Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Forums

Username:  
Password:  
Log me on automatically each visit
Register 
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am
Welcome to the Connecticut Z Car Club Discussion Forums   
If you have trouble logging in or encounter any issues, please send an email to webmaster@ctzcc.com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Frolick in Germany
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:44 am 

Frolicking in Germany until my money runs out. I got passed on the autobahn by a new Ferrari at over 120mph, so now I can die happy. My newly restored 1966 BMW motorcycle is great fun, but on its 200km shake-down cruise it blew a seal in the rear shaft drive differential which lubricated the rear drum brakes with oil. I discovered that coming off the autobahn and trying to stop at a crosswalk full of kids. Scary stuff; had to put the bike down to prevent squashing some innocent German school kids but no damage or harm resulted. Bike is now in the shop becoming roadworthy again.
The timing is good - while shopping in a small German town I saw a guy trying to rob a woman and ran across the street and tackled him. He was younger than me (by about 50 years) so he got up first and escaped, but he dropped all the items he was stealing from the woman. I banged my knee on the pavement and it swelled up like an orange for a week, so I couldn’t have ridden the bike during this time, anyway. Perfect timing. I am exploring the country by train for a week or two and will be back on the bike as soon as it’s ready.

Thor is an outstanding help to me, arranging for whatever I need, giving tourist advice, having his friends meet me all over the country and even letting me stay in his guest room a few times. I have visited the tiny village where my family originated from in the 1600s and met one living relative (6th cousin). I got met by the Bergermeister and treated like royalty for two days and got to tour the region my ancestors farmed 400yrs ago. There is even Roman village remains from 2,000 yrs ago outside town.
I will return to spend more time there when the BMW has brakes again. I have visited Baden-Wittenberg, Rhineland Palatinate, Hesse, and today am in Mannheim. Tomorrow I tour Heidelberg and other smaller places until the bike is ready. Then I’m off to the Nurburgring, Hockenheim, and the Black Forest until my time is up at the end of June.

Germany is beautiful in almost every direction, the people are almost universally wonderful (unless they are performing some official duty), and German politics are simply not my business. Gas here is about $8/gal for regular, and I support the German economy by burning as much of it as possible at 47mpg. I can stay at any of the American military bases around the country when I want American food, which is not often. I’ve already lost some weight, worn out one pair of boots and punched another notch in my belt.
I’ll try to report as often as I get near a computer. Miss y’all but l’m too busy to notice it.

Z ya!
Frank T

Post subject: Re: Frolick in Germany
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:32 pm 

Nice update and nice work w/ the punk.

Al