Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 pm 

BurnZ!

Our WebWizzard, Jim, has been tearing the East Coast apart for nearly a year trying to find a pair of usable beige seatbelts for a NON- 2+2 280zx.
We tried to help him but only came up with a black pair (which were actually sort of purple).

If you have a working pair you could live without, would you please contact him (Webmaster@CTZCC) and see if you guys can make some agreement? I know you would make his day! :D Thanx!

Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:55 am 

I thought the registration was optional, ooops, I guess I broke the law. I actualy have the saddle on my other bike that I actualy use, nice and springy and good size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 pm 

paul.mackin wrote:
Did they have battery technology back then? Wasn't it a wire to a gear/ampmeter thingamigigy driven by the tire, so the faster you went the brighter it got. bike pump?? Didn't you just ride it back home as far as you could until the tire would rip offf, then walk it the rest of the way home and fix it there.
Yeah, they used to have the little generator bottles, was actually shaped like a bottle and the top of it leaned against the tire and turned to generate power while you rolled, had to keep rolling if you wnated to see where you were going, you stopped and the light stopped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:00 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Yeah ~ they had silver RayOvac "9 lives" batteries in them, which lasted almost 20 minutes if your neighborhood buddy didn't play with the switch and leave it on during the daytime. The little rear wheel dynamos only came on the real expensive bikes, like the Raleigh "English Racer", which could cost as much as $100! (My first Austin Healey cost me $200).

The tire pumps were a worthless gesture to make you feel "prepared" for a disaster. The pressure in the "skinny" tires was astronomical compared to the fat tires of other bikes, so you could walk home from anyplace in your own Hemisphere in the same amount of time it would have taken you to actually pump one of those tires up. I think the pump was best used as a bludgeon to ward off would-be thieves who wanted to steal your $100 bike.Guy in my neighborhhod when i was a kid gave me a Raleigh that sat in his barn for a number of years with dry rotted tires, he had a 59 Vette so he had definitely moved on from the bike days

And they had "license plate" brackets on the rear of the seat (excuse me, on the rear of the SADDLE), because all bikes back then had to be registered with the police. No penalty if you didn't do it, but the cops would stop you and hassle you if you didn't have one, and turn your bike upside down and copy the number off the pedal cylinder. That's how I first learned a bike had a VIN number! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 pm 

Frank T wrote:
Yeah ~ they had silver RayOvac "9 lives" batteries in them, which lasted almost 20 minutes if your neighborhood buddy didn't play with the switch and leave it on during the daytime. The little rear wheel dynamos only came on the real expensive bikes, like the Raleigh "English Racer", which could cost as much as $100! (My first Austin Healey cost me $200).

The tire pumps were a worthless gesture to make you feel "prepared" for a disaster. The pressure in the "skinny" tires was astronomical compared to the fat tires of other bikes, so you could walk home from anyplace in your own Hemisphere in the same amount of time it would have taken you to actually pump one of those tires up. I think the pump was best used as a bludgeon to ward off would-be thieves who wanted to steal your $100 bike. Guy in my neighborhhod when i was a kid gave me a Raleigh that sat in his barn for a number of years with dry rotted tires, he had a 59 Vette so he had definitely moved on from the bike days

And they had "license plate" brackets on the rear of the seat (excuse me, on the rear of the SADDLE), because all bikes back then had to be registered with the police. No penalty if you didn't do it, but the cops would stop you and hassle you if you didn't have one, and turn your bike upside down and copy the number off the pedal cylinder. That's how I first learned a bike had a VIN number! :cry:
Guy in my neighborhhod when i was a kid gave me a Raleigh that sat in his barn for a number of years with dry rotted tires, he had a 59 Vette so he had definitely moved on from the bike days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:48 am 

Hey Paul, what are "Lemon Races"? I lived all over NC and never heard that term. I know what a Lemon car is (one which always breaks down, probably built on a bad Monday morning at the factory), but never heard of anyone racing them. Are they like Demolition Derbys?
Frank T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:52 pm 

I just saw it on T.V. I believe it's call the "24 hours of Lemons" a take off of Lemans. I hope I saw it on T.V. and didn't have one of those realistic dreams again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:43 pm 

I've seen that written up in Motor Trend or Car and Driver, forgot which, any way the magazine was participting in the race too, i think the purchase price limit for the cars is like $500 or so, then of course it does have to be safety prepped so nobody gets killed in the cars....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:44 pm 

Of course it's true, how could anyone dream or make this stuff up!!

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/4/18793 ... sg-1879371

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:47 pm 

Of course it's true, how could anyone dream or make this stuff up!!

http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/4/18793 ... sg-1879371

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:02 pm 

Well I always wanted to race, but felt my handicap might interfere, now I don't care, this might be the race for me. I think my 75 I bought from the junk yard should qualify. It might take some time to do this, for I will put my f54 flat top block in it, the n42 head, zx tranni. and I got a 4.11 rear end. Thinking out loud, options, so many with Z's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 pm 

You gotta keep it under $500 or get disqualified!

This looks like FUN, but I'd get kicked out before the race started. Did you read all the rules? Even the SCCA isn't that absurd!

Thanks for this!
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:54 am 

Basically all that stuff and the car amount to me paying $0,000.00. Besides me getting my teaching degree for automotive, racing is my last frontier. I really don't want to leave this world without going on the track, I feel I have a natural for it, but let to many things and other people get in my way. By the way, I watch "Winning " last night for the first time, great movie, those were the days, and now more influenced. It's amazaing how you miss somebody, and you never met.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:03 am 

By the way, in case anyone's interested, AirJockie had an R200 Limited Slip differential on his garage floor last time I looked. He is selling a lot of his toys right now but I'm too close to broke to chase it. Nice addition to a project car. (Pretty sure it was an R200 ~ maybe an R180. Ask him).

He hasn't advertised it yet in our PARTS & CARS FOR SALE, but he said he would sell it when Bryan and I were there last.