Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:28 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:26 am 

It's hard to find good things to say about fuel prices today, but having survived the (artificial) "fuel shortage" of the early 1970s, I want to invite your attention to at least two silver linings in this storm cloud.
As teenagers in the 1960s we spent $.27/gal for gasoline. It wasn't uncommon to find four gas stations at an intersection engaged in "price wars", with each corner trying to UNDER price his competitors. They offered weird gifts, full service (checking your oil, transmission, tire pressure, and washing your windshield) for each customer, and I can remember paying only $.23/gal at one place. Fuel cost was simply not an issue for us. (Where have all the good times gone?)
1973 changed all that, and gas prices soared outrageously to $1.27/gal overnight.
You also couldn't buy more than 3 gal at a time at some stations, and eventually they dictated WHO could buy gas on any given day. The last digit of your license plate number denoted which days you were "allowed" to get into long lines to buy gasoline. Odd numbers on odd days, etc.
Some guys I knew kept "found" license plates in their trunk which they mounted on their car during the appropriate day, so they could buy $3 of gas each day. (Don't take my word for this ~ ask any Baby Boomer).
About the time General Motors released their baseline 350V8-2bbl engine, the federal government lowered the nation-wide speed limit to 55mph. Ironically this was the EXACT speed at which these engines got their worst gas milage (you could actually get better mileage at 60mph). Times were tough. But what I saw happen next was both sad and exciting.

USED CAR LOTS BEGAN FILLING UP WITH THE GREAT CARS FROM THE 1960s, at bargain prices. 409 Chevys, Tri-power GTOs, 421 Dual-Quad Bonnyvilles, Z28 Camaros and all manner of the hot MOPAR Rapid Transit System cars became available for ridiculous prices; (my hometown had a 426 dual quad Super Stock Dodge for $3400 ~ and it didn't sell!). The streets began filling up with silly new cars ~ Vegas, Gremlins, and Pintos. Gas mileage figures became THE major selling point for new cars.

NOW I SAID ALL THAT TO SAY THIS:
As bad as fuel prices are today, they are forcing the same events to take place that we experienced in the 1970s. Guys who have to choose btwn feeding their families or driving their cherished dreamcars are making the responsible choice. We are already seeing some really great cars being offered for far less than it cost to restore them, and I fear that will continue. As we evolve toward Mini Coopers and Mercedes Smart Cars in every driveway, some truly great classic machinery will become available at bargain prices. Add the consideration of the current Sub-Prime Rate and Real Estate crises and the scenario becomes more desperate. If you fail to see my point here, please ask yrslf what it could be worth to you to have a low-mileage original 440 'Cuda or Dodge Charger sitting in your garage today, because you bought it for a song back in 1974?
Now, the Z Car has become the BEST-SELLING SPORTSCAR in history. In all it's forms, it has outsold all the Jags, MGs, Triumphs, Healeys and Alfas worldwide. It's a true classic car. While it's sad to see a loving owner save his home or marriage by selling his cherished Z Car, it offers a great opportunity to acquire one of these beauties affordably. There will be fewer and fewer 240s and 260s as time rolls on, making them even more valuable in the future. NOW IS THE TIME TO BUY A CLASSIC Z CAR. (Sorry ~ mine ain't for sale!)

A recent weekday roadtrip revealed the other advantage of $4/gal gasoline. There was NOBODY on the highway! Just like 1973, nobody's going anywhere unless they have to. That leaves a lot of open road to enjoy.
ENJOY!
And try to view this temporary crisis as the opportunity it is.
FRANK T
HLS30-02807

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:18 pm 

Nicely put Frank and that a fairly good overall analysis of how it went. I graduated from highschool in '73 and also WITNESSED the fallout of the first oil crisis. The nice thing was I didn't have to go to that little vacation location in SE Asia called Viet Nam. Miss that bullet.....literally. I spent the next 10+ years in the Solar Energy Biss. until '84 when the bottom fell out of the market. I would seem that 25 yrs later we are back in the same boat...maby worse :cry: :x My Heating Oil tanks are on mt and at $4.25/gal last week, it will cost me almost $3k to fillup. :cry: :evil: :shock: :? :lol: :lol:. NYMEX SHUT DOWN TODAY TRIPING THE INTERDAY UPPER TRADING LIMIT ON Heating Oil and NEARLY AGAIN on Raw Crude which closed today at another record HIGH of nearley $139/barrel...........OUCH. But your right about the sale of all those great cars back then, maybe I can find a good deal on a GT40, Daytona Coupe or even a Ferrari 559 this summer. Nice Idea Anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:33 pm 

Heck, Dave, I'd buy any one of THEM just to LOOK at it, even if I couldn't afford to drive it! :lol:

Did you see Ford's "new" GT40 car last year? I saw a group of Fake Snake cobras parked at the Hamden mall one afternoon, raced to the Ford dealer across the street and told the salesman they were there ~ he grabbed the key to the GT40 and flew across the street and parked with them.

Within an hour there were about 40 people milling all around the cars.
I have Ephotos somewhere; I used one of the cobras as wallpaper until you posted your triple SU setup, which replaced it!

Did you get the Ferrari 250 GTO flick I sent you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:58 pm 

Yes indeed they are very 8) . But all things considered I would prefer them without the cupholder, carpeting and Corinthian Leather. I would prefer the older vintage models, even a look-a-like set up well. My trips pushed aside a Cobra.....I'M flattered :shock: :o :) Yes I did see the clp of the GTO VERY NICE THANK YOU! How do you save it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 pm 

I have no idea how to save it!

I just keep watching it 30 times a day, to make sure i don't lose it!

:lol: