Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:46 pm
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Brush fires Down Under
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 pm 

Hey, Steve and Obsidian Pete ~

You blokes were on our evening news here tonight. We're hearing there are more than 100 Aussies killed in the worst wild fires ever recorded in Australian history. I sure hope the trouble stays well away from you (and the cars! :shock:).

While there's little we can do to help y'all from here, please know we're thinking of you and wishing you guys the best.

Wild fires in this country are largely limited to our Western states, where year-round hi temperatures dry out the landscape and bozos are careless with their campfires and matches. But when they get started (especially in California), they can sweep thru whole counties and stay burning for many weeks. People in very large cities get wild animals walking down Main Street trying to avoid the fires.

You guys stay safe down there!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:23 am 

Well, we seem to have lost Comm with our members Down Under. They might be too busy to come to the phone, or they might have lost Internet service due to the fires.

Keep 'em in your thoughts 'till we hear from them again.

Frank T
MbrshpDir

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:14 pm 

I just received a brief PM from our Australian members, saying they're OK and no longer threatened by the fires. The closest one to them now is 500 miles away, altho an earlier fire swept thru the suburb next to them.

It's Summertime in Australia now. This year they celebrated Global Warming by having the hottest year on record, with daytime records over 115 degrees. In the midst of that crazy heat, someone set fire to the dry brush, resulting in the worst wildfires in Aussie history. Many towns were simply burned to the ground, killing more than 200 souls and leaving tens of thousands homeless. Police have arrested someone and charged him with arson and manslaughter.

I saw satellite photos of south eastern Australia on the Weather Channel; the entire landscape looked blackened. In a rural area heavily dependent upon livestock and crops for a living, one can only imagine how many farm animals and fields must have been lost. Not the thing you want to endure in the depths of global economic recession.

Aussies are known for being tough and able to withstand adversity. Still, this is a serious issue and you have to wish them all well and hope they can recover quickly.

Their "ZEDS" (Zs) are OK, thankfully! But we can assume others were lost. I can only imagine the horror of having to quickly load your family and dogs into the sedan or SUV as the flames approach, leaving your house and classic Z car behind.

I look out my window and see my yard covered in snow, and wish I could send them some.

I'm just glad Steve and Pete are OK.

Frank