffic PACKS are doing, and where they'll be in the next minute. Traffic tends to drive in 'packs' on the highway ~ try to arrange to stay out of them (I'm happiest when I'm alone with a pack ahead and a pack behind me). Try to anticipate what conditions are likely to change in the next minute; is the pack behind you traveling faster than the one ahead? Where can you position your car to allow them to overtake you safely, and still be out of the way if two or more other cars collide and spin out of control, etc. Use your imagination.

4. KEEP YOUR EYES MOVING. Traffic patterns are ever-changing. No hole stays empty for long. Impatient drivers lunge from lane to lane in an attempt to outpace other traffic. Everything changes, constantly. What you see now will change in seconds. Don't let your attention drift off. Watch your mirrors and the traffic all around you. Rule #3 applies.

5. MAKE SURE THEY SEE YOU. Be mindful of your "blind spots", and be especially mindful of others' blind spots. Drive with your lights on, signal all turns and lane changes well in advance, and look around (as in TURN YOUR HEAD) to check your blind spots before moving your vehicle. If you're unsure the other driver sees you, a friendly light tap of the horn can get his attention and prevent a collision.

So,

AIM HIGH IN STEERING,
LEAVE YOURSELF A WAY OUT,
GET THE BIG PICTURE,
KEEP YOUR EYES MOVING, and
MAKE SURE THEY SEE YOU.

In addition to those 5 basic steps, the SMITH SYSTEM makes other recommendations which make your trip safer:

a. Leave your two rear windows down a bit, so you can HEAR cars driving in your blind spots;

b. Park in anticipation of your departure. Don't park haphazardly, for the sake of quick convenience. Take a moment and PLAN your departure before you park ~ it might be safer to back into a space now, so you don't have to back out into moving traffic later;

c. Check your gauges individually. Take your eyes off the road only long enough to look at one gauge, then look back at the traffic around you. Consider what you just saw on the gauge and digest that information. When it's safe, look at the next gauge. Don't allow yourself to be distracted from traffic long enough to read all your gauges at once. Life happens fast on the highway. If you take your eyes off the road for 5 seconds, you will have traveled blind more than 400 feet ~ an entire football field, including both endzones (Rule #4 applies);

d. Place a thumbnail-size piece of tape in the center of your side-view mirrors. In case a driver behind you fails to dim his lights, you can maneuver your head or the mirror to let the tape cover his highbeams, preventing blinding or distraction;

e. When following a car at any speed, maintain a THREE SECOND interval btwn your car and his. Disregard that old nonsense the DMV taught us about "One Car Length For Every 10MPH of Speed" ~ that simply doesn't work and is hard to judge. When the car ahead passes any fixed object, count the seconds until you pass the same object. If you follow the THREE SECOND RULE, it will allow you time to recogniZe a threat, plan avoidance, react to the threat and stop or swerve in time to avoid a collision. Less than THREE SECONDS interval is too close, and you will stop as soon as your car collides with his;

f. If you have to swerve and brake hard, BRAKE HARD and THEN swerve. Swerving first lifts car weight off the inside tire, so when you then brake hard, that "light" tire will skid. Your braking force will be reduced and then when you try to straighten out by steering the opposite direction, the skidding tire will receive the car's weight and put you out of control.
By BRAKING FIRST, you shift the car's weight to both front tires, increasing traction. Then, when you swerve, you have BOTH tires helping to steer the car in the direction you want to go.

g. If you are being tailgated by another car, try pressing your windshield washers. If the driver doesn't get the hint the first time, re-apply as needed. Move to a safer lane and let persistent offenders pass. They're probably on the cell phone and not paying attention, anyway! :lol:

Hope that wasn't boring.

Frank T

Last edited by Frank T on Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:07 am 

EXCELLENT - I've not seen that before, thanks for posting.

Now to teach this to the masses on I-95 would be great!

1976 Porsche 912E. #163 of 2200 - SOLD (3 years owned)
2018 BMW 330i GT xdrive daily driver
2004 BMW Z4 3.0i ….it is a Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:00 am 

Great points.

The same applies, even more so, on the track...think 2 corners ahead, and don't keep your eyes on the car in front of you...(if they slide off the track, you'll follow them right into the ditch, if your eyes are glued to their bumper - I've seen it happen).

I always try to look as far down the road as possible, to anticipate any challenges very early.

Cheers,
Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:50 pm 

The mandatory motorcycle safety course I took for my license while in the military has a lot of the same principals. I've found that since then I've become a much better driver overall.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:54 am 

Wow, I've been doing that all this time, great minds think alike. :D But Frank, how are we suppose to role down our back windows :?: O' wait, drive a 2+2. :? Those are some great driving tips, thank you Frank. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:06 am 

paul.mackin wrote:
But Frank, how are we suppose to role down our back windows :?:

I suppose since I own a 2 seater I could take an elbow to my quarter windows every time I start off down the road, but that might get expensive... Or maybe leave the hatch open, if nothing else I'll have more downforce!

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:23 pm 

.....and alot of exhaust fumes as well. :shock: Too bad they didn't make the coupe windows pop out like the 2+2. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:05 pm 

When my Z is closed, its fine. But once I open a T-top or a window its over, stinks to high hell. Since its summer, and my AC is no-workie, sucking fumes is usually not an option.

-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:36 pm 

We should do a Tech Tips article on this subject. Several First-Generation Z owners have complained of exhaust leaking back into the cabin. I'd bet there are a lot more who don't complain openly about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:33 am 

One was the gaskets for the lights. I have a new pair for a 280 some where's. Hatch gasket too. (when windows are closed) Well in my 83t, I have the same issue, but something about that smell of raw gas, I feel like I'm driving a real car. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:20 am 
Site Admin

You are an incredible source of consistently remarkable info, Frank.

I'm going to print out your post and keep it in my files so that in a few years when my kids start to get learner's permits, I'll be able to burn these concepts into their heads from day one.

Excellent post!